Common law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ebikeerwidnes

I have been wondering for a while if a scheme would be feasible to get every house to install solar panels and appropriate batteries.

Done properly - which may be a problems - it would appear to solve a lot of problems

icowden

Legendary Member
I have been wondering for a while if a scheme would be feasible to get every house to install solar panels and appropriate batteries.
It's feasible but costs money. It turns out that if you offer people incentives, they will install panels (see italy and germany) - or you have to go for solar in national infrastructure terms (see India and China).

https://www.nesfircroft.com/blog/2021/07/which-countries-are-leading-the-way-with-solar-power

ebikeerwidnes

I have checked it out a few times - but I seem to have a knack of doing so just too late for the incentives

Also - the last time I checked several firms refused to quote - eitehr by not getting in contact or - in 2 cases - lookin on Google Maps as refusing due to some trees - even though the trees never shade the roof because they are on land that is much lower

When we did get some quotes - 1 said it was impossible for some strange reason
and another gave a decent quote but would only install a rubbish battery and insisted on installing a load of extra devices that - on doing some research - were totally useless and came at an extra cost

SO I abandoned the search
But I am thinking of starting again - if a decent incentive crops up once our current projects (bathrooms mostly) are sorted

Done properly - which may be a problems - it would appear to solve a lot of problems
It would be more feasable to convert it into fuel cell(liquid hydrogen) and then use it to either convert back into eletricity at a later time, use as a heating source or use it to power fuel cell cars. in the US they already have several projects using this principle.
But for solar panels on every home to be feasable/usefull there has to be something in place to prevent transporting the power back to the grid because that doesn't work.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I have checked it out a few times - but I seem to have a knack of doing so just too late for the incentives

Also - the last time I checked several firms refused to quote - eitehr by not getting in contact or - in 2 cases - lookin on Google Maps as refusing due to some trees - even though the trees never shade the roof because they are on land that is much lower

When we did get some quotes - 1 said it was impossible for some strange reason
and another gave a decent quote but would only install a rubbish battery and insisted on installing a load of extra devices that - on doing some research - were totally useless and came at an extra cost

SO I abandoned the search
But I am thinking of starting again - if a decent incentive crops up once our current projects (bathrooms mostly) are sorted

One of my drinking Pals was quick off the mark to instal Solar Panels on the roof of his house. He claims he got his money back (ie return of investment), in 7 years. However, that is largely (if not totally) due to him being an 'early adopter', and getting a generous "feed-in tariff". Effectively, other consumers subsidised his solar panel installation, via "green levies". Current "feed-in tariffs" would produce a Break even point of ore like 20 years.

Bearing in mind were we (myself and my Pal) are located (ie North East England), the output from his solar panels is paltry for much of the year (last week he did not even get 100w/day total output).

So, although, "every little helps", I cannot see that his solar panels are going to save the Polar Bears.

ebikeerwidnes

M
Maybe not, but if we ALL adopted green energy solutions then...
Most green things are like that
Me making sure my ebike charger is switched off when not in use makes naff all difference
but if every ebike owner does the same it makes a big difference

same with driving - me dropping from 70 to 65 on motorways saves me a few pence
everyone does it saves a a load of bears - or something

people need to start thinking of the community effort and their duty to that effort

it is the thinking that is the problem

BoldonLad

Maybe not, but if we ALL adopted green energy solutions then...

I don't doubt it, and, I am not saying we should all do that... but... we also need to identify and act upon the "big hitters", ie the old 80/20 rule, if we are to achieve significant advances....... no, I don't know what the "big hitters" are.

One of my drinking Pals was quick off the mark to instal Solar Panels on the roof of his house. He claims he got his money back (ie return of investment), in 7 years. However, that is largely (if not totally) due to him being an 'early adopter', and getting a generous "feed-in tariff". Effectively, other consumers subsidised his solar panel installation, via "green levies". Current "feed-in tariffs" would produce a Break even point of ore like 20 years.

Bearing in mind were we (myself and my Pal) are located (ie North East England), the output from his solar panels is paltry for much of the year (last week he did not even get 100w/day total output).

So, although, "every little helps", I cannot see that his solar panels are going to save the Polar Bears.
Polar bears is an lie anyway.(they never where in the ''extinct phase'') The problem with solar panels is that the wires that deliver the power to your house are also used to transport the power the panels deliver back to the grid. But they are not strong enough for that so in moments those panels can deliver the maximum power(which is still only 10% in our climate) that will automatically switch of as overheating countermeasure. This is not my opinion or insight but what one of the dutch energy network controller/regulator says. They point was to effectively use Solar panel energy they way how they are being installed need to change instead of transporting the power to the grid you need local storage so less power gets wasted. The result for the end costumer will be the same but better, because now they see there meter go back, but with the storage solution the same think will happen but more efficient because it does'nt need to switch off as quickly.
That's also why as it stands the majority or our solar power comes for a few plants/solar farms and as it not the same amount of power everyday we need to find a way to storage it. In the US they convert it to hydrogen to convert it back to electricity once needed or to power fuel cell cars as they do acknowledge that battery power alone is not sufficient or energy efficient. i wonder how much where gonna wast here before we come to the same conclusion.

M

Most green things are like that
Me making sure my ebike charger is switched off when not in use makes naff all difference
but if every ebike owner does the same it makes a big difference
Or how about for the amounts they charge for an ebike how about an charger that switches to ultra low power mode auto automatically once done charging?
same with driving - me dropping from 70 to 65 on motorways saves me a few pence
everyone does it saves a a load of bears - or something

people need to start thinking of the community effort and their duty to that effort

it is the thinking that is the problem
Yeah the city of Utrecht claimed that too, than they installed 100km/h zones and it became more polluting, off course they didn't say ''oh my goss we are so wrong'' they came with a whole load of BS to cover other BS to come up with a solution that worked(banning almost all cars from the town centre, making an expensive overpass to reroute the highway. ) but they core issue was'nt speed but to much cars on one place on a few moments a day causing congestion. Those few cars at night could be doing 200km/h i wouldn't have mattered. The same as the weird obsession with forcefully closing shops at 8pm during the lockdowns would'nt have mattered much either, but the fact that the other measures did work made look like they did.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I don't doubt it, and, I am not saying we should all do that... but... we also need to identify and act upon the "big hitters", ie the old 80/20 rule, if we are to achieve significant advances....... no, I don't know what the "big hitters" are.
We need medium hitters - house by house is inefficient and big power companies are profit driven.
https://ldn.coop/londons-co-ops/energy-co-ops/ - is the way to go.

I had a housemate working with South East London Community Energy (SELCE) https://gcda.coop/selce/ - a 'not-for-profit social enterprise. It was formed by residents of Greenwich and Lewisham who want to play an active role in shaping the energy future of South East London.' So far they've only installed in schools and community projects but street-by-street and at housing estate scale it can be great!

BoldonLad

We need medium hitters - house by house is inefficient and big power companies are profit driven.
https://ldn.coop/londons-co-ops/energy-co-ops/ - is the way to go.

I had a housemate working with South East London Community Energy (SELCE) https://gcda.coop/selce/ - a 'not-for-profit social enterprise. It was formed by residents of Greenwich and Lewisham who want to play an active role in shaping the energy future of South East London.' So far they've only installed in schools and community projects but street-by-street and at housing estate scale it can be great!

I think, we have a miss-understanding. When I said "big hitters", I was not referring to big (Energy) Companies. I was referring to the big consumers of energy.

SELCE is interesting, perhaps, it will become one of the few such companies to actually survive?

May well be worth a punt at 4% return, thanks for that.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Top Bottom