General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Was reading some polling data earlier.

If current polling is reflected in the GE, Reform will help with the decimation of the Tory party, which is a good thing.

I can't remember the exact figure, but Reform voters are coming almost exclusively from disaffected Tories, and not Labour. It's Northern Gammon that are their base.

The Tories have almost nobody under 50 saying they will vote for them. A statistic I find incredible.

Sadly, Reform is gaining a lot of traction around the North East. Which in a way I can understand because, like Scotland, the main parties (Labour in particular) have always taken "our" votes for granted.

That said, it's pretty depressing that folk buy into the British version of MAGA.

Members from Labour, Conservative and the Lib Dem parties were on Politics North recently and all said they didn't see Reform as a particular threat which is a dangerously arrogant game to be playing.

multitool

Shaman
Sadly, Reform is gaining a lot of traction around the North East.

Indeed, hence me saying "Northern Gammon".

I probably shouldn't assumed that everyone would decode the 'gammon' part, because the demographics are really interesting. The Reform votership is predominantly over 50, and male.

I wonder whether this might be something to do with men holding harsher, more cruel views. There is an incipient violence to Reform, I feel.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Indeed, hence me saying "Northern Gammon".

I probably shouldn't assumed that everyone would decode the 'gammon' part, because the demographics are really interesting. The Reform votership is predominantly over 50, and male.

I wonder whether this might be something to do with men holding harsher, more cruel views. There is an incipient violence to Reform, I feel.

Yeah, I know. I've not seen the demographics, but that makes sense.

What's a bit more mystifying is they seem to be popular with younger voters too (just going off the folk I know who are involved in education and politics around here).

It doesn't help that there's been a total lack of perceived change around here in general, and the positives that there have been are overshadowed by negatives.

multitool

Shaman
There's a whole bunch of stuff here:

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/artic...ain-voting-as-we-enter-the-2024-election-year

Look at the gender breakdown for Reform, particularly amongst the young!

As you might expect, the less educated a person is, the more likely they are to vote Reform

Screenshot_20240322_150007_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ian H

Guru
I think that image might be have been tampered with.

The Gregg's has obviously been photoshopped in.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

C R

Über Member
Laura Kuensberg reminds me of Alfredo Urdaci. He was the presenter of the main news program as well as the head of news in the Spanish state broadcaster in the early 2000s, during the tenure of Aznar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom