Common law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I am sure you are right, unless, as I said, you are the person waiting for the ambulance or fire engine, that day.
So are we going to condemn anyone else on the road, who's purpose we don't personally approve or understand..
That hasnt got full approval of the whole of mainstream society??

I was under the impression that their aim was that "the government should fund the insulation of all social housing by 2025 and "legally-binding national plan" for a low energy and low carbon retrofit of all homes in Britain by 2030."
Yebbut none of that is as important as massive tailbacks of holiday traffic grinding their way through a road network that can't cope, or thronging thousands of p*ssed up footie fans ( some of whom will probs be causing need for an ambulance ) .
These are perfectly legitimate 'holders up of ambulances'..

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that these protestors are going out of their way to draw attention to a really pressing cause, and causing some disruption to 'ordinary decent citizens' while they do it.

There's nothing we Brits hate more than worthy people, with a worthy cause, putting in the hard yards to draw attention to it..

It's so dull , and highly unBritish..

There's nothing we Brits hate more than worthy people, with a worthy cause, putting in the hard yards to draw attention to it..

This^^^^

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
So are we going to condemn anyone else on the road, who's purpose we don't personally approve or understand..
That hasnt got full approval of the whole of mainstream society??

Yebbut none of that is as important as massive tailbacks of holiday traffic grinding their way through a road network that can't cope, or thronging thousands of p*ssed up footie fans ( some of whom will probs be causing need for an ambulance ) .
These are perfectly legitimate 'holders up of ambulances'..

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that these protestors are going out of their way to draw attention to a really pressing cause, and causing some disruption to 'ordinary decent citizens' while they do it.

1. Did I say that?

2. Is that your list of "none approved traffic" then?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Very sad, and a bit funny, trouble is, some people really believe in this stuff..

Anyone fancy an arm wrestle.??

Yes, protests are fantastic, draw attention to your cause, a bit or disruption to "ordinary citizens", unless, of course, you don't have sympathy with the cause and/or methods.

mudsticks

Squire
Yes, protests are fantastic, draw attention to your cause, a bit or disruption to "ordinary citizens", unless, of course, you don't have sympathy with the cause and/or methods.
The cause you don't have to have sympathy with no - but the right to peacefully protest that cause yes you do and should have that right.

aiui some antivaxxers ( with whom i don't personally agree) are using violence and intimidation, and are spreading dangerous misinformation to try to promote their cause.

If they want to peacefully protest they can - but as far as i can see some of their methods go beyond peaceful protest.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I was under the impression that their aim was that "the government should fund the insulation of all social housing by 2025 and "legally-binding national plan" for a low energy and low carbon retrofit of all homes in Britain by 2030."
Actually I have some problems with that. Insulation is not the main thing we need, and to annoy a lot of people over it with protests targetted at traffic rather than directly at the organisations responsible does little for the cause or for gaining support for it. People got alienated from Extinction Rebellion's much sounder demands.

When council homes are fitted with new kit - the last time was new bathrooms under a 'fit to live' banner I think - the work is put out to tender and done on the cheap for profit. I have a couple of friends who had very bad experiences with this. Buildings not designed for insulation don't always take it well, you get damp problems. (Personally I have health problems that mean I need to have windows open for ventilation, so it wouldn't help anyway.)

Lots of people who are privately renting don't need any scrutiny of our homes. Seriously. Official certification or the lack of it will mean we lose them. They may not be up to scratch but if we can afford them and scrape by that's enough.

Community shared green power generation would be a much better idea.

Ian H

Guru
I didn't say you did. It was a question. The ? at the end was a clue.
It was also shown as a quote

mjr

Actually I have some problems with that. Insulation is not the main thing we need, and to annoy a lot of people over it with protests targetted at traffic rather than directly at the organisations responsible does little for the cause or for gaining support for it. People got alienated from Extinction Rebellion's much sounder demands.
What is the main thing we need? You post a lot about what you don't want without ever saying what should happen.

