Benefits Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

I think you've missed what I'm saying. I mean there's literally no point because there's no actual financial benefit to anybody.

Why not all dodge paying income tax or VAT, I'll have some of that please.

icowden

Legendary Member
Why not all dodge paying income tax or VAT, I'll have some of that please.
Sure, just earn over a couple of million and get a good accountant.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Veteran
If I have to spend money investigating the benefits cheats or the tax evaders, which is going to be more worthwhile?

That's easy, the cheats, because you'll never nick the tax evaders.

But Benefits thieves get the modern equivalent of being put in the stocks. Called scum by newspapers, paraded in TV programmes as examples of broken Britain.

Press publicity of a court case, and the resulting shame, has long been officially accepted as part of the process.

Practically, this applies more to less serious offenders in the magistrates' courts.

The bloke who has just been given 10 years for rape has more to worry about than whether the pic in the paper has caught his good side.

icowden

Legendary Member
Press publicity of a court case, and the resulting shame, has long been officially accepted as part of the process.
Practically, this applies more to less serious offenders in the magistrates' courts.
The bloke who has just been given 10 years for rape has more to worry about than whether the pic in the paper has caught his good side.
Are you seriously conflating benefit cheats with rapists?

Pale Rider

Veteran
Are you seriously conflating benefit cheats with rapists?

Oh dear, I thought it understandable.

The shame of a public court appearance is acknowledged as being part of the process.

But, practically, anyone given years in prison is going to worry a lot less about a newspaper story than the fined shoplifter who has to face the neighbours.

I can tell you the only problems newspapers tend to get with court stories is from the lowlife trainee criminals at magistrates' court.

The professionals - class A supply, armed robbery, life threatening assaults - know the game.

All they expect is the press report is straight and spells their name correctly.

icowden

Legendary Member
Oh dear, I thought it understandable.
The shame of a public court appearance is acknowledged as being part of the process.
But, practically, anyone given years in prison is going to worry a lot less about a newspaper story than the fined shoplifter who has to face the neighbours.
Ah, Ok. It was the point you missed. It has nothing to do with the court appearance or whatever. It has to do with the hatred stirred up by papers like the Daily Fail and your beloved Sun. They are the ones that perpetrate the "all doleys are drug addicted scum that beat their partners" message and fail to realise the damage that they do.

Pale Rider

Veteran
It has to do with the hatred stirred up by papers like the Daily Fail and your beloved Sun. They are the ones that perpetrate the "all doleys are drug addicted scum that beat their partners" message and fail to realise the damage that they do.

Your problem there is the stories of drug addicts and the like supports the contention they are not terribly nice people.

And they certainly couldn't give a stuff about the damage they do.

You might think differently if your house is clumsily burgled or someone nicks your daughter's iPhone to raise money for drugs.

Mr Celine

There's little direct financial benefit to anybody in prosecuting most crime, but that doesn't mean the exercise is not worthwhile and important.

Benefits thieves are routinely ordered to repay the amount they stole, but being potless that can only be done via a deduction from, you've guessed it, benefits.

Five pounds a week is the usual sum ordered, which means most of the fraudsters will be 'repaying' what they stole for years, if not decades.

£5 a week? The non-fraud UC overpayment recovery rate is normally 25%, or £92.19 per month for a single over 25 year old.

All UC overpayments are recoverable no matter whose fault it is and it's very often the DWP's. Other deductions can be added to the £92, I often see people expected to live for a month on less than £50.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes it is possible to be averse to both, but only one is worth pursuing to any degree. The other is better dealt with through education, mental health outreach and support.

Are you by chance a bean counter? ;)
That was an anodyne non response that ignores the fact that limited resources should be used to get the best returns, and that it suits this government's agenda to concentrate on the ones that make the best Daily Mail headlines.

If you say so.

My opinion is not limited to the current Government (which I did not vote for), so, the present Governments supposed agenda does not figure hugely in me forming my opinion on this subject.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom