Yet more Tory sleaze….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Sunak in hot water over a £1000 bet with Piers Morgan.
How many people can afford to drop £1000 on a silly bet?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68209330

3,333 meals for 30p Lee

Beebo

Veteran
You mean as opposed to the other headlines prepared:-

"Multimillionaire Sunak wouldn't accept a £1000 bet with Piers Morgan - he's tight and even he doesn't think he can deliver..."

No. he could have said he was confident without the need to have a silly childish bet.

icowden

Legendary Member
No. he could have said he was confident without the need to have a silly childish bet.
Although Rwandan refugees charity benefits either way...

But yes. If he was actually clever he would, as you say, have not honoured the bet and top-trumped Moron by stating a public donation of say £25,000 to the charity in view of the good work that it does. Might have gone down better.

matticus

Guru
Although Rwandan refugees charity benefits either way...

But yes. If he was actually clever he would, as you say, have not honoured the bet and top-trumped Moron by stating a public donation of say £25,000 to the charity in view of the good work that it does. Might have gone down better.

You're suggesting a populist stunt.
I've no liking for Sunak (and certainly not for the Rwanda plan), but why should he get approval from you or me on how he spends a grand?

icowden

Legendary Member
You're suggesting a populist stunt.
I've no liking for Sunak (and certainly not for the Rwanda plan), but why should he get approval from you or me on how he spends a grand?
He shouldn't. But now put yourselves in his shoes. Piers Moron has just offered you a bet for £1000 to try and make you look stupid.
How would you respond to best present yourself and get the most favourable press, given that you are a multimillionaire who can put your money where your mouth is?

icowden

Legendary Member
The rest of your verbiage is just trying to belittle him over a trivial (to him) bet which is nothing to do with you.
Er... no?
I'm having a low tolerance for personal attacks day. Sue me.
Possibly a low tolerance for reading day also. @Beebo reported what was being reported in the Press. I just pointed out that Sunak was going to lose either way. @Beebo suggested that he could have just refused the bet. I suggested that another approach might have been to refuse it, and to ensure the charity got money, leaving fewer avenues of attack.

So no personal attacks involved. We are talking about what the best way out of that situation might have been for Sunak. It's a thought experiment. A variation of the trolley-car conundrum if you will.

matticus

Guru
Er... no?

Possibly a low tolerance for reading day also. @Beebo reported what was being reported in the Press. I just pointed out that Sunak was going to lose either way. @Beebo suggested that he could have just refused the bet. I suggested that another approach might have been to refuse it, and to ensure the charity got money, leaving fewer avenues of attack.

So no personal attacks involved. We are talking about what the best way out of that situation might have been for Sunak.

My apologies - I'm sure you had nothing but good intentions, and would be truly happy if Sunak were to read your posts, jump in a time-machine, and make everyone happier by following your advice!

Top Bottom