Twitter under Musk....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
He's talking about removing the Block feature. That's a terrible idea, for obvious reasons.

I read the BBC story, apparently other forms of blocking the other bloke will still be available, not that I understood the differences.

Nor can I grasp what the benefit is for Musk.

The more I hear, the more I realise not logging on to twitter/X is the best block of all.

stowie

I read the BBC story, apparently other forms of blocking the other bloke will still be available, not that I understood the differences.

Nor can I grasp what the benefit is for Musk.

The more I hear, the more I realise not logging on to twitter/X is the best block of all.

The mute function removes tweets or replies from your timeline from the person you muted. They can still see your tweets, status and public information. They won't be aware you have muted them.

Blocking completely blocks you from them. They cannot see your tweets, status or public information. They will be aware they have been blocked.

Muting isn't an alternative. Imagine you get concerning death threats from an account where you consider it could be a credible threat. Being unable to block the account will mean leaving the platform completely is the only option to prevent the instigator interacting with you.

Google Play and Apple Store have requirements for social media platforms to allow users to block other users. So if this does happen it may break the T+Cs of the stores used to deliver the apps.

As for why Musk is doing it. No idea. Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense except that he seems to do anything to get attention these days.

Twitter was a good place to get a range of news and opinions since nearly all news outlets would use it. This is becoming less so and twitter is degenerating into a total cess pool.

albion

Guru
https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2023/sep/11/rudy-giuliani-mob-scene-elon-musk-walter-isaacson-book
"Describing stymied attempts to rebrand PayPal, Isaacson writes: “Focus groups showed that the name X.com … conjured up visions of a seedy site"
As well as xxxx, the off topic bit about Giuliani is telling.

Reactions: C R
This could also be in the US mid term thread.
Mainly twitter so the fascinating insight is here.
https://www.poynter.org/fact-checki...-safety-chief-gives-inside-account-yoel-roth/
i think the other side publicized by Musk(an a journalist) showing how a person like her should be far away from ''fact finding'' is far more interesting. under her lead she was absolutely ok with twisting the truth in order to make her favorited party come out of whatever in a better way. and now she is at somekind of factfinding thing? for what to make them disappear?

albion

Guru
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66926080
'X, formerly Twitter, has the biggest proportion of disinformation of six big social networks, a European Commission study has suggested.
It examined over 6,000 unique social media posts across Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, X, and YouTube.
The study analysed content in three countries deemed particularly at risk to disinformation - Spain, Poland and Slovakia.
The BBC has approached X for comment.'

Top Bottom