Work and parenthood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Didn't see the pic originally

Are those cute little nuggets yours??

That would be quite a handful.

I see swaddling is making a bit of a comeback for pacifying purposes.

Papooses even , ho ho ho..
No, not ours! We just had one little girl. I sat in the garden as dawn broke after the night she was born, puffing on a packet of Rothmans and working my way through four cans of Special Brew, thinking " Good God, what on Earth have I done? ". The hospital suggested swaddling when my wife rang them to say that she was crying. It was the start of a long and delightful journey.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
No, not ours! We just had one little girl. I sat in the garden as dawn broke after the night she was born, puffing on a packet of Rothmans and working my way through four cans of Special Brew, thinking " Good God, what on Earth have I done? ". The hospital suggested swaddling when my wife rang them to say that she was crying. It was the start of a long and delightful journey.

Excellent, glad you enjoyed it.

I did it twice , so it can't have been all terrible .

It is a fairly crazy mind-blowing leap, particularly the first time, from non parent, only having to worry about yself, to parent.:eek:

Even when you've been carrying it around for 9 months, and you know the theory.

Then suddenly, the reality is you're left in charge of this fragile scrap of humanity who depends on you for everything..

And everyone thinks you must know how to do this stuff, cos you're a parent right??

Still they survived.
Thrived even :smile:

mudsticks

Squire
Even worse, you get all those guidelines and bits of advice about how babies work, all of which your newborn chooses to ignore with attitude.

It's almost as if the bloomin idlers didn't bother to read all those books.

9 months hanging about doing sod all, you'd think at least they could have done some research on

"How to be a 'proper baby' "

Tbh I was pretty lucky, with mine , once we'd got feeding established .

Then you've got a endlessly portable and available pacifier and source of nutrition* all in one go..

*..Other feeding methods also being available, and just as legitimate, of course 😇

icowden

Legendary Member
"How to be a 'proper baby' "
Tbh I was pretty lucky, with mine , once we'd got feeding established .

I just remember all the stuff about dummies being bad, and not needing one. Two weeks into a frankly voracious newborn, not content to stop suckling, she had a dummy. Daughter number 2 was not interested in dummies or bottles, or even fingers / thumbs. Then you get to "well daughter 1 liked to go to sleep while being pushed down by the river, I'll do that with daughter 2". Nope. D2 only settled by being taken for a drive.

Go figure. It's like they are all unique human beings.

mudsticks

Squire
I just remember all the stuff about dummies being bad, and not needing one. Two weeks into a frankly voracious newborn, not content to stop suckling, she had a dummy. Daughter number 2 was not interested in dummies or bottles, or even fingers / thumbs. Then you get to "well daughter 1 liked to go to sleep while being pushed down by the river, I'll do that with daughter 2". Nope. D2 only settled by being taken for a drive.

Go figure. It's like they are all unique human beings.

It is almost like that..

A bit like people even.

It also means you don't get to shoulder all the blame, as a parent, if things go a bit wrong..

But also, you don't get to have all of the glory if they turn out ok..

Top Bottom