And They're Off! The race for London Mayor begins again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
The Conservatives have picked Susan "I know bugger" Hall as their candidate for London Mayor. Senior Conservative have endorsed her as being just enough of a frothing right wing lunatic to be able to do well in the capital city. Susan has support from the Boris Johnson death cult due to being a blond woman willing to do whatever it takes to get elected. Susan recently sacked the Chief Executive of Harrow Council as she felt that due to her extensive business experience she didn't need someone in that role.

Susan runs a hair dressing salon.

Labour of course are sticking with Sadiq 'Ulez' Khan, who is going for a record breaking 3rd term as Mayor. Previously attempted by Ken 'Newts' Livingstone and Boris 'Child Support' Johnson can he achieve a new record for consecutive terms?

Lib Dems are still at the shortlist stage

The Greens have announced Zoe Garbett as their candidate again. Zoe will be racing the LibDems to third place as usual.

matticus

Guru
I don't live in London.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Senior Conservative have endorsed her as being just enough of a frothing right wing lunatic to be able to do well in the capital city

Put your prejudice aside for one minute and you might realise that statement is most unlikely to be accurate.

Ken Livingstone did very well in London, as did Boris Johnson.

They were poles apart politically, but were both very likeable in their own way.

This suggests Londoners pay little attention to party politics when electing their mayor, but pay a lot of attention to the candidates' personality.

If you say he's the most attractive personality of the candidates his chances must be very good.

Does being the incumbent confer any advantage?

I honestly don't know.

I think incumbency cuts both ways. He's popular in parts of London but some issues, in particular ULEZ - even though parts of its expansion were driven from Westminster not County Hall - are divisive. Doubly so with ULEZ and Outer London.

I suspect the lack of Tory candidates other than the one standing suggest high profile folks, those wanting to climb the greasy pole, have written it off as a lost cause.

And that's even after the Government gerrymandered the system by going from a transferable vote to FPTP.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The Conservatives have picked Susan "I know bugger" Hall as their candidate for London Mayor. Senior Conservative have endorsed her as being just enough of a frothing right wing lunatic to be able to do well in the capital city. Susan has support from the Boris Johnson death cult due to being a blond woman willing to do whatever it takes to get elected. Susan recently sacked the Chief Executive of Harrow Council as she felt that due to her extensive business experience she didn't need someone in that role.

Susan runs a hair dressing salon.

Labour of course are sticking with Sadiq 'Ulez' Khan, who is going for a record breaking 3rd term as Mayor. Previously attempted by Ken 'Newts' Livingstone and Boris 'Child Support' Johnson can he achieve a new record for consecutive terms?

Lib Dems are still at the shortlist stage

The Greens have announced Zoe Garbett as their candidate again. Zoe will be racing the LibDems to third place as usual.

I wonder what the reaction would be if such statements were made about a left wing candidate?

multitool

Shaman
They frequently are. Look at how people talk about Angela Rayner.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
I haven't seen any comments on this forum belittling Angela Rayner's former choice of career?
And indeed I am not belittling Susan Halls other job. Just pointing out that using it as some sort of justification for knowing enough about managing a council that you don't need a Chief Executive is frankly lunacy.

Beebo

Veteran
The Evening Standard are in trouble over their front page, which has annoyed the Tory party.
I think going for a full page is a bit odd. But there is a long history of using awful photos of MPs in silly poses.
IMG_0654.png

Top Bottom