Who will be the next Tory leader?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hadn't realised he'd left parliament a couple if years ago. The half decent ones get fed up I suppose.

Purged.

What’s astonishing is that most of those that opposed Johnson‘s leadership (Stewart, Gauke, Grieve et al) either left or were ejected, yet within three years 148 of his own MPs voted against him. That’s quite a conversion rate.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
No, but it's possible to quantify vested interests.

How does one get to 75% then? Is it based on the assumption that everyone on the payroll voted for him? How many MPs are on the payroll?
I hope that the figure is correct because it is bad for Johnson, but I suspect a lot of people on the payroll will have voted against him safe in the knowledge they will never be found out. Most of them are pretty certain to stay on the payroll no matter who the leader is.

PaulB

In my lifetime, I've never seen a British government in power that has no doctrine to speak of beyond vacuous rhetoric but then, this rabble is a construct of Brexit, an aberration rooted in stupidity, lies and deceit so I suppose their current incoherence is logical. Their next 'leader' will be another puppet of the right-wing press and their riches/power-grab mentality.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
How does one get to 75% then? Is it based on the assumption that everyone on the payroll voted for him? How many MPs are on the payroll?
I hope that the figure is correct because it is bad for Johnson, but I suspect a lot of people on the payroll will have voted against him safe in the knowledge they will never be found out. Most of them are pretty certain to stay on the payroll no matter who the leader is.
Those are the assumptions. If all those in government pay voted for their paymaster, that leaves 75% of backbenchers voting against Johnson. Of course, the assumptions can neither be proved nor be reliable.

In passing, how comes bus stop P in Parliament Square knew the result in advance?
Bus stop.png

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Purged.

What’s astonishing is that most of those that opposed Johnson‘s leadership (Stewart, Gauke, Grieve et al) either left or were ejected, yet within three years 148 of his own MPs voted against him. That’s quite a conversion rate.

Having read about Johnson I'm only surprised it took that long.

Beebo

Veteran

But usual protocol would be for a member of the government to resign if they were voting against the sitting PM. Which is why the assumption is made that those who didn’t resign ( a few did) voted for Johnson.

Top Bottom