UK set to criminalise illicit refugee crossings....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Trouble is there are a lot of people dumb enough to fall for this, and nod along.

Who has massively encouraged property capitalism, who made renting more insecure and expensive, who sold off the social housing stock, who deliberately imposed austerity and cut funding to children's services ? ?

Have to say it's interesting to now hear about a Tory suddenly sticking up for a single parent.

When usually they're portrayed by the right wing as benefit scrounging, uncontrolled breeders of feral scum. If that's convenient to their divisive narrative.

Oh but now they're now being wheeled out and used to encourage demonising of asylum seekers.

But yes people fall for it time and again..
So no surprise they do it I guess??

The weaponisation of misery....

Reactions: C R

Cirrus

During a debate in Parliament yesterday about protecting renters from being thrown out onto the streets by unscrupulous landlords,than nice Tory MP for Dover Natalie Elphicke, told of a single mum of 7 kids in her constituency having been thrown onto the streets helpless, whilst people arriving in boats get put into hotels....
Let's just unpack that eh, Natalie?
Apart from a false equivalence, who the fark is in charge of running social services and rules about rentals? As you're thicker than a Devon cobb wall, I'll tell you, it's you and your mates you stupid heartless racist daffodil....

Positively tame compared to the French, no wonder the migrants don't want to stay there and view the green and pleasant sunlit uplands of Brexit Britain with envy: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63507371

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
FFS, no wonder they're called the nasty party.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...n-about-conditions?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Totally devoid of humanity....

On Times Radio on Friday, Chris Philp, a former immigration minister who was handed the policing brief in the most recent cabinet reshuffle, said: “If people choose to enter a country illegally, and unnecessarily, it is a bit, you know, it’s a bit of a cheek to then start complaining about the conditions when you’ve illegally entered a country without necessity …
“They don’t even have to come here, they were in France already and previously often passed through Belgium, Germany, and many other countries on the way.”

It’s typical Tory reiteration of various lies.

Even although they know the truth, they repeat these falsehoods at every opportunity to reinforce them in the minds of racists, bigots, and the wilfully ignorant. It’s the politics of division and hatred.

People like that, and their supporters, are not interested in the truth. They don’t want to be corrected. They don’t want to hear the reality. They want to set people against one another. They want to punch down on people who already are powerless, vulnerable and poor.

Those who repeat the same bilge, including on here, aren’t interested in learning how asylum actually works, if it goes against their prejudices and preconceptions. That’s why I gave up wasting my time trying and why I no longer get angry about the bollocks they come out with; it’s a waste of energy that can otherwise be directed in a positive way.

Instead, I‘ve found that the biggest ‘fark you’ I could deliver to this government and its supporters was to get involved with supporting asylum seekers and refugees where I live.

To that end, since I retired, I have been volunteering regularly at a local charity where we supply them with whatever they need: prams, clothes, period products, food, pots & pans, toys, books, etc. They can drop by any time and know they are in a safe space where they can relax for a bit and meet up with others, share food (free) and have a chat. There’s childcare for parents who need a few hours’ break, a prayer room, even a classroom where children and adults are taught English.

The vast majority of volunteers are also refugees, giving back what they can in time or skill to contribute to the effort. The staff and those we help are the most wonderful people and it’s an absolute joy to be a tiny part it.

If you get the chance to do similar, I throughly recommend it. It beats the hell out of wasting energy on people who won’t listen anyway.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
It's ok though Fab Foodie can house a couple in his spare room.

Don't you mean the whole of the east wing, the green room and the former stables conversion?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Looks like Devon are doing their bit (well, sort of) they don’t seem too happy about it though… https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-63519627

£5.6m a day to accommodate the 37,000 in hotels according to the article

The local MP was whining about it the other day.
There are several issues, firstly there doesn't seem to be any prior communication between the Home Office and local councils/MPs, which automatically puts people and local organisation on the back foot.
And it's a fair point that somewhere geographically and particularly
culturally remote might not be the best place to dump a large number of people from a culture which is pretty alien to the location - and am thinking from the asylum seekers POV. But as none of this has been thought through in a constructive manner, that's no surprise.

