Common law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Bit of an odd story. The school has no catchement area so people can be coming from anywhere to go to school. Council have decided that both the official drop off car park and the car park opposite weren't being managed well so closed them due to "if you run a kid over in the car parks, we have some responsibility - if you do it in the road or a residential street then it isn't our problem".

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Bit of an odd story. The school has no catchement area so people can be coming from anywhere to go to school. Council have decided that both the official drop off car park and the car park opposite weren't being managed well so closed them due to "if you run a kid over in the car parks, we have some responsibility - if you do it in the road or a residential street then it isn't our problem".
Wales Online is full of odd stories. It's just crap clickbait journalism....but the readers' comments are even worse.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
This what Shapps had to say about insulate Britain;

Transport Secretary insisted: "I'll continue to do all I can to protect road-users and prevent dangerous, disruptive behaviour."
He said that "anyone who causes misery to motorists may face prison".

Here's what Range Rover mum said

‘I would never hurt anyone. They wasn’t listening to me.
‘When I tried to do it in a nice way they completely ignored me. So my thinking was I would get in the car and rev it a little bit.
‘All of that “ow ow ow” was dramatic and fake. There’s no way it hurt them. They still didn’t move.’

‘[Insulate Britain] were jailed because they were playing with traffic and blocking working-class people from getting to hospital, work, school, etc.
‘I stood up for what I believe in and wasn’t jailed because I didn’t actually hurt anyone. Ow ow ow NO’.

Seems cut and dried to me who should be locked up.

Oh dear, I will have to brush up on my reading. skills and read the article again, I thought it was about School run Parents and inconsiderate parking in a street with double yellow lines, I completely missed the Insulate Britain connection.

Mugshot

Über Member
Oh dear, I will have to brush up on my reading. skills and read the article again, I thought it was about School run Parents and inconsiderate parking in a street with double yellow lines, I completely missed the Insulate Britain connection.
Yes, please do, please also consider, "misery to motorists", "prison", and "blocking working-class people" ;)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Well, I did ask nicely, also isn't the issue blocking roads, not the validity of specific cause of the blockers.

Yes, I did note the "please", manners maketh the man (or woman), or, so the saying goes. However, you have still lost me, I didn't express a view as to the actions of the "school run" protesters.

Last edited:

FishFright

Actually I have some problems with that. Insulation is not the main thing we need, and to annoy a lot of people over it with protests targetted at traffic rather than directly at the organisations responsible does little for the cause or for gaining support for it. People got alienated from Extinction Rebellion's much sounder demands.

When council homes are fitted with new kit - the last time was new bathrooms under a 'fit to live' banner I think - the work is put out to tender and done on the cheap for profit. I have a couple of friends who had very bad experiences with this. Buildings not designed for insulation don't always take it well, you get damp problems. (Personally I have health problems that mean I need to have windows open for ventilation, so it wouldn't help anyway.)

Lots of people who are privately renting don't need any scrutiny of our homes. Seriously. Official certification or the lack of it will mean we lose them. They may not be up to scratch but if we can afford them and scrape by that's enough.

Community shared green power generation would be a much better idea.

And don't forget doing nothing is always a lot easier and cheaper , in the short term of course.

And don't forget doing nothing is always a lot easier and cheaper , in the short term of course.
And doing the wrong thing or protesting for one solution that isn't on itself really an solution leads to a wrong sense of doing something, especially since it's unlikely for the government to cough up the whole bill, so it's better if clear answers would be forthcoming, so home owners can see how much it's going to cost them which benefits it will bring, what grants they are entitled too and so on.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
And doing the wrong thing or protesting for one solution that isn't on itself really an solution leads to a wrong sense of doing something, especially since it's unlikely for the government to cough up the whole bill, so it's better if clear answers would be forthcoming, so home owners can see how much it's going to cost them which benefits it will bring, what grants they are entitled too and so on.
We have a scandal still in progress with people who bought flats, often subsidised, in blocks built with dangerous cladding. This ought to be an opportunity for intervention for improvements not only to fire safety but also for green energy refits. Many of these flats are in 'shared ownership' with housing associations that are supposed to be charitable organisations. Instead of pouring good public money towards bad developers the ownership model should be challenged - take them over as social housing, as housing co-ops.

Then we have council tenants being relocated for privately funded regeneration projects. Many of the council estates needed refurbishment, but this wasn't as easy for councils to pay for as to knock them down and sell the land. Then with 'greenwash' in the planning conditions rather than genuine green planning, opportunities for better long term infastructure are wasted. Nothing should be built with commuting in its ethos.

All new developments should have heating from communal systems, perhaps ground heat pumps - which seem the greenest present and future tech, rather than individual gas boilers.

While the funding models are so disastrous a campaign for insulation is little more than a tick-box exercise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom