Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
The only way is a ban. As I mentioned, 199 shootings this year and we haven't hit June yet. Deaths from gun violence has exceeded deaths from RTAs since 2020.

Yet, you come here and start posting about cheese and say there's no need to ban guns. :wacko:

It's not abuse, it's how I see you. Strange how you're doing this on the day that your hero's getting his ass handed back to him by way of the Sue Gray report.

Troll.
How do you implement a ban then? Come on genius, tell us how you would do it.

It is abuse, but that is fine. You call me nasty little bitchy names, it means you don't actually have to engage and work out how your ban idea will work.

As to the bit about mentioning the Sue Gray report, you started this thread today, did you not want anyone to respond to it because of the Sue Gray report? Why did you start it then?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Hard to tell with you.

Ooooooh, I love it when you have nothing to say, but say it anyway.

It is abuse, but that is fine. You call me nasty little bitchy names, it means you don't actually have to engage and work out how your ban idea will work.

As to the bit about mentioning the Sue Gray report, you started this thread today, did you not want anyone to respond to it because of the Sue Gray report? Why did you start it then?

I started it because of the 199 shootings and the recent one yesterday. I had no idea that the Sue Gray report would be out today until just a few hours ago.

Do you think that the USA should just carry on as before? How many school shootings are you willing to see? You seem to think that this is all perfectly fine and dandy that 21 kids are dead.

You must be a wow at parties.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Wow, almost like the relationship between people, guns and their use needs to change you mean?

I mean stricter gun control: restrictions on types of firearms permitted, justification for need, background checks, training, security.

What would you suggest to stop the relentless murder of children and others in America by people with guns?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I mean stricter gun control: restrictions on types of firearms permitted, justification for need, background checks, training, security.

What would you suggest to stop the relentless murder of children and others in America by people with guns?

Yes, change the relationship people have with guns in the US.

You are finding it really hard to admit that we are on the same page with this particular debate aren't you?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I started it because of the 199 shootings and the recent one yesterday. I had no idea that the Sue Gray report would be out today until just a few hours ago.

Do you think that the USA should just carry on as before? How many school shootings are you willing to see? You seem to think that this is all perfectly fine and dandy that 21 kids are dead.

You must be a wow at parties.

No, I think the US should try and change its relationship with guns and gun owning culture.

You are stuck in a student politics mentality of banning things you see as bad though. It is a student union type position you have taken before, when P&O did their thing you said you would boycott anything transported by the parent company. When I challenged you about what exactly those items were and how would you know, I seem to remember you called me a troll.

Maybe now you can tell us how the one man boycott is going, and which products you have boycotted?

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Yes, change the relationship people have with guns in the US.

You are finding it really hard to admit that we are on the same page with this particular debate aren't you?

I don’t know if were on the same page or not as I don’t know what your idea for remedying the situation is. It might well be that we end up agreeing and I’m puzzled by your confrontational tone towards me.

No, I think the US should try and change its relationship with guns and gun owning culture.

You are stuck in a student politics mentality of banning things you see as bad though. It is a student union type position you have taken before, when P&O did their thing you said you would boycott anything transported by the parent company. When I challenged you about what exactly those items were and how would you know, I seem to remember you called me a troll.

Maybe now you can tell us how the one man boycott is going, and which products you have boycotted?

I don't. But guns cannot be allowed to be used by the public, the end result is what we see now. In which universe can assault rifles be used for recreational purposes?

Yes I would still boycott anything by the P+O parent company. That's my choice and this is not the subject of this thread and I know you just love derailing threads, which is what trolls do hence I call you one.

So, to get back on track, how would you change the USA's relationship with guns? Please show your working.

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member

There are two elements to banning or reducing the number of guns in circulation: banning/controlling their sale and confiscating those already owned.

The first is relatively simple, given the strength and will of the government in charge, the second is much more difficult, probably impossible in the short term, but the fact that something is difficult is not a reason not to try it.

There is a whole load of difference between owning a gun, which, despite diversionary arguments about target-shooting, sport, leisure etc., is primarily built for killing and injuring, but can be used for leisure, and owning a car, which is designed for transport, but which can be misused to kill or injure. I am sure you are not that obtuse that you cannot see this, but less sure that you do not prefer using your reductio ad absurdum fallacy to continue your adopted role as forum contrarian.

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
25,430 people killed or seriously injured by cars in the UK last year, 42,915 in the US. We need to ban motor vehicles first surely?

Or do you just want to ban things you don't particularly like first?

Craig, when this is your first post you can’t be surprised that everyone jumps on you. It’s not a very insightful observation.

Handguns have been banned in the UK since 1996. Anyone want to have a guess at the most common firearm type used in killings in the UK is since that point in time?
Again this is a pointless argument. Handguns are extremely rare in UK. And any ownership is now criminal.
A better observation would be knife crime. Everyone has access to a knife and stabbings are the highest cause of murder. But it’s almost impossible to go on a mad killing spree with a knife as you will quickly get over powered and it is a far more personal act of violence. You have to get down and dirty to kill somebody with a knife and that’s far harder than pulling a trigger.
No one is suggesting that knives should be banned, but sales of all knives are banned to under 18s. It’s illegal to carry a knife in public and big knives with no functional use other than stabbing are banned from sale such as flick knives and zombie knives.

If you want to control US gun crime there needs to be a ban on certain guns. Ammunition should be far better controlled. Maybe kept off site at a third party storage facility away from the gun. There are lots of ways to make gun ownership safer.

icowden

Legendary Member
You look at the Australian model and modify it. You ensure that all guns are registered in a national database.
You ban fully and semi automatic weapons. You introduce gun buy backs. You get police forces to confiscate illegal weapons.
You remove every weapon that you can, and regulate and control those that you can't. You make it harder to buy weapons. You prevent supermarkets from stocking weapons and ammunition and limit sales to licensed, registered and controlled gun stores. You stop banks running "open a new bank account and get a gun" offers.

etc
etc

Top Bottom