[...] (Personally I have health problems that mean I need to have windows open for ventilation, so it wouldn't help anyway.)
Sympathies for you health problems but wouldn't a mechanical heat-recovery ventilator work just as well for them? Plus you wouldn't be losing so much energy out of the window.

Lots of people who are privately renting don't need any scrutiny of our homes. Seriously. Official certification or the lack of it will mean we lose them. They may not be up to scratch but if we can afford them and scrape by that's enough.
Is it enough? Really? You wouldn't prefer a warm, cheap home that isn't burning the planet?

And if the current pretty basic certification requirements (energy performance rating above F, heating equipment that isn't killing you, and so on) were removed, that would give a free hand to slum lords to start renting out slums again. That seems far worse.

Community shared green power generation would be a much better idea.
A famous site near me has fallen flat on its face, costing tens of thousands per home served IIRC. It just can't match the economies of scale of generation farms. How could that change? It seems like the best we can do is for some of those farms to be community-owned, like Community Power Cornwall seem to do.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
What is the main thing we need? You post a lot about what you don't want without ever saying what should happen.

Sympathies for you health problems but wouldn't a mechanical heat-recovery ventilator work just as well for them? Plus you wouldn't be losing so much energy out of the window.

Is it enough? Really? You wouldn't prefer a warm, cheap home that isn't burning the planet?

And if the current pretty basic certification requirements (energy performance rating above F, heating equipment that isn't killing you, and so on) were removed, that would give a free hand to slum lords to start renting out slums again. That seems far worse.

A famous site near me has fallen flat on its face, costing tens of thousands per home served IIRC. It just can't match the economies of scale of generation farms. How could that change? It seems like the best we can do is for some of those farms to be community-owned, like Community Power Cornwall seem to do.
The main thing we need is education about how to think rather than what to think, at all levels.

Community green energy is what we need to mitigate climate change - where the schemes so far in the UK are flawed this is mostly because funding is channeled into corporate models, in my opinion. Regional devolution would help with this. Wales and Scotland have successful hydro power and more potential for it, as do the Pennines, though on smaller scales, and yes, community owned. We need a strategic plan to site industry where it can work cleanly. The South East has potential for farming. I have said all of this when the issues have cropped up.

Commuter culture has to go, as has the property price bubble. To put that in more positive words we can plan for garden cities where everyone can work or cycle to work, and transport infastructure for moving goods by train or water.

The only thing to stop slum landlords, or higher end speculative landlords, is organisation by tenants to resist them. Genuine social housing has been stolen from us. We should take it back, by any means necessary. Housing co-ops can work, probably even better than council renting, and are a good base for small scale sustainable energy plant. Very local is best I think.

I live in a warm enough, just cheap enough home that isn't burning the planet. This is largely because I am frugal enough with energy. As grants for solar panels were never available in London I started to plan for building my own 12 volt system. I'd rather be co-operating with my neighbours on this though.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Über Member
Lock up who? The residents?; the illegal Parker’s?; both?
This what Shapps had to say about insulate Britain;

Transport Secretary insisted: "I'll continue to do all I can to protect road-users and prevent dangerous, disruptive behaviour."
He said that "anyone who causes misery to motorists may face prison".

Here's what Range Rover mum said

‘I would never hurt anyone. They wasn’t listening to me.
‘When I tried to do it in a nice way they completely ignored me. So my thinking was I would get in the car and rev it a little bit.
‘All of that “ow ow ow” was dramatic and fake. There’s no way it hurt them. They still didn’t move.’

‘[Insulate Britain] were jailed because they were playing with traffic and blocking working-class people from getting to hospital, work, school, etc.
‘I stood up for what I believe in and wasn’t jailed because I didn’t actually hurt anyone. Ow ow ow NO’.

Seems cut and dried to me who should be locked up.

Top Bottom