Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
of course its perfectly possible...but you still need to work hard at it, you cont just bum around thinking everything is easy.

I worked hard at university to get my degree, so the work I do is easy.

Sure, there are challenges, in both life and work, but it doesn't have to be a grind, unless you make things that way.

Sure, there are challenges, in both life and work, but it doesn't have to be a grind, unless you make things that way.

My thoughts exactly.

I used to hear the 'Life's supposed to be hard' line way too often growing up. Until I realised that you can, as I mentioned, work smarter not harder, and still get tons of work done.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
You'll feel the benefit. Physically and mentally. It did my ADHD no end of good.

i work form home - 7-30am to 3pm.......so i already get the benefits physically and mentally. Once 3pm comes, my Laptop is off and my home office door closed until the next day. Then im down in the garden working on that or the greenhouse, etc etc etc

Lifes better wfh

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
we shouldn't have to work so hard.

Seriously??

we are trialling 28hrs over 4 days for the same salary,

i work form home - 7-30am to 3pm.......so i already get the benefits physically and mentally

Lifes better wfh

Why the initial incredulous response when you and your workplace seem to be taking steps towards doing exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about?

jowwy

Why the initial incredulous response when you and your workplace seem to be taking steps towards doing exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about?

Just because my employer offers these things, it doent mean we arent working hard, because i still think you need to work hard.......

Also i chose to continue to work from home after the pandemic and i chose my working hours.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

Sadly, for most wage slaves without the luxury of a ’career’, work is a grind. I’m all for ’life is what you make it’, but for too many people low paid, precarious and monotonous jobs affect the rest of their life outside work.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Sadly, for most wage slaves without the luxury of a ’career’, work is a grind. I’m all for ’life is what you make it’, but for too many people low paid, precarious and monotonous jobs affect the rest of their life outside work.

I agree. It's awful for a lot of people and I know I'm privileged to have done something I wanted to do, albeit in an industry I didn't entirely expect.

winjim

Just because my employer offers these things, it doent mean we arent working hard, because i still think you need to work hard.......

Also i chose to continue to work from home after the pandemic and i chose my working hours.

You're choosing to wfh, you're choosing your hours, you're trialling a four day week, you're clearly able to post on social media while working. This is all good stuff, I wish there was more of that sort of attitude and I've no reason to doubt that you're carrying out your job to your employer's satisfaction. Good for you and good for them, I absolutely think that more people should have the choice to be able to work as you do. Like you say it's good for both mental and physical health. But not everybody has that choice, it's a different type of working hard from someone who can't choose their hours has to work long days, who is forced to commute, who can't use their phone at work etc etc.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
You're choosing to wfh, you're choosing your hours, you're trialling a four day week, you're clearly able to post on social media while working. This is all good stuff, I wish there was more of that sort of attitude and I've no reason to doubt that you're carrying out your job to your employer's satisfaction. Good for you and good for them, I absolutely think that more people should have the choice to be able to work as you do. Like you say it's good for both mental and physical health. But not everybody has that choice, it's a different type of working hard from someone who can't choose their hours has to work long days, who is forced to commute, who can't use their phone at work etc etc.

I fear that pretty soon the growth of WFH will lead to divisions in the workplace, and society, between those who have that luxury and those in manual labour/ customer facing/ clocking-on jobs, and between public/private employers.

You will find it extremely difficult to get a labourer/factory worker to accept that WFH is working just as hard as they do. There aren’t many drivers or factory workers or Amazon slaves who post on this sort of forum in their work hours. We are a privileged group.

jowwy

i agree......but they only supplied me with a laptop, the rest i have done myself. Private office, multiple screens, desk, keyboard, chair etc etc etc all bought myself.

Also have TV, Sky Q, and i run the office off solar power . so it doesnt cost me extra in running costs.

jowwy

I fear that pretty soon the growth of WFH will lead to divisions in the workplace, and society, between those who have that luxury and those in manual labour/ customer facing/ clocking-on jobs, and between public/private employers.

You will find it extremely difficult to get a labourer/factory worker to accept that WFH is working just as hard as they do. There aren’t many drivers or factory workers or Amazon slaves who post on this sort of forum in their work hours. We are a privileged group.

thats life im afraid......no one said anyone was working as hard or harder than anyone else. again, dont change peoples words to suit your own rhetoric.

I mean how can a driver/factory work from home, thats just a pathetic response and not comparing apples with apples.......

You also have to remember that government advice in wales is to continue to work from home were you can. So i chose to carry on that and my employers were happy for me to do so, no questions asked. But then ive worked for them for 19yrs.....

winjim

I've always disliked making divisions in what I call 'working class' which I consider to refer to a broad spectrum covering most of the population, but maybe we're doing just that.

lazybloke

Regular
Had my first ferry trip across the channel since Jan 2020.
Seems like Dover had done the bare minimum to prepare for additional passport checks. They've put in some some lane barriers and traffic lights to better manage the queues for the passport desks. Those lanes operate well, but the overall queuing capacity is too small, and the throughput at the desks is slow. We saw the other weekend that even when all desks opened, it took an entire weekend for the backlog to clear, so clearly they don't have sufficient throughput to cope with spikes in demand.

Meanwhile over in Calais, they've reclaimed a massive section of sea-bed by building out into the channel to make space for new flyovers from the motorway, local road access, queuing areas, check-in desks, EU exit desks, UK passport checks, security checks, embarkation lanes and a massive shop & facilities - all brand new, spacious, working efficiently and quickly. OMG, if only the UK had the foresight to plan & invest like the French...

But then anyone who has driven any distance in France will know they are excellent at infrastructure, far higher standards in road-building and maintenance on their trunk network. I don't know why Citroen are famed for good suspension, you barely need it on French roads!

But back to borders... the biometric controls next year will replace passport stamps, but I imagine all passports will still have to be individually checked and logged, and matched to retinal/fingerprint scan for each traveller. How long is that going to take?

D

Deleted member 28

Working from home would be the worst thing in the World for me, plus impossible given my job, couldn't think of anything worse.

I like working outdoors, the craic with the lads and visiting different sites so no thanks.

We work a 4 day week, 9hrs per day which gives me a 4 day weekend every other one so pretty good really.

The only pisser is I'm on call one week in five which does interfere with social events but we often cover each other when needed.

Top Bottom