The next General Election....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Hope you're right @AndyRM - I am aware I have a tendency to stave off inevitable & crippling disappontment by embracing black, crushing nihilism, but the change in Corbyn's fortunes between 2017 & 2019 feel like an object lesson. There's also the growing complication of the Indy Splitter parties taking SNP votes and gifting seats to Starmer's drones. And if the SNP do look threatening, as you say Labour have previous for exhorting their base to vote Blue Fash.

I'd love to be right. I fear I am not. Whenever a politician with any credibility steps up they get absolutely ripped to bits. Charles Kennedy always sticks in my mind in this respect, a wonderful and open politician who was totally betrayed by his own party.

C R

Über Member
I'd love to be right. I fear I am not. Whenever a politician with any credibility steps up they get absolutely ripped to bits. Charles Kennedy always sticks in my mind in this respect, a wonderful and open politician who was totally betrayed by his own party.

I think the betrayal bit glosses over his alcohol problems, which were an open secret at the time. I think many in the party helped move him away with a very heavy heart, but they really had no option.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think the SNP are going to get utterly stuffed. They may have done nothing wrong (apart from being stupid & supine) but the relentless attacks & toxification from MSM & opposition parties will Corbynise them to the extent that people go - "I don't want to vote Labour - but I can't vote for THEM". I'm pretty confident most SNP voters aren't highly engaged pro-indy activists, Starmer's ButI'mNotTheTories schtick will be good enough, so that'll be the independence movement in the bin again for decades.

And you're right - Starmer will be a one-term miracle of underachieving dismalness, fiddling around the edges of the ToryScape he inherits, pulling a sad face & tearfully bleating "fiscal ruuuules" as he changes absolutely jack sh!t for anyone who's not a lobbyist or donor.

Then it'll be New And Exciting Tories again, painting their own mess as Starmer's becauses he will have fixed nothing and promising shiny, fresh hate, bigotry and sovereignty, triumphantly reducing Labour to a relative handful of seats - mostly in Scotland where the only Tories we'll grudgingly vote for are the Red Ones.

And then follows at least a decade of Tory government, worse than anything we've seen before and under which a significant proportion of us - definitely me - will draw our dying breath.

Oh yeah - happy New Year, you bunch of cünts. 😘

Where is the nearest high bridge I wonder? ;)

😄

Attachments

• IMG_1110.png
    IMG_1110.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 35

ebikeerwidnes

how is he the kiss of death? The Tories are quite literally UKIP now.

He is also quite popular among some parts of the Tory party membership - or so I have read

you know the ones - the ones that wanted Truss to be leader - and probably still do if Johnson is not available

Reactions: C R

icowden

Legendary Member
He is also quite popular among some parts of the Tory party membership - or so I have read
He certainly wasn't a pariah at the Tory Party Conference:-

View: https://youtu.be/hPKcmk5uOBo?si=jUBym0RPmMa5mJBV

multitool

Shaman
He certainly wasn't a pariah at the Tory Party Conference:-

View: https://youtu.be/hPKcmk5uOBo?si=jUBym0RPmMa5mJBV

Well, that would depend where that was. The Tory party is riven with factions. Very possible for Farage to appear at a side event, but be shunned elsewhere.

Farage's moves will be determined solely by whatever Farage thinks is best for Farage. He'd very likely be popular with grass roots party members (the people who voted Truss in, but not Sunak), but that doesn't mean he'd be popular in a constituency election, nor a GE as party leader.

Can't see it myself. I don't know how it could work with him not only not being an MP, but failing repeatedly in his attempts to become one. Even if he did, he might only view himself as an opposition leader for a few years and nothing else because as a populist he can say whatever the hell he likes and never be held to account, rather than as PM where he has to show success and delivery (for example: note how he has distanced himself from Brexit).

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
The one thing that unfailingly unifies all the nutter factions in the Tory party is power. If they had reason to think Farage could dig them out of their current polling black hole & change their likely electoral fortunes, they'd find a way.

A convenient by-election, a sneaky little peerage, a safe seat at the GE with strong hints he's Leader-In-Waiting. They would find a way, never doubt that.

icowden

Legendary Member
Well, that would depend where that was. The Tory party is riven with factions. Very possible for Farage to appear at a side event, but be shunned elsewhere.
It was an after party hosted by GB News. All the great and good were there. Priti nasty patel, Nigel "No no no let me speak" Farage, Liz "I know!" Truss and many more.
https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/tory-conference-priti-patel-karaoke-b2423024.html

He was at the main conference as well:-
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-party-conference-nigel-farage-us-republicans
This week in Manchester, Farage strode around the conference like a hungry crocodile, sizing up his prey. The rock-star reception he attracted suggests the faithful would quite like to be eaten. Farage has partly remoulded the Conservatives in his image by menacing them from the outside. It may well be that he will stick to his devastatingly successful strategy, using external leverage to keep coercing the Tories into adopting his agenda.

Top Bottom