What is the point of prison?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

It also achieves nothing, people who attend games and chant racist abuse still do and those that don't, don't care.
To be fair I though maybe things are slowly changing ? It's not really as acceptable as it was to be openly racist,it makes you look a prick ? Although some cling to the thought that it's just banter/funny 🙄Football might be a slow process sadly.But I'm sure anyone who watched this would be ashamed/embarrased ?

View: https://youtu.be/b-rFX4TGEYE

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Who thinks it might make a difference is the question though isn't it, the players, the FA, the people who never go to football and see it on the television?
I would say that I've seen a shift in the reception of taking the knee, and that the turning point was was the racist abuse directed at Saka, Sancho and Rashford after the England penalty shoot-out. The government cynically encouraged the racism, misjudging the popularity of the players and the extent to which people liked and empathised with them. Before that, people had given the benefit of the doubt to those who claimed that there was some non-racist justification for booing players. After that it was impossible not to recognise the ugly racism of the booing. There's much more applause and cheering now for taking the knee, and much less booing. You're gonna lose in the end, Shep. ✊🏿

Rusty Nails

Country Member
We can all moan about things that don't make a difference to us and pretend we're all fluffy and caring, what hardship have you encountered?
I couldn't get my usual premium tonic water in the supermarket today. Had to make do with an own brand for my G&T.

Read my post, and engage the brain not the mouth for once. I am one of life's lucky ones, I have a very comfortable life and am insulated from many of the hardships that face less fortunate people, but I don't base all my political opinions and votes on just how things affect me.

If another party was in power and the country was being as badly led as we have been for more than 11 years, then I would be just as critical of that government.

D

Deleted member 28

There's much more applause and cheering now for taking the knee, and much less booing. You're gonna lose in the end, Shep. ✊🏿
Not at the games I go to , the idiots still boo (some ar$eholes can't even keep quiet during the 2 minute silence) and the rest generally do nothing.
What am I going to lose by the way?

Pale Rider

Veteran
For anyone with any experience of the criminal justice system, all this talk of rehabilitation looks incredibly naive.

It's all been tried, and is being tried, many times over.

A significant minority of defendants just will not have it, so it's off to prison for them.

Delighted to see a few of those rebellion or whatever they call themselves punters getting a stretch.

Moral of that story is you can banjo your neighbour, burgle his house, deal drugs and nick almost anything, and still have a fighting chance of avoiding prison.

But do not take the piss out of High Court judges.

They don't like it.

D

Deleted member 49

For anyone with any experience of the criminal justice system, all this talk of rehabilitation looks incredibly naive.

It's all been tried, and is being tried, many times over.

A significant minority of defendants just will not have it, so it's off to prison for them.

Delighted to see a few of those rebellion or whatever they call themselves punters getting a stretch.

Moral of that story is you can banjo your neighbour, burgle his house, deal drugs and nick almost anything, and still have a fighting chance of avoiding prison.

But do not take the piss out of High Court judges.

They don't like it.
From Patel....
Today, nine Insulate Britain activists have been jailed for their part in the protests on the M25.

We will not stand by while these reckless and selfish criminals disrupt the freedoms and livelihoods of hard-working people.
The fecking irony 🙄

matticus

Guru
From Patel....
Today, nine Insulate Britain activists have been jailed for their part in the protests on the M25.

We will not stand by while these reckless and selfish criminals disrupt the freedoms and livelihoods of hard-working people.
The fecking irony 🙄

At least the government have made their law-and-order priotrities clear:
(anyone with a loved on killed/injured by a driver should probably look away)

UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said every motorway and major A-road in the country is now covered by injunctions.

"Anyone who causes misery to motorists may face prison," he tweeted.

Can I please have one of those tiny-wotsit awards, please Sir?!?

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
It always appears to distill down to two basic perspectives, which, perhaps unsurprisingly, tend to fall either side of that same old political divide. Depending on the colour of your scarf, it's either for public protection and rehabilitation, or it's for public revenge.
Q, E, and quite literally, D. 🙄

Pale Rider

Veteran
From Patel....

The fecking irony 🙄

They are reckless and selfish, not least because the protests have caused at least two serious injury collisions in the queues they've deliberately caused.

No one is saying they can't protest, but if they protest in this reckless manner they now know there's a very real possibility of Christmas dinner on Her Majesty.

This is at the heart of a successful criminal justice system - law breakers need to know there will be consequences of their offending.

Fear of detection and fear of punishment is what's required, but all too often both is lacking.

D

Deleted member 49

They are reckless and selfish, not least because the protests have caused at least two serious injury collisions in the queues they've deliberately caused.

No one is saying they can't protest, but if they protest in this reckless manner they now know there's a very real possibility of Christmas dinner on Her Majesty.

This is at the heart of a successful criminal justice system - law breakers need to know there will be consequences of their offending.

Fear of detection and fear of punishment is what's required, but all too often both is lacking.
Did you mean to say certain law breakers...

Pale Rider

Veteran
Did you mean to say certain law breakers...

No.

The vast majority of law breakers want to get away with it, so it comes down to the absence of the two fears.

'Clear up rates are crap, so I'm unlikely to get caught, and even if I do, sentences are routinely ludicrously lenient, always assuming I can't wriggle out of being convicted.'

the snail

No.

The vast majority of law breakers want to get away with it, so it comes down to the absence of the two fears.

'Clear up rates are crap, so I'm unlikely to get caught, and even if I do, sentences are routinely ludicrously lenient, always assuming I can't wriggle out of being convicted.'
Some people don't care about being sent to prison though, perhaps they are institutionalised, or they don't see that they have much to lose. Probably the biggest drivers of criminality are youth, disadvantage and testosterone. If prison was the answer, we'd have the lowest crime rates in europe, rather than one of the worst.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Some people don't care about being sent to prison though

Having now watched thousands of people get locked up, I can tell you the numbers who genuinely don't care about going inside are tiny to the point of irrelevance.

Much mitigation is focused on avoiding immediate custody - the punter couldn't give a stuff what sentence he gets provided it's not jail.

If the two fears of which I speak were present, offending rates would plummet.

Say someone is going to burgle your house.

If I could tap them on the shoulder and say: "I'm not going to stop you, but you will get caught and you will go to jail," I guarantee 99% of offenders would walk away.

Archie_tect

Having now watched thousands of people get locked up, I can tell you the numbers who genuinely don't care about going inside are tiny to the point of irrelevance.

Much mitigation is focused on avoiding immediate custody - the punter couldn't give a stuff what sentence he gets provided it's not jail.

If the two fears of which I speak were present, offending rates would plummet.

Say someone is going to burgle your house.

If I could tap them on the shoulder and say: "I'm not going to stop you, but you will get caught and you will go to jail," I guarantee 99% of offenders would walk away.
I completely agree PR, but turning this round, how can we help people not to offend, for whatever reason, before they do?

Top Bottom