Common law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Some of us, and I suspect I am not alone, are simultaneously drawing a pension and paying tax and NI contributions...
At 74, I haven’t paid NI for a long time, but, still an income-tax payer. One of my drinking pals is a higher rate income-tax payer on his pension, lucky him. ;)

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
What it's got to do with voting is that these common law sov cit anti vax recruits are going to vote overwhelmingly for a certain wing, aren't they? I don't expect many of them to go around calling for a totalitarian communist revolution! Even if there aren't enough to elect a total nutjob even at local government level, they'll drag the Overton Window across.
I think it skews public perception of protest in a negative direction. Anti-vaccination arguments have been ruled out of order by the media, which makes the more extreme of them more attractive to credulous people who feel disenfranchised. Then people have a grievance inflated, whatever its inherent merits or otherwise.

Oh, and by the way, despite the last century's appearances, totalitarian and communist are mutually exclusive terms.

D

Deleted member 28

At 74, I haven’t paid NI for a long time, but, still an income-tax payer. One of my drinking pals is a higher rate income-tax payer on his pension, lucky him. ;)
And I'm more than happy to pay NI to provide a pension for those who have paid their dues in previous years, unlike some on here my state pension drawing pals can also give me some grief over who's paying for it.
FFS folks, lighten up!

theclaud

Reading around the chip
You weren't in Swansea last night, were you, Shep? There was a really boring geezer in the pub who thought 'Boris' was 'taking the country forward'. He nearly got punched in the face.

D

Deleted member 28

You weren't in Swansea last night, were you, Shep? There was a really boring geezer in the pub who thought 'Boris' was 'taking the country forward'. He nearly got punched in the face.
Why would I be in Swansea?

Oh sorry, it's a joke!:laugh:

Those injunctions were very specific and related to specific roads/ ports . Even then it took several injunctions to have any effect.

Try drafting the terms of an injunction that would stop Corbyn and his ilk, without breaching their human right to be able to protest.

i would love to see Corbyn and his ilk stopped, but am struggling to see how an injunction could be worded to be lawful and stop them
Still it's silly the law doesn't have the capacity apparently. I mean insulate brittian blocked roads and such, which causes disruption but that's about it.

This is a whole other level not only have they already destroyed/vandalised a testing site they also enter hospitals and so further and so forth. It just sounds so silly that there is apparently no way to arrest/stop them by legal means.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Regular

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Still it's silly the law doesn't have the capacity apparently. I mean insulate brittian blocked roads and such, which causes disruption but that's about it.

This is a whole other level not only have they already destroyed/vandalised a testing site they also enter hospitals and so further and so forth. It just sounds so silly that there is apparently no way to arrest/stop them by legal means.

I think you may think it a little more than “disruption”, if you are seriously ill and waiting for an ambulance which is held up, in the “disruption”.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I support the aims of Extinction Rebellion, and took part in one of their actions against the Silvertown Tunnel. This was at the Blackwall roundabout - a notorious deathtrap for cyclists. I did find problems with the ER tactics - not that the sliproad was blocked periodically, but that it was blocked at the access point for the local bus route.

5 buses were held up for nearly an hour, and many passengers were not impressed. The reason given by the organisers for obstructing the buses as well as the main road was that protesters would otherwise have had to form the timed blockades by walking along a narrow verge, which was more dangerous than a wider section of pavement. I thought this was unfortunate, all things considered. If ambulances were obstructed I wouldn't have taken part.

Insulate Britain have a far weaker case. Their demands are superficial. I don't know if they take chances with their own safety, but their campaign would seem to be concerned with energy, so they should target energy interests to be effective. I therefore wonder if their organisers can be entirely sincere.

I also wonder this about the anti-vaxx protests that target hospitals.

Top Bottom