The next General Election....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking ahead to the next GE, this doesn't bode well:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...et-to-be-most-unequal-in-60-years-study-finds

The next election is set to be the most unequal in 60 years thanks to a rising gap in voter turnout based on age, income, class, home ownership and ethnicity, a new study has found.
The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR), a centre-left thinktank, found that the turnout gap was negligible between social groups in the 1960s, but that it had grown by 2010 to 18 percentage points between the top set of earners – who are more likely to vote – and the bottom set.
It rises to a 23-point gap between homeowners – who were more likely to vote – and renters, and a 15-point gap between graduates and those who did not go to university. There are 28 points between those aged 61 and over who were more likely to vote than 18-24-year-olds.
The IPPR found that nine in every 10 people in the top third of the income distribution voted in the two most recent general elections, compared with only seven in 10 from the bottom third.

We need the young and the most disadvantaged to vote... problem is, who is listening and looking after their best interests? Nobody that I can see....

classic33

A big turnoff for some is the simple fact their current MP shows no interest in the area that they the voter lives in. Visiting their constituency generally in the two months before election day.
Both the Labour and Co-Operative party and the Conservative and Unionists want the voting age lowering. Not because they believe the younger end should have a say in how things are run, more because they believe that the younger voters will be easier fool than older ones.

If you've voted before and seen what they promised and what they actually did you'd be less inclined to believe them. The younger generation hasn't had this yet, so should be unaware of it. And if they are, it doesn't matter as they'll not vote next time, but there will be another lot come through by then that they can "manipulate" come election time.

There is also the increase in election spending, if you lower the voting age. Initial spike when they made postal voting easier, but that is dropping. But that initial spike is all that they are interested in.

When you see an elected MP at the count taking photos of the count in action, beneath a sign that shows no mobile phones or cameras to be used, you have to wonder in what reality are they're living.

It is worrying yes. I saw a statistic on Youtube (so unsure if true) that said during the Trump/Biden election, non-voters accounted for more than either President received in votes.

Don't know if it's opportunity or desire that is lacking in this country. Probably a bit of both

Both the Labour and Co-Operative party and the Conservative and Unionists want the voting age lowering. Not because they believe the younger end should have a say in how things are run, more because they believe that the younger voters will be easier fool than older ones.

Wasn't aware the Tories favoured votes at 16 though I think the Lib Dems do.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It is not only General Elections, voter turn out at local Council level is even worse than GE. This is particularly worrying with the current trend towards "regional mayors".

If people had some faith in their Politicians, turnout may improve?, but, I don't see that happening any time soon.

CXRAndy

Veteran
I shall not be voting, haven't voted since before last GE in either local or general elections

bobzmyunkle

I shall not be voting, haven't voted since before last GE in either local or general elections
Not tempted by this Andy?

'Dream ticket' of Johnson and Farage mooted by some Tory MPs https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tml?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

CXRAndy

Veteran

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
% turnout at general elections, if anybody is interested. General apathy and a sense of disillusionment now with all parties? Post war there must have seemed a lot more at stake and like it was the dawn of a new era so perhaps voting seemed really important.

Turnout-at-UK-general-elections-graph-3.png

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
PR is fairer but given voter apathy the ones more likely to turn out to vote when they know their tiny party might actually get a seat could well be the people with less mainstream opinions.

Top Bottom