Women's football success

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
It's interesting that you put those words in quotes.

Because it doesn't actually seem to be a quote from Gary. Odd that. :scratch:

Its not a quote from gary…….its a mudsticks quote

the same as she said these woman are of privileged backgrounds, just because they are friends of gary….how does that make them privileged??

mudsticks

Squire
It's interesting that you put those words in quotes.

Because it doesn't actually seem to be a quote from Gary. Odd that. :scratch:

No, indeed, because those are not quote marks.

"These" are quote marks.

I never said I was quoting him.

Writing something like 'this' indicates something else altogether.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yes on reflection I think you're correct, it really is best if men get to decide what is or isn't sexist, or what comprises women being 'over sensitive'..

Just as white people are best placed to instruct black or brown people what does or doesnt comprise a racist slur.

Same really, as how straight folks should get to tell the gays how they should feel about the denigrating things said to, or about them..

Also with able bodied folks, they know best how those living with disability should get spoken about..

And so on.

Let the dominant group decide how it all should go, and keep the natural order of things as they are 👍🏼

All in all, It would definitely save a whole heap of all that tiresome listening, or trying to understand what all these people are on about...

I am not arrogant enough to presume to decide what is sexist or not. That is why I started with Imo, and I apologise for having an opinion that doesn't always align with yours. I never mentioned being over sensitive, that is your misinterpretation of my use of the word sensitive in the last sentence.

Has anyone asked Chloe Kelly what she thought about the tweet, or is her view irrelevant in the wider battle for the moral high ground?

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
I am not arrogant enough to presume to decide what is sexist or not. That is why I started with Imo, and I apologise for having an opinion that doesn't always align with yours. I never mentioned being over sensitive, that is your misinterpretation of my use of the word sensitive in the last sentence.

Has anyone asked Chloe Kelly what she thought about the tweet, or is her view irrelevant in the wider battle for the moral high ground?

Chloe's view would be interesting, but it wouldn't make any difference to how the tweet landed in, or affected the wider world in general.

What a well know football pundit says, is going to have a far greater effect 'out there' than us having a conversation in a side room of an obscure UK bike forum.

And we both know that.

So no of course it doesn't matter whether or not we agree .

It does matter, quite a lot more, what GL says .

I think he could take a bit more care, and hopefully he will, once he's seen the oafish responses he's unleashed from the sidelines.

But that's up to him to act on.

Edited to add...

Nah - it's not worth the ink.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Chloe's view would be interesting, but it wouldn't make any difference to how the tweet landed in, or affected the wider world in general.

What a well know football pundit says, is going to have a far greater effect 'out there' than us having a conversation in a side room of an obscure UK bike forum.

And we both know that.

So no of course it doesn't matter whether or not we agree .

It does matter, quite a lot more, what GL says .

I think he could take a bit more care, and hopefully he will, once he's seen the oafish responses he's unleashed from the sidelines.

But that's up to him to act on.

Edited to add...

Nah - it's not worth the ink.. :rolleyes:

seriously - gary has unleashed........can you point to the oafish repsonses gary has personally released??

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I see that Lineker has responded to the controversy by saying he has 'dad joke tourette's'. So he's answering unthinking sexism with unthinking ableism...

I see that Lineker has responded to the controversy by saying he has 'dad joke tourette's'. So he's answering unthinking sexism with unthinking ableism...

It shows how easy it is for us all to cause unintended offence simply by being immersed in prevailing attitudes during our formative years. Bearing in mind that Lineker is described by many as being a woke virtue signaller I wonder if wokeism is really having the profound effect on society that is often claimed.

matticus

Guru

Good spot. He's showing his true colours now, isn't he? He's no innocent crisp-muncher, oh no!

Fetch me my pitchfork, let's lynch 'Gary' before he does any more harm. Who's with me?!?

(Does anyone know his home address? )

mudsticks

Squire

And, all the while unthinkingly lowering the bar for what kind of stuff passes as 'funny' from fathers..

Is the phrase 'dad joke' just becoming another excuse for trotting out tired old prejudices, and stuff that should have been put to bed decades ago??

Maybe I was unusually.lucky but my dad had a much better soh even back in the 70's and 80's..

Mind you, he wasn't really that much of football fan, maybe there's a correlation.

🤔

It sometimes seems were sliding backwards, not moving forwards..

winjim

It shows how easy it is for us all to cause unintended offence simply by being immersed in prevailing attitudes during our formative years. Bearing in mind that Lineker is described by many as being a woke virtue signaller I wonder if wokeism is really having the profound effect on society that is often claimed.

Good spot. He's showing his true colours now, isn't he? He's no innocent crisp-muncher, oh no!

Fetch me my pitchfork, let's lynch 'Gary' before he does any more harm. Who's with me?!?

(Does anyone know his home address? )
matticus' use of rhetoric notwithstanding, these responses do illustrate problems with discussion around 'wokeness' and 'cancel culture' or whatever we're calling it today. It's possible for a societal issue to be identified but then have that taken as a personal slight. What should be an open conversation then becomes an argument as one party goes on the defensive, possibly using attack as a form of defence and completely shuts the discussion down.

That's how I see things happening sometimes anyway, including on this very forum.

What a plonker. With all that's gone on in the last few years; BLM, LGBTQ+ rights, gender equality etc etc, all the headlines and cartoons and celebrity rants about treating everyone as equals. And a highly paid, highly visible and very famous Football pundit makes boob jokes about our national football team.

winjim

Occam's Razor my friend. (or put it another way - what is the prevailing view of footballers (male, white, over 60) on the NACA forum?)

How much of that view is a tongue in cheek play on stereotypes and public personas? Sometimes it's difficult to tell.

Top Bottom