Work and parenthood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

I have to go out tonight , and mix with 'proper' people ( in the 'real world' :rolleyes:)

I'll leave it til I get home.. :okay:
Need any tips?

One we have in our local 'no religion or politics ' you can concentrate on having a laugh and enjoying yourself then. 👍

mudsticks

Squire
Need any tips?

One we have in our local 'no religion or politics ' you can concentrate on having a laugh and enjoying yourself then. 👍

Well, I've got a class to teach, so hopefully I'll not veer off topic too far.

But we do tend to find we can talk about politics, and or religion, and still have a laugh and enjoy ourselves, down our local.

Almost like real grown ups :eek:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Need any tips?

At the pub and club, and at work, we manage to have a laugh and enjoy ourselves while not excluding those topics despite having people who are from all parts of the political spectrum, because not all our chat is about them. We never concentrate on having a laugh, it just happens.
I have quite different views on politics/religion to some of my friends, but they are good friends who would, and have, gone out of their way to help each other when in trouble in the past, so we are all able accept our differences and subconsciously self-moderate our more extreme opinions when necessary. None of us are perfect, we are all grown-up, and we are not trying to change each other.

Usual wood from the trees all around the houses claptrap.

The House of Commons is not a suitable place for children.

The simplest and best approach is 'no children', unless you want to get mired in age and behaviour restrictions.

A child in a sling/caddy is fine, but the same child crawling around the benches is not, a quiet child is fine, but what if it starts bawling - is the Speaker going to shout order?

How about a Kevin the Teenager?

"The honourable member for Bexley and Old Sidcup. I hate you, I hate you, it's all so unfair."

The only realistic, workable rule is 'no children'.

Save all the worthy childcare stuff for where it's relevant.

A lot of straw men there but you do seem to accept that a child in a sling etc is OK.

An employee in Ms Creasey's position could be on Maternity Leave for up to a year 39 weeks of which would be paid at c£150/week. The employer would cover her job. That is the time when the baby is so dependant on parents that childcare is not viable.

As an MP there's no mechanism for a proxy in the house while an MP takes Maternity absence. That is why Ms Creasey (and she's not the first) is obliged to bring her 12 week old into the Chamber if she's to do her job. Once it's 6 months or so it can go to Childcare (as my two did).

As a result of this the Speaker has directed that the authorities take another look. It would, I think, be a reasonable outcome to allow babes in arms in the Chamber up to six months. For the benefit of non parents that's about the point they can (just) sit but are a long way from even crawling. If they're snuggled they tend to be quiet and content; if they're howling to the extent other Members are disturbed then Mum (or Dad) should remove them and do the feed change or whatever that's needed to calm then.

@Pale Rider can I ask a straight question - are you a parent? Having been one affects your outlook.

Pale Rider

Veteran
A lot of straw men there but you do seem to accept that a child in a sling etc is OK.

An employee in Ms Creasey's position could be on Maternity Leave for up to a year 39 weeks of which would be paid at c£150/week. The employer would cover her job. That is the time when the baby is so dependant on parents that childcare is not viable.

As an MP there's no mechanism for a proxy in the house while an MP takes Maternity absence. That is why Ms Creasey (and she's not the first) is obliged to bring her 12 week old into the Chamber if she's to do her job. Once it's 6 months or so it can go to Childcare (as my two did).

As a result of this the Speaker has directed that the authorities take another look. It would, I think, be a reasonable outcome to allow babes in arms in the Chamber up to six months. For the benefit of non parents that's about the point they can (just) sit but are a long way from even crawling. If they're snuggled they tend to be quiet and content; if they're howling to the extent other Members are disturbed then Mum (or Dad) should remove them and do the feed change or whatever that's needed to calm then.

@Pale Rider can I ask a straight question - are you a parent? Having been one affects your outlook.

Yet more virtue signalling waffle.

The House of Commons chamber is not a suitable environment for children.

It's that simple.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Can you explain why, if we're talking babes in arms under six months, that is the case.?

