Who will be the next Tory leader?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
But usual protocol would be for a member of the government to resign if they were voting against the sitting PM. Which is why the assumption is made that those who didn’t resign ( a few did) voted for Johnson.
You do know we are talking about a Tory government led by Johnson, don't you?

Protocol is for the plebs.

Salty seadog

Frankly this would make a better PM:

View attachment 1384

And a nice little HIGNFY connection.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
She looks nice. Let's give her a go.

I think the talk of Johnson having to go now is a bit premature. It's in his character to brazen it out. Thatcher and May both fell on their sword because they actually cared about the Tory party. Johnson just cares about himself.

I think he'll brazen it out for a few months then retire to 'spend more time with his family', but still finding time to write a column for the Telegraph.

Thatcher and May both fell on their sword because they actually cared about the Tory party.

More to the point, there was a successor waiting to pounce. OK, Heseltine didn’t succeed but he cleared the way for Major. Johnson was the obvious choice after May. Now Sunak has been found out there’s no obvious candidate to rally round. So Johnson stays for a while and will become increasingly erratic.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
More to the point, there was a successor waiting to pounce. OK, Heseltine didn’t succeed but he cleared the way for Major. Johnson was the obvious choice after May. Now Sunak has been found out there’s no obvious candidate to rally round. So Johnson stays for a while and will become increasingly erratic.

True. I bet Sunak's kicking himself though. There he was, all teed up to follow Johnson, then managed to piss on his chips. Wonder if his chance will come again.

Milkfloat

True. I bet Sunak's kicking himself though. There he was, all teed up to follow Johnson, then managed to piss on his chips. Wonder if his chance will come again.

Did he piss on his chips or did someone do it for him. I suspect the latter, but he left the door wide open.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Could be. People have short memories though so I reckon he's still in the queue, though probably leader-after-next, not this time. Of course, there could arise a shining new star who could eclipse all current favourites, but as the most prominent Tories MP's seem to be fairly bonkers I'm not seeing one. I wish the media exposure of MP's wasn't limited to the same old faces (on both sides), wheeled out to give soundbites. I suppose the sensible ones are busy working for their constituents, not hanging around trying to get on the telly or a quote in the papers..

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
How are we feeling about the suggestion that Right to Buy is being pushed again? Sounds like a cheap and easy ploy to win votes. It seems a good thing in principle but all it leads to is more housing being removed from the lower end of the rental market, forcing low earners into private renting. A commitment to build more affordable properties or council housing would be better but that actually costs money and causes rows over planning.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I'd rather they just taxed buy to let massively and made it far less profitable. Like a capital gains tax when you sell a property that's been a btl. There's a need for it in university towns and probably a bigger need for renting than in the past because people are more willing to move around for work, but it's not healthy when so many people are priced out of the market and those who can never afford to buy are left to pay high rents or have a long commute.

Milkfloat

Buy to let has been considerably less profitable since 2015, so much so that it seems there is not enough supply of properties to let. It seems reducing the supply of privately owned rental properties without increasing state owned is not a great idea.

Top Bottom