Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
But the guns would be kept at the club, securely, and they would never be allowed out in public areas. Just as the UK.
Have a quick Google of Michael Ryan, he was in a club.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
A lot of words that say nothing.

How will you change the relationship between the USA and their guns?

I would just ban them outright unless you’re a gun club member, a police officer or in the armed services. The guy who did the shooting, where 21 children died, was able to get 2 assault rifles with no background checks. The kind of rifles that you state are for ‘leisure.’

I would add that gun club members should only be allowed to keep their guns on secure club premises, although even that provides a potential source for gun theft.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
For all of us. It was out of order.

Just to be clear though, it is perfectly ok for you, Fab Foobie, Adam4868, Beebo and iCowden to all call me names, but I can't call any of you names in return? Is that the deal?

When I was called a wanker no-one had a problem or thought it was out of order with the language.

Just to be clear though, it is perfectly ok for you, Fab Foobie, Adam4868, Beebo and iCowden to all call me names, but I can't call any of you names in return? Is that the deal?

When I was called a wanker no-one had a problem or thought it was out of order with the language.

No-one called you a F C! Let’s be clear on that and don’t play the victim.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
No-one called you a F C! Let’s be clear on that and don’t play the victim.
Oh, it's all just language.

Now back on track.

To change the relationship with guns the US has to want to change, and sadly for many victims, a huge amount of people don't want to. It is a problem I don't know how to solve, but the beginning of the solution is to shift the mentality of millions of people.

Sadly these events will happen whatever the gun ownership laws. It also probably less about the guns than the society in which the killer, himself very young, grew up in. Maybe looking at Hollywood output would be easier than banning guns?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
But several people are advocating a ban in the US and that will solve the problem. It clearly won't, if it did we would have no handgun deaths in the UK, however over 40 % of firearm deaths in the UK are from handguns! So, pretty clearly banning things just does not work.
Nothing will completely, 100% solve the problem...if the aim is zero deaths by firearm.

But to show how fallacious your argument is the US has approx 53 times the rate per 100k of population of deaths by firearm that the UK has, and 74 times the number of murders by firearm. (2019 figs).

So quite clearly banning things does work......to a very large extent.

icowden

Legendary Member
To change the relationship with guns the US has to want to change, and sadly for many victims, a huge amount of people don't want to. It is a problem I don't know how to solve, but the beginning of the solution is to shift the mentality of millions of people.
Sadly these events will happen whatever the gun ownership laws. It also probably less about the guns than the society in which the killer, himself very young, grew up in. Maybe looking at Hollywood output would be easier than banning guns?
Why? In the UK we see all the Hollywood films and US TV series. We haven't had 199 mass killings this year though.

Yes, the US has to want to change. Part of that is giving power to the parties that want change. If you change the laws as per my previous post, you start to change the relationship with guns.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Why? In the UK we see all the Hollywood films and US TV series. We haven't had 199 mass killings this year though.
Nor have the majority of US states, but the ban seems to be being called for countrywide.

Maybe I am even changing my mind and thinking that the focus should be on the people and not the weapons. The state of mind of the perpetrator is probably most key. If you took away the gun from this shooter, he would have most likely found another way to do his damage and make his mark on the world.

Top Bottom