What is the point of prison?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

What's your point Shep? I'm struggling here.

Your last comment seems to be blaming the Government for the pandemic?

Your last comment seems to be blaming the Government for the pandemic?

The Tories are to blame then?

The Tories are responsible for their piss-poor response to the pandemic.

Are you SO fixated with the Government you blame everything on them? I don't remember the World being much different when Labour were in last time, we had people in prison, we had terrorism, we had poverty or does it only happen under the Tories?

The world is very different now and the country deserves better than being run by a bunch of crooks. Anyway, this is a bit of a thread derail. Apologies.

D

Deleted member 28

I would imagine this disease has spread to every country in the World, some have faired better than others admittedly but to say you missed the last pandemic under labour is a good one, were the liberals to blame for the Spanish flu outbreak in 1918?

I don't really seem to remember much difference when Labour were in last time, perhaps your life was I don't know?

I daresay there have been crooks in every Government going but perhaps you like look elsewhere for things not going well for you?

icowden

Legendary Member
I don't really seem to remember much difference when Labour were in last time, perhaps your life was I don't know?
I daresay there have been crooks in every Government going but perhaps you like look elsewhere for things not going well for you?

Not much difference. I seem to recall that my children could travel to Europe and work in 27 countries without a problem and that we had a reciprocal healthcare arrangement, free trade and many other benefits. I don't recall Court rooms being closed due to lack of maintenance, and I do recall that people could actually get Legal Aid before almost 50% of the budget was cut (not including the 25% budget cuts in the justice system overall).

I recall that we had 20,000 more police officers and many more nurses etc. I recall that we had people to pick our fruit, slaughter our animals and that Vets weren't just working in Customs due to a pointless exit from a free trade agreement that we massively benefitted from.

I recall that our Politicians weren't great but didn't repeatedly break the law and try to use Parliament to get their mates off the hook.
I recall that the UK was respected by other countries and considered a world power instead of a 3rd rate backwater country.

Should I go on?

icowden

Legendary Member
It might seem harsh when you look at what people get for violence, but I'd say those are clearly deterrent sentences. One of the protestors explicitly said he would do it again if he wasn't jailed. What would have been a better course? A fine or community service? They would still be out and able to do the same thing again.

And that would be awful. Imagine if they just kept on annoying drivers a bit in order to try and save the planet.
Alternatively it might just have been better for the Government to meet with them and look at maybe doing more to provide insulation grants to help people insulate their properties?

It's a long shot, but probably more cost effective than a prison sentence.

D

Deleted member 28

Not much difference. I seem to recall that my children could travel to Europe and work in 27 countries without a problem and that we had a reciprocal healthcare arrangement, free trade and many other benefits. I don't recall Court rooms being closed due to lack of maintenance, and I do recall that people could actually get Legal Aid before almost 50% of the budget was cut (not including the 25% budget cuts in the justice system overall).

I recall that we had 20,000 more police officers and many more nurses etc. I recall that we had people to pick our fruit, slaughter our animals and that Vets weren't just working in Customs due to a pointless exit from a free trade agreement that we massively benefitted from.

I recall that our Politicians weren't great but didn't repeatedly break the law and try to use Parliament to get their mates off the hook.
I recall that the UK was respected by other countries and considered a world power instead of a 3rd rate backwater country.

Should I go on?
Oh dear, Brexit not going too well for you then?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
And that would be awful. Imagine if they just kept on annoying drivers a bit in order to try and save the planet.
Alternatively it might just have been better for the Government to meet with them and look at maybe doing more to provide insulation grants to help people insulate their properties?

It's a long shot, but probably more cost effective than a prison sentence.

Well your 'annoying drivers' is someone else's not getting to work or missing a hospital appointment.

Does your solution apply to every just cause or just the ones you agree with? If a group bring traffic to a standstill because they want the government to ban abortion, should they get the same consideration? Allowed to do so for quite a while, and then just a fine? Should the government meet with the anti-abortion lobby because it's cheaper than a prison sentence? And then meet the next group who glue themselves to the road? And the next?

We have a system whereby you can freely demonstrate and campaign, within limits. Quite right that you can do so. Most importantly you can use your vote. If the ear of government depends on how effectively you can hold the country to ransome, it's not really democracy.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Oh dear, Brexit not going too well for you then?
I know that as long as all is going OK in your little world you are as happy as a pig in sh*t, but some people look outside their own little lives and actually think about a bit more than just what's in it for them.

On the other hand thinking could be a bit of a strain for you, so stay just as sweet, and blinkered, as you are.

FishFright

Well your 'annoying drivers' is someone else's not getting to work or missing a hospital appointment.

Does your solution apply to every just cause or just the ones you agree with? If a group bring traffic to a standstill because they want the government to ban abortion, should they get the same consideration? Allowed to do so for quite a while, and then just a fine? Should the government meet with the anti-abortion lobby because it's cheaper than a prison sentence? And then meet the next group who glue themselves to the road? And the next?

We have a system whereby you can freely demonstrate and campaign, within limits. Quite right that you can do so. Most importantly you can use your vote. If the ear of government depends on how effectively you can hold the country to ransome, it's not really democracy.

A protest that affects no one is a pointless exercise that will never change anything.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
A protest that affects no one is a pointless exercise that will never change anything.

Taking the knee directly affects no-one but seems to have had some effect.

Is there a line you would draw for what is acceptable in terms of effects? Who gets to draw that line?

OP
OP
swansonj

swansonj

Regular
Taking the knee directly affects no-one but seems to have had some effect.

Is there a line you would draw for what is acceptable in terms of effects? Who gets to draw that line?
Taking the knee raises the blood pressure of some Tories and exposes their racism, hypocrisy etc, so a win-win.😀

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I wonder who has the contract for this 🙄
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/offenders-to-be-banned-from-drinking-to-cut-alcohol-fuelled-crime
Would it maybe not be better to try and help people who are dependant of alcohol ?

Does it matter who has the Contract, if it works?

I notice this section too:

"Earlier this year, the government launched another world-first, using GPS tags to track prolific robbers, thieves and burglars. Around 10,000 such offenders are expected to be tagged over the next 3 years to stop them reoffending and help police catch them if they carry on."

Of course, it is only petty crime, so, not really important, unless of course you (not you personally Adam) are the victim, and it is your home which is violated, or bicycle stolen... etc

Top Bottom