These Covid Polices Are Going Well .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
FishFright

FishFright

What the fark are covid-sceptic MPs going on about, "find a way to live with the virus"? How does one "live with" a non-sentient virus which kills a small but significant proportion of the population and does fark knows what else to sufferers who are slow to recover? Seems like there are too many snowflake MPs who would surrender in a war.

Though it pains me to my very soul to even partially agree with that shower Covid isn't going away, it's too late. There seemingly isn't a nation free of the virus so all those millions of transfers per month are opportunities for a new mutation that breaks excising protocols.

It appears to me that the infection is moving from pandemic to endemic and at some point the survivors will have to find a way to live with it.

I'm not an epidemiologist so this only what I reckon but I've yet to seem anything that gives me hope of a covid free world.

icowden

Legendary Member
What the fark are covid-sceptic MPs going on about, "find a way to live with the virus"?

In a sense they are correct. MD reported in Private Eye that the usual course of a Virus is that it becomes less deadly over time. This is due to immune systems learning to fight it better, the most vulnerable dying, better treatments becoming available and the uptake of vaccinations. He suggested that Covid might reach this stage as early as Spring 2022. There is still the issue of mutation to deal with. But - the immediate problem is the potential overwhelming of treatment facilities. The new variant is much better at spreading and hospital admissions are increasing.

So we do have to live with it eventually but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't take sensible precautions for now. Personally I don't think a new lockdown would be constructive but proper quarantine for new arrivals, legal mandation of face masks, the requirement of showing a Covid Immunisation history and negative testing to enter mass audience venues such as theatres, clubs, concerts, all seem reasonable and don't curtail any liberties (no matter what the more gammony tories might suggest). Minor sacrifices such as forgoing an office party in order to keep families safe at Christmas probably aren't the end of the world either

mjr

I agree with the above two posts.

There is no conflict between saying "we have to live with the virus" and "we have to take steps to fight/minimise it"
That isn't what they're saying. They talk of finding a way to live with the virus that isn't fighting it with masks, distance and so on, that isn't waiting it out until it becomes less lethal. It's not a managed move to endemicity. It seems to be basically the "bored now! Let it rip and the bodies pile up" again.

D

Deleted member 28

That isn't what they're saying. They talk of finding a way to live with the virus that isn't fighting it with masks, distance and so on, that isn't waiting it out until it becomes less lethal. It's not a managed move to endemicity. It seems to be basically the "bored now! Let it rip and the bodies pile up" again.
Funny, I'm sure I've read somewhere masks are now to be worn in shops, Covid passports are to be shown in lots of venues and working from home has been reintroduced?

Sounds a bit like trying to fight it to me.

D

Deleted member 49

Funny, I'm sure I've read somewhere masks are now to be worn in shops, Covid passports are to be shown in lots of venues and working from home has been reintroduced?
Except those days are gone.Nobody round this way at least seems to take notice any more.

OP
OP
FishFright

FishFright

News from the mainland
I see that over on the CC one or idiots are getting threads closed again by their pet mods rather than allow adult discussion to develop.

Did you REALLY not follow the procedings on Tuesday when the government only got stuff you list above through with Labour votes?

D

Deleted member 28

Did you REALLY not follow the procedings on Tuesday when the government only got stuff you list above through with Labour votes?
Point is Boris wanted this to happen which is the important bit in my book, and it's through which is all that matters isn't it?

D

Deleted member 28

Except those days are gone.Nobody round this way at least seems to take notice any more.
That's hardly the fault of the Government though is it?
They won't be getting into venues without proof of vaccination or a positive test.

Point is Boris wanted this to happen which is the important bit in my book, and it's through which is all that matters isn't it?

What Boris wanted is, at best, only part of the story. The point is that on the divisions up to 100 Conservative MPs voted against Covid Passports and masks. Their speeches and rationales expressed in media interviews and on Twitter etc are truly alrming.

The Tory party is taking its lead from Trump's Republicans.

Top Bottom