Women's football success

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Except that he didn't.

Most of the outrage - sorry, "furore" - on this thread would disappear if Gary was only criticised for things he had actually tweeted.

ok he made a Bra joke sorry. That doesn't excuse him of belittling the women's success by referring to the type of undergarment worn by women and often sexualised by men. I don't think he should be fired either, I never watch him on TV so I don't care. What I do care about is how someone paid so much, who has been on telly for so long, thinks it's ok to make that sort of joke on Twitter which is pretty much accesible to the entire world. It does nothing for damping down the male kn*b swinging oafery that still goes on amongst (some) men. When all the other historically opressed sections of society are fighting so hard to be equally treated and respected.

I'd be interested to hear why you're defending him so much; have you not got daughters or nieces, or sisters? Would you be fine with any of your female family achieving success, only for Alan Sugar to tweet "Congrats to the first female CEO of DynoCorp - and what a cracking pair she's got"?
He reduced a pivotal moment in women's sport to an underwear joke.
That's much more concise than what I'm trying to say, and has hit the nail on the head.

matticus

Guru
and what a cracking pair she's got"?

I refer you to my previous response to you.

mudsticks

Squire
Nope. Not saying that at all.

This topic arose around a celebrity twitter account, and comments made therein. Isn't that what you were calling out? Not posts by NACA members.

If offensive/sexist celeb tweets are made in future - and I've little doubt they will be - then will me adding Likes to your condemnation help change the world? Are you judging me as supportive of all sexist gammons just because I didn't support the Gary lynch-mob already in full flow on NACA?
Yes I was objecting to what Gary said

It was thoughtlessly sexist and unhelpful, particularly in this context of celebrating womens hard won achievements in football.

Particulwrly given he has a large following , and the 'ear' (that's not a quote btw) of many a bloke out there..

With that comes a chance to do better

He missed that chance on this occasion

But instead of immediately afterwards saying smthng like

"Oh yeah that was a bit dumb wasn't it"

(That is a quote btw- albeit an imaginary one)

He cites these real or imaginary 'feminist proof readers' in his doubling down..

I for one will of course be eschewing all overpriced solanum based fried snacks, from now on..
Entirely based on this solitary incident..
Because that's just the sort of baying feminazi mobster I am.. :evil:

As for your liking or not liking my posts as an act of endorsement or otherwise, I'm afraid that system can seem to mean all things to all people.
So, I'd never be wholly certain if you were showing brotherly support, or contrariwise, anyway...

:wacko:

Anyhoo up In truth I should be chasing myself about the place with a pointy stick.

Much to do >>>>
This place is 'displacement activity' 101.. :whistle:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I'd be interested to hear why you're defending him so much; have you not got daughters or nieces, or sisters? Would you be fine with any of your female family achieving success, only for Alan Sugar to tweet "Congrats to the first female CEO of DynoCorp - and what a cracking pair she's got"?

Did the DynoCorp CEO get 'em out on telly?

If Lineker had said something like that then I think he should probably be sacked. But he didn't. Again, yes it was a bit daft but it was a non-sexual reference to an item of clothing that we've all seen. He should have thought about the possibility of the tweet being reinterpreted as pervy, but it wasn't pervy in and of itself.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It's not the perviness - that came in the comments from others that his post elicited- it's the crassness of thinking 'Stunning achievement for women's sport? ...... oh, I know, I'll crack a bra joke!' . He didn't think it through, he went for Likes on Twitter, and now he's mystified that women are a bit cheesed off about it. Women are tired of this stuff. It clearly doesn't bother some blokes, but many of us are tired of it.

We don't want to live in a Bamforth's seaside postcard from the 1960's anymore.

matticus

Guru
it's the crassness of thinking 'Stunning achievement for women's sport? ...... oh, I know, I'll crack a bra joke!'

If you want a serious, purely factual comment on the event, go to the BBC Sports Main Page (or indeed their front page on Sunday evening, I suspect). If you want something more light-hearted, you have the OPTION of going to someone like 'Gary'.

It's crazy to have a ban on jocular comments that include trigger words which MIGHT have some link to tasteless comments that MIGHT be made in response.

bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra
bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra protective box bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra
bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra adams apple bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra groin injury bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
It's not the perviness - that came in the comments from others that his post elicited- it's the crassness of thinking 'Stunning achievement for women's sport? ...... oh, I know, I'll crack a bra joke!' . He didn't think it through, he went for Likes on Twitter, and now he's mystified that women are a bit cheesed off about it. Women are tired of this stuff. It clearly doesn't bother some blokes, but many of us are tired of it.

Can you think of a few phrases which would fit into a tweet, are fun and lighthearted, celebrate England's victory and acknowledge Kelly's goal and subsequent shirtless celebration in an appropriate fashion?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
i dont see how mentioning someones bra is sexist??? and she opened the door to the hooplah not gary

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
What a plonker. With all that's gone on in the last few years; BLM, LGBTQ+ rights, gender equality etc etc, all the headlines and cartoons and celebrity rants about treating everyone as equals. And a highly paid, highly visible and very famous Football pundit makes boob jokes about our national football team.

Didn't see anything about boobs, maybe I need to read the tweet again... oh... can't, its been censored

mudsticks

Squire
If you want a serious, purely factual comment on the event, go to the BBC Sports Main Page (or indeed their front page on Sunday evening, I suspect). If you want something more light-hearted, you have the OPTION of going to someone like 'Gary'.

It's crazy to have a ban on jocular comments that include trigger words which MIGHT have some link to tasteless comments that MIGHT be made in response.

bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra
bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra protective box bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra
bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra adams apple bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra groin injury bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra bra
Nobody suggested banning anything..

Stop claiming you or anyone else is some kind of repressed victim of censorship, in all this..
People are just asking, and expecting a bit more forethought from a TV pundit given the circumstances.

Can you think of a few phrases which would fit into a tweet, are fun and lighthearted, celebrate England's victory and acknowledge Kelly's goal and subsequent shirtless celebration in an appropriate fashion?

Yup, and If one is not instantly available , is that the fault of of women who sometimes take their tops off for say comfort, celebration, temperature control etc.

Or of a society / culture - call it what you will that can't witness a woman taking said top off, without it being made into something that it doesn't have to be made into..

ie smutty, or sexualised, or some kind of 'Carry On' carry on ..??

mudsticks

Squire

Pretty sure we never wanted to live like that, but we didn't always have the means , confidence, or platform to object

Now we're supposedly allowed to say if something makes us uncomfortable.

Of course whether anyone listens, or changes their behaviour based on that information, is another matter altogether.

Top Bottom