Free speech, democracy, and all that jazz ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've told you before, you don't know me, and you are in no position to lecture me on the dangers of religion and religious extremists.
Great way to spin it to the ''how do i make this about ME'' but not quite factual now is it? You came up with some weird ''it's always the white men frame, i just pointed out the source of most of the terrorism in the past 20 years. @AndyRM pointed out one of them was Russian so you white folks frame simply does not add up.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Great way to spin it to the ''how do i make this about ME'' but not quite factual now is it? You came up with some weird ''it's always the white men frame, i just pointed out the source of most of the terrorism in the past 20 years. @AndyRM pointed out one of them was Russian so you white folks frame simply does not add up.

I didn't mention the colour of his skin, just that the killer was Russian, not French.

Beebo

Veteran
The elections in Iran don't seem to have received much coverage?, or, it would appear, much participation on the part of the electorate, almost as bad as the UK.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024...ow-as-conservatives-dominate-irans-parliament

What’s the point when candidates can only stand if approved by the highly conservative religious leaders. Very sad for the people of Iran.

but then the US only get a choice of Biden or Trump, so who’s democracy is better?

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
What’s the point when candidates can only stand if approved by the highly conservative religious leaders. Very sad for the people of Iran.

but then the US only get a choice of Biden or Trump, so who’s democracy is better?

Quite obviously the latter. Democracy is having the choice (when you come down to basics). And if the vast majority reeeeeally wanted neither of them, then neither would have gotten to be President.

Ian H

Guru
Quite obviously the latter. Democracy is having the choice (when you come down to basics). And if the vast majority reeeeeally wanted neither of them, then neither would have gotten to be President.

That's not actually true. They're chosen by party machines, and there isn't a box on the ballot paper to vote neither.

Very sad? I guess the 1953 coup, installation of the Shah's brutal puppet regime, our stealing their oil, and the consequences since haven't worked out as well for them as we had hoped?

Now that both of us are talking about puppetry, I wonder what the Iranians think of the ethnic cleansing on their doorstep? Do you think they might notice certain foreign country has near complete stranglehold over US foreign policy? Or, closer to home, how both countries have stranglehold over both our major parties at the expense of our national interest?

Unless anybody thinks aiding, abetting, or providing cover for genocide for the whole world to see is in any country's national interest, never mind meeting the yardstick of basic decency.

Wot? Did we think the most pervasive, corrosive foreign interference has been by the Russian?

Talking about closer to home...

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...-really-represent-brits-priorities-and-values

OP
OP
matticus

matticus

Guru
That's not actually true. They're chosen by party machines, and there isn't a box on the ballot paper to vote neither.

The party machines - which in the USA is actually a messy democracy itself, it's not totally behind closed doors - have to choose candidates that stand a chance of being elected.
No practicable system allows everyone to vote for their perfect President!

But anyway: do you think their system is better than Iran's?

Ian H

Guru
The party machines - which in the USA is actually a messy democracy itself, it's not totally behind closed doors - have to choose candidates that stand a chance of being elected.

Marginally, depending where you live, and the gap appears to be diminishing. https://abcnews.go.com/US/missouri-...g-felony-sex-offender-list/story?id=107803364

the snail

In many US states you can vote for anybody you like for president, you just write their name on the ballot paper.

Top Bottom