What Do We Think So Far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Another locked NACA thread in the cafe over there.

A handful of the old NACAs seem obsessed with this place.

They now seem to be moaning about being cancelled.

All beyond me, it's only one click to get here, same as the old board.

Post if you want to, don't post if you don't want to.

No need to make a big thing of it.

More posts about it than in it.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Another locked NACA thread in the cafe over there.

They now seem to be moaning about being cancelled.

All beyond me, it's only one click to get here, same as the old board.

Post if you want to, don't post if you don't want to.

No need to make a big thing of it.
What was that one about?

mjr

We are living on borrowed time until someone really tries to disrupt it.

If we built houses like this site, woodpeckers would destroy civilisation eventually.
I think we have a candidate for "First 'Pecker"... :sad: but I hope I'm wrong.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
start more threads. Don't be afraid to have a thread die a death or be ignored or be seen as uninteresting, just start it anyway and see what happens. We've probably all got a few threads we could start on topics that are currently occupying our thoughts, just go for it! You've got nothing to lose.
Good idea. How about you kick off this thread-starting frenzy?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Just caught up with this thread. There have been a couple of times when when the discussions on the new NACA have turned into a personal spat for a few posts, but most people are behaving themselves.

I always felt that previously it was not too difficult for a member to get a topic closed by the moderators - just get a bit histrionic or try to make out it's all personal and bingo you've got the thread shut. It seemed to be a tactic from some members to shut down discussion on certain topics.

At one point I did ask the moderators to look into the edit button, with a view to perhaps limiting the edit function to an hour or less. You can edit stuff over 24hrs after you post and there were a couple of times when people made very substantial changes to contentious posts, long after posting, which seems wrong. You could keep a delete function.

As to the fewer numbers of posters, well maybe more will post if they feel the atmosphere is more respectful and less combative. People aren't going to post if they think they'll get jumped on (which is not the same as being asked to back up your opinions). It's up to regular posters to set the tone.

mudsticks

Squire
Just caught up with this thread. There have been a couple of times when when the discussions on the new NACA have turned into a personal spat for a few posts, but most people are behaving themselves.

I always felt that previously it was not too difficult for a member to get a topic closed by the moderators - just get a bit histrionic or try to make out it's all personal and bingo you've got the thread shut. It seemed to be a tactic from some members to shut down discussion on certain topics.

At one point I did ask the moderators to look into the edit button, with a view to perhaps limiting the edit function to an hour or less. You can edit stuff over 24hrs after you post and there were a couple of times when people made very substantial changes to contentious posts, long after posting, which seems wrong. You could keep a delete function.

As to the fewer numbers of posters, well maybe more will post if they feel the atmosphere is more respectful and less combative. People aren't going to post if they think they'll get jumped on (which is not the same as being asked to back up your opinions). It's up to regular posters to set the tone.

I do like that threads don't get shut down here.

It used to feel at times, that if someone was a bit on the back foot, feeling uncomfortable, or else losing 'face' in some way, that they would try to mess threads ups, or be provocative, so as to get them closed down.

Nowadays , issues can get dissected and explored more thoroughly, and positions get properly challenged.

(albeit with the odd bit of nonsense thrown in - which can lighten things up of course )

And of course some things will get a bit personal from time to time, particularly if people actively choose to use provocative language.

The ignore button is always there, for such instances :smile:

No one is forced to contribute, but no one is barred from doing so either as far as I know .

swansonj

Regular

And of course some things will get a bit personal from time to time, particularly if people actively choose to use provocative language.

The ignore button is always there, for such instances :smile:

I think this is a grey area. If someone tells me (or anyone else) to fark off, I can ignore it. If someone posts comments that reveal them to be racist, I can be happy for that to stand so that everyone can see their thought processes exposed. But if someone picks on another member because of their expressed gender identity and insults them over it, or if someone uses racist epithets, then the ground shifts a bit - by continuing to post on this forum, am I not implicitly giving endorsement to an arena in which those behaviours are accepted?

mudsticks

Squire
I think this is a grey area. If someone tells me (or anyone else) to fark off, I can ignore it. If someone posts comments that reveal them to be racist, I can be happy for that to stand so that everyone can see their thought processes exposed. But if someone picks on another member because of their expressed gender identity and insults them over it, or if someone uses racist epithets, then the ground shifts a bit - by continuing to post on this forum, am I not implicitly giving endorsement to an arena in which those behaviours are accepted?

I don't really believe they are 'accepted' though are they.??

I'd just say point it out, and pull em up on it , and carry on.

I get the feeling that those offending either live in very narrow worlds, where that sort of talk is acceptable in their group of 'mates' and so think it's acceptable here, there, and everywhere..

i.e. they're basically just socially naïve or inept.

Or else they're deliberately doing it to get a rise..

Some kind of 'thrill' from being supposedly transgressive.

Willy waving trolls basically.

Either way.

Point it out, move on, don't make too much of a fuss,

I hope that anyone who does feel they've been the victim of such an attack does know they're supported, by the majority.

At the same time I think it's quite good to get dodgy attitudes out in the open, and shown up for what they are..

Also at the same time, this isn't cleaning out the chicken howse is it..:angel:

>>>>>

Rusty Nails

Country Member

There wasn't exactly an avalanche of CC members rushing to join this forum, but I believe the numbers are slowly increasing.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I didn't join for ages as I was too busy and don't like to post and then not reply for days. I also think people are a bit intimidated about posting perhaps. Which is another reason for us not to be snarky to each other. It scares people off and it would be nice if we could widen the discussion at times.

Top Bottom