What if the child starts bawling?

There appears some agreement on here toddlers/teenagers should not be allowed.

If Ms Creasy gets elected again, at what point does her child become banned?

The only sensible rule is the one we have - no children in the chamber.

What if the child starts bawling?

They tend to do that much less while snuggled up to Mum (or Dad). As I already said if the child disturbs other Members it's time to beat a retreat and feed, change or whatever other calming action is needed.

I already suggested that an age limit around 26 weeks looked about right. Nobody advocates toddlers or older.

Given you seem to actually accept the point about babes in arms I'm not sure why you're still adamant about no children.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It's that simple.

I think you are confusing simple with simplistic.

That it's not that simple is obvious because of the comments from people on both sides of the political divide, including Raab and even Johnson.

That you say it's simple is no surprise, and is just an opinion.....and opinions are always open to discussion, as are the rules of the House of Commons.

mudsticks

Squire
They tend to do that much less while snuggled up to Mum (or Dad). As I already said if the child disturbs other Members it's time to beat a retreat and feed, change or whatever other calming action is needed.

I already suggested that an age limit around 26 weeks looked about right. Nobody advocates toddlers or older.

Given you seem to actually accept the point about babes in arms I'm not sure why you're still adamant about no children.

It's just a fixed obstructive principal I guess - no debate - no real reason - just simple ..

No change is allowed, nothing that would make space for greater inclusion, or accommodation of anyone's needs, it's beyond comprehension.

I mean whatever next..??

Everyone wants to bring in their Shetland pony as an emotional support companions??

That'll be it - just you wait..

Of course as you say, tiny babies are generally fairly easy to placate, especially if they can be fed, there and then.

And parents of said children, are ime very good at absenting themselves from a meeting if they feel their child is in any way making a nuisance of themselves.

Long before anyone else notices them, usually.

Far more considerate in general, than those who've I've observed doing boorish shouting, over others trying to speak in parliament

Who knows, maybe the grown ups might even behave a bit better, knowing the next generation is present to observe their behaviour??

And be mindful of their futures, in their decision making. :rolleyes:

icowden

Legendary Member
It's that simple.

Quite right. We should look to the future and allow more time for MPs to work in their constituency. There is no need to travel to "the chamber" now that we have Microsoft Teams and Zoom. She could quite easily participate and vote from her own home. Much better for her, her child and her constituents. Most modern employers offer flexible working. Why not the Government?

And this isn't just an opportunity for women. I was in a virtual meeting today where one of the team was able to take time to bottle feed his very young child, whilst still taking part in the meeting. If there is one benefit to Lockdown its that we have learned that the "office" is not sacrosanct and that much better work / life balance can be achieved through remote working.

Of course, remote working isn't new to many male politicians. That's why 6 local pubs have a division bell.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Quite right. We should look to the future and allow more time for MPs to work in their constituency. There is no need to travel to "the chamber" now that we have Microsoft Teams and Zoom. She could quite easily participate and vote from her own home. Much better for her, her child and her constituents. Most modern employers offer flexible working. Why not the Government?

And this isn't just an opportunity for women. I was in a virtual meeting today where one of the team was able to take time to bottle feed his very young child, whilst still taking part in the meeting. If there is one benefit to Lockdown its that we have learned that the "office" is not sacrosanct and that much better work / life balance can be achieved through remote working.

Of course, remote working isn't new to many male politicians. That's why 6 local pubs have a division bell.

Very good points. It might cut down on the MPs expenses too, no second homes, no "flipping" to avoid tax, no travel expenses, sounds like a win to me.

"Yet more virtue signalling waffle."
" Let all the call centre mom's take their babies in as well, they can listen, think and talk while looking after the nipper. "
" I repeat, I did not mention breast feeding. You appear to be obsessed with it "
" No response to my question regarding if she was a Tory I see? "
" How about a Kevin the Teenager? "
" Before the lynch mobs turn on me "

Going by these quotes maybe it's time we ban the man-babies from this forum? Just saying.

Top Bottom