We get it ( or I get it)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ebikeerwidnes

Honestly???

Can we just introduce life without parole for any Politician that says this trite meaningless phrase??

It used to be a sort of trendy phrase to look "down with the kids" when you are an Etonian millionaire who has risen to No 10 and want "young people" to vote for you

now it is just annoying and there are better phrases (clauses??) available.
We Understand - might be possible

I have seen Tory and Labour people say it thing morning

being honest is probably too much to ask but at least choose something that might just sound it

or is that just me

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Usually prefaced with "Look..." I'd jail them for other reasons, but it is vaguely annoying.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
E

ebikeerwidnes

Can we also add "reach out to " as part of the charge sheet??

I mean - contact, ring, email, ask - but "reach out" seems to be the new trendy Americanism that sounds bleedin' stupid coming from someone that is trying to look cool by having his suit shirt worn without a tie and with the sleeves rolled up.

probably
maybe I should just go back to "the other place" and talk to people on "The Retirement Thread" like normal??

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I'm not keen on the phrase either. I think Americans use it because it has a more emotional connotation, as in a celebrity 'reaches out' to another celebrity when something bad happens whereas we'd just say they'd been in touch to offer support. As always, when used by politicians it will invariably be a soundbite that suggests caring without actually having to do anything.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Can we also add "reach out to " as part of the charge sheet??

I mean - contact, ring, email, ask - but "reach out" seems to be the new trendy Americanism…

I agree, but it’s hardly new. I’ve been hearing it or at least a decade!

I remember phoning an HR support team member for an update and being asked when did I last ‘interact’ with the manager involved.

What?!

Last edited:

bobzmyunkle

'Can I get a ...' instead of 'Could I have/can I have..
Exactly. No you can't - you're* on the wrong side of the bar, don't have access to the kitchen, might scald yourself on the coffee machine etc. Just sit down and revise your English - an ever evolving language...

*Edited after revising my English.

Last edited:
Top Bottom