Swearing and/or offensive language

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Everything you need to know about swearing north of the border. Not for daffodils as it contains the daffodil word.

I enjoyed that, hadn't seen it before. Thank you!

D

Deleted member 49

Oh dear, perhaps, we agree?

The thread title is "Swearing and/or offensive language", and, gives no indication if this is in a public or private context

By definition, can "offensive language" ever be acceptable, (certainly) in a public setting?

In a public setting (say for example on a train journey), is it acceptable for a passenger, who finds swearing objectionable, to be subjected to swearing, by a fellow passenger, possibly for several hours, even if that swearing is not directed at them personally?

I use "train journey" as an example, there are numerous other examples available, including the workplace.
If it's not aggressive is it any more annoying than someone watching a film or listening to music videos without headphones ?
Doesn't really bother me.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
https://www.google.com/search?q=EVIDENTLY+CHICKENTOWN

-->

Lyrics
The bloody cops are bloody keen
To bloody keep it bloody clean
The bloody chief's a bloody swine
Who bloody draws a bloody line… Full lyrics

Just FYI.

Well there we go. If he's had to change the lyrics from the now relatively innocuous 'bloody', which is not even caught by the swear filter, to the more offensive 'farking' in order for the poem to still have the same impact, doesn't that say something about our change in attitude towards profanity and offensive language over the past forty years?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
If it's not aggressive is it any more annoying than someone watching a film or listening to music videos without headphones ?

So, is that the measure “it doesn’t bother me”? A bit tough on the person it does bother.

D

Deleted member 49

So, is that the measure “it doesn’t bother me”? A bit tough on the person it does bother.
I said it doesn't bother me....if it does you either do something or get over it.You never know the said teenager listening to music might say "ok sorry mate" or "feck off".

BoldonLad

I said it doesn't bother me....if it does you either do something or get over it.You never know the said teenager listening to music might say "ok sorry mate" or "feck off".

I never mentioned a teenager listening to music?

I do like your tolerant and respectful attitude.

It doesn’t actually bother me, that much, although, there are limits, but, that doesn’t mean it may not offend others.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

If I hear it in the street or pub it doesn't bother me.

If I heard it spoken in the same way in front of of my grandaughter, or my 90 year old aunt, or a teacher used it in a primary school class it would.

In the same way that the 'N' word when used by people of colour is not considered offensive but when used by a white person is.

Context is important.

A word is just a sound made by consonants and vowels, and is made beautiful or ugly in the way it is spoken.

D

Deleted member 49

If I heard it spoken in the same way in front of of my grandaughter, or my 90 year old aunt, or a teacher used it in a primary school class it would.
Swearing is part of everyday language for many,not a lot you can do about it.
Why would a teacher be swearing in a primary school ? Unless by accident.
In the same way that the 'N' word when used by people of colour is not considered offensive but when used by a white person is.
It's a racist term.Not a swear word.Theres a difference.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member

You could say the same for lots of stuff. Cat calling women, smacking children. By 'part of everyday language' what you really mean is 'has become normalised'. There are lots of things which are/were normalised which are offensive and unacceptable to many. The first thing you can do about it is to stop normalising it further by making out you can't do anything about it.

The mental gymnastics people on this thread will do in order to justify them being able to call someone a c*unt on the Internet is quite remarkable.

D

Deleted member 49

You could say the same for lots of stuff. Cat calling women, smacking children. By 'part of everyday language' what you really mean is 'has become normalised'. There are lots of things which are/were normalised which are offensive and unacceptable to many. The first thing you can do about it is to stop normalising it further by making out you can't do anything about it.

The mental gymnastics people on this thread will do in order to justify them being able to call someone a c*unt on the Internet is quite remarkable.
Yes and for me and my household swearing is a everyday thing.Its a hell of a jump to cat calling woman and smacking children ! Same sex relationships are taboo for a lot of people...feck my own mum complains about men kissing on Coronation Street ! Times move on thankfully.Theres bad language,profanities on tv/internet/music videos nom stop.Id say the sexualization of who kids look up to is a lot worse than a few profanities but that's me.
For the record I didn't get involved in anyone calling anyone else a c#nt ! As far as I'm aware.But correct me if I'm wrong.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Yes and for me and my household swearing is a everyday thing.Its a hell of a jump to cat calling woman and smacking children ! Same sex relationships are taboo for a lot of people...feck my own mum complains about men kissing on Coronation Street ! Times move on thankfully.Theres bad language,profanities on tv/internet/music videos nom stop.Id say the sexualization of who kids look up to is a lot worse than a few profanities but that's me.
For the record I didn't get involved in anyone calling anyone else a c#nt ! As far as I'm aware.But correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct you didnt get involved in calling anyone the C bomb......but by not calling it out on the forum when people do it, is what then normalises it and people think its ok.

I do think even though this forum isnt moderated and essentially a free for all. I do think that people on here should call and be allowed to call out deragotry language when it happens, without then being the victim of further language, from other members of the forum.

D

Deleted member 49

Correct you didnt get involved in calling anyone the C bomb......but by not calling it out on the forum when people do it, is what then normalises it and people think its ok.

I do think even though this forum isnt moderated and essentially a free for all. I do think that people on here should call and be allowed to call out deragotry language when it happens, without then being the victim of further language, from other members of the forum.
Jowwy did I not at various times say give it up to both of you ? It's not for me to mod the site.Id have just ignored it if it bothered me.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Why would a teacher be swearing in a primary school ? Unless by accident.

That is why I said context is important.

It's a racist term.Not a swear word.Theres a difference.

Of course there's a difference but they are both words that offend some people but not others depending on the context. The offence is the key point. Some people may be offended by being called the 'C" word, others not. I believe that if a word is offensive to the target then, in that context, it is offensive, and vice versa.

BoldonLad

That is why I said context is important.

Of course there's a difference but they are both words that offend some people but not others depending on the context. The offence is the key point. Some people may be offended by being called the 'C" word, others not. I believe that if a word is offensive to the target then, in that context, it is offensive, and vice versa.

Perhaps the solution is we* should all "self identify" with a list of words, and contexts which we find offensive?

Then, before speaking, within earshot of another person, we check their lists, to be sure we don't offend?

* ie, everyone in the world.

Top Bottom