The NACA Music, Art & General Creativity Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Many people have recommended the GOT books to me and while I was tempted at 99p I think they would lay unread due to the size alone. I like fantasy/sci fi but I'm not a fan of the world building thing, whether it's in books, films, or games, though I appreciate that's the big appeal for many fans. Quite enjoyed the tv show and I do have slight FOMO about the books as others like them so much.

icowden

Legendary Member
Many people have recommended the GOT books to me and while I was tempted at 99p I think they would lay unread due to the size alone. I like fantasy/sci fi but I'm not a fan of the world building thing, whether it's in books, films, or games, though I appreciate that's the big appeal for many fans. Quite enjoyed the tv show and I do have slight FOMO about the books as others like them so much.

IMHO - they are far better than the TV show. Much more in depth, far fewer sex scenes and there are lots of changes for TV to reduce cast size, locations etc. Ignore the tome like size and just enjoy the read. They aren't a difficult read at all, just a good one. It's just frustrating when you get to the end of book 5 :-)

A good example is that in the TV show Arya ends up serving Tywin Lanister (who would recognise her immediately). In the books this doesn't happen - she serves Roose Bolton instead.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
ASOIAF could have been a snappy little trilogy instead of the drawn out dreary mess that it became. The problem as I see it is that GRRM idolises JRRT so much that he's copied his style but taken the soul sapping overlong faux medieval rubbish to even greater lengths. Really painted himself into a corner with the POV characters as well.

Awful books and quite frankly despite Neil Gaiman's protestations I think GRRM does owe me my money back. And by the last season of the TV show I didn't care what happened, I just wanted it to end and I'd spent far too long of my life watching it to back out, so I had to see it through.

Tedious rubbish albeit with some nice ideas in it which could be turned into something decent with the hard work of a good editor.

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
despite Neil Gaiman's protestations

I thought I'd look it up and it turns out that it's been fourteen years since Gaiman wrote 'George R R Martin is not your bitch'

https://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html?m=1

Fourteen years.

I honestly think it's time for GRRM to say 'I had a crack at it but it seems this writing lark isn't for me, you all know roughly how it ends, bring your books back to point of sale and I'll refund your money' and then go back to his mountain and sit on his big pile of gold for however long he has left.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Vaguely flexed my creative muscles this morning and I'm rather pleased with the results.

In an ideal world there would have been no copy, but that wouldn't have been helpful.

Brew_Monday_Poster_A3_Houghall_0.1.jpg

AndyRM

Elder Goth
For any northern (England, I'm assuming) types, this looks interesting:

https://unionarts.org.uk/

Vaguely flexed my creative muscles this morning and I'm rather pleased with the results.

In an ideal world there would have been no copy, but that wouldn't have been helpful.

View attachment 5329

Two people "got" my reference at the college where this was displayed. That's twice as many as I was hoping for so I'm quite pleased with that.

Top Bottom