What Do We Think So Far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
As regards content on here, it seems to me 'news' is still often allowed in Cafe in the other place which is holding this place back - the Baldwin shooting being the latest example.
I started that thread with a thought that it would probably get moved, but as no one is able to offer any defence of the film crew it seems to have been let through. so some News is allowed.

The masks on trains thread is interesting there are quite clearly some very vocal anti maskers being allowed to offer counter comment with little support for their position.

mudsticks

Squire
There's is.

Prey enlighten of the method.??

swansonj

Regular
We are living on borrowed time until someone really tries to disrupt it.
Very true, and what I was hinting at earlier.

So far, to give two examples, we have had a poster telling another poster to fark off. We all lived with that (we're still here) presumably in part because we decided it was a bit pathetic and they may have been drunk. And we've had a poster making racist comments about a footballer. We all decided to live with that, presumably in part because it was directed at a third party (in part also because it didn't appear to be consciously chosen or meant as abuse, more a case of underlying racist assumptions slipping out).

But at some point, a poster may embark on a sustained campaign of abuse of another poster, or may make racist comments (or comments equally offensive based on gender, disability or some other personal attribute) against one of us rather than a third party. When that happens, it would seem that we have no protection.

mudsticks

Squire
But at some point, a poster may embark on a sustained campaign of abuse of another poster, or may make racist comments (or comments equally offensive based on gender, disability or some other personal attribute) against one of us rather than a third party. When that happens, it would seem that we have no protection.

If they do, we can just sit on them til they stop right ??

mudsticks

Squire
Well, I wouldn't, I can't speak for anyone else.

Good :okay:

mudsticks

Squire
We could always write our own code of conduct.. And get it commonly agreed upon ..
Or even borrow one from elsewhere..

If someone feels a poster is transgressing then they can repost the 'roolz' in thread, and say why they feel they're outside of them .

Others can draw their own conclusions, and ignore as they see fit

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Bizarrely literally just after I posted about the woodpecker pole, the electric pole replacement guys turned up for a recce.

Apparently they're all being replaced, next week except for Woodies one, because that particular one has been 'adopted' by BT..

Oh OK...:wacko:

Still, good to hear that his home has been saved for now..

Oh and what happened to the thread at the other place, that was complaining about this place ??

It didn't become 'over heated' did it??:eek:
Off topic: if the woodpecker is feeding there, then there will be bugs in it but I'm sure that it won't mind if the pole is horizontal and a new electric pole installed.
On topic: I actually found the thread quite offensive. NACA was being presented as CC's other, where all the ''usual suspects'' hang out.

mudsticks

Squire
Off topic: if the woodpecker is feeding there, then there will be bugs in it but I'm sure that it won't mind if the pole is horizontal and a new electric pole installed.
On topic: I actually found the thread quite offensive. NACA was being presented as CC's other, where all the ''usual suspects'' hang out.

Yeah me too to the second part.

However, it was comically obvious that the 'agenda' re "only espousing sensible opinions" came from those who clearly believe only their opinions are in any way valid .

Or else can't stick up for their views, because they've never had them challenged in any meaningful way

You develop a thick skin to 'othering' after a while.

Being talked 'about' rather than talked to.

Try being a pretty average everyday, socially conscious eco feminist, for a few decades.

You get used to the name calling, and derision, in the end, it's just part of the landscape.
Sad, but just part of the 'job'

After a while you come to realise, that maybe it's better than being ignored altogether??

Means ,something has got through, even if it's being resisted by the 'bizniz as usual' guys.

But yes re woodpecker and bugs in that pole, definitely some kind of feeding station.

I think it will stay for now, the two new ones either side will be enough support for the electric and phone lines..

I think woodpeckers like upright, rather than fallen wood, safer feeding for them I guess.

Got plenty of other standing and fallen dead wood, for all the other bugs n beasties to hang out in and make their lives too .

It's a right busy little farm for all that :okay:

Top Bottom