Myanmar, one ginormous prison camp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
Not touchy at all, just amused by the disingenuous nature of the part of your response I quoted.

It wasn't disingenuous. It was factual. If all you've ever heard about is ASSK, then you really do know nothing at all about the country or its history.

That isn't a slight, even though...clearly...you are taking it as one. There is no reason why you should necessarily know anything about it.

multitool

Shaman
One could argue that our beloved government are doing/did sonebof the same to the British Windrush generation.
The obviously Myanmar Rohingya were made stateless along some similar lines.

I guess there is a parallel with Israel in that they are being driven towards Bangladesh by extreme violence, in the way that Israel hopes to drive the Palestinians into Egypt and Jordan. But, as I said earlier, it is just one of many conflicts in that country.

Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It wasn't disingenuous. It was factual. If all you've ever heard about is ASSK, then you really do know nothing at all about the country or its history.

That isn't a slight, even though...clearly...you are taking it as one. There is no reason why you should necessarily know anything about it.

if you read my posts properly, as you criticised me of not doing with your post, you would see that I said I knew very little about Myanmar's internal problems until ASSK's troubles started me reading about them quite a few years back, not that I know nothing about them these days.

Until the Rohingya issue and reading about Aung San Suu Kyi some years ago I will freely admit I was not aware of the problems that other ethnic groups had experienced in Myanmar.

multitool

Shaman
if you read my posts properly, as you criticised me of not doing with your post, you would see that I said I knew very little about Myanmar's internal problems until ASSK's troubles started me reading about them quite a few years back, not that I know nothing about them these days.

Jeez. Words really aren't your thing are they. Using the word 'until' implies a change of the condition of the the preceeding clause.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Jeez. Words really aren't your thing are they. Using the word 'until' implies a change of the condition of the the preceeding clause.
And “know“ is different to “knew”. Hint: “Knew” is the past tense of “know”

If all you've ever heard about is ASSK, then you really do know nothing at all about the country or its history.

The truth is, unless you actively seek out news from non-domestic sources, you will never really know much about world events. UK mainstream news has very narrow parameters and is unbelievably sanitised.

This is a pretty good source:

https://www.aljazeera.com/where/myanmar/
Thank you. I never thought of looking at AlJazeera for a different slant on news before you suggested it.

Top Bottom