I do hope the good people of Devon rise to the challenge and make them welcome.

mudsticks

Squire
On Times Radio on Friday, Chris Philp, a former immigration minister who was handed the policing brief in the most recent cabinet reshuffle, said: “If people choose to enter a country illegally, and unnecessarily, it is a bit, you know, it’s a bit of a cheek to then start complaining about the conditions when you’ve illegally entered a country without necessity …
“They don’t even have to come here, they were in France already and previously often passed through Belgium, Germany, and many other countries on the way.”

It’s typical Tory reiteration of various lies.

Even although they know the truth, they repeat these falsehoods at every opportunity to reinforce them in the minds of racists, bigots, and the wilfully ignorant. It’s the politics of division and hatred.

People like that, and their supporters, are not interested in the truth. They don’t want to be corrected. They don’t want to hear the reality. They want to set people against one another. They want to punch down on people who already are powerless, vulnerable and poor.

Those who repeat the same bilge, including on here, aren’t interested in learning how asylum actually works, if it goes against their prejudices and preconceptions. That’s why I gave up wasting my time trying and why I no longer get angry about the bollocks they come out with; it’s a waste of energy that can otherwise be directed in a positive way.

Instead, I‘ve found that the biggest ‘fark you’ I could deliver to this government and its supporters was to get involved with supporting asylum seekers and refugees where I live.

To that end, since I retired, I have been volunteering regularly at a local charity where we supply them with whatever they need: prams, clothes, period products, food, pots & pans, toys, books, etc. They can drop by any time and know they are in a safe space where they can relax for a bit and meet up with others, share food (free) and have a chat. There’s childcare for parents who need a few hours’ break, a prayer room, even a classroom where children and adults are taught English.

The vast majority of volunteers are also refugees, giving back what they can in time or skill to contribute to the effort. The staff and those we help are the most wonderful people and it’s an absolute joy to be a tiny part it.

If you get the chance to do similar, I throughly recommend it. It beats the hell out of wasting energy on people who won’t listen anyway.
Good for you ..

I'm of a similar mindset, although definitely need to take a much bigger leaf out of your book in terms of wasting breath, or energy on arguing with.

"i don't care, so there, nya nya nya, nya nya"

Types.

Working alongside people who do care, who do do things, is far more rewarding, and can be lots of fun too.

Anyhow keep up the excellent work..

💜🙏🏼💚

The local MP was whining about it the other day.
There are several issues, firstly there doesn't seem to be any prior communication between the Home Office and local councils/MPs, which automatically puts people and local organisation on the back foot.
And it's a fair point that somewhere geographically and particularly
culturally remote might not be the best place to dump a large number of people from a culture which is pretty alien to the location - and am thinking from the asylum seekers POV. But as none of this has been thought through in a constructive manner, that's no surprise.

The good people will, they nearly always do, and they are to be found pretty much everywhere..

But yeah stuck on the North Devon coast, in winter, could feel a bit bleak, and cut off from the world.

icowden

Legendary Member
Hopefully. This sort of thing isn;t helpful though:-

The Home Office said: "The number of people arriving in the UK who require accommodation has reached record levels and has put our asylum system under incredible strain.
"The use of hotels to house asylum seekers is unacceptable - there are currently more than 37,000 asylum seekers in hotels costing the UK taxpayer £5.6m a day.
"The use of hotels is a short-term solution and we are working hard with local authorities to find appropriate accommodation."
If only there were some sort of solution?

Hang on...
. There were 48,540 asylum applications (relating to 56,495 people) in the UK in 2021
And what happens to asylum seekers once they are granted asylum (refugee status)?
If you’ve been living somewhere as part of getting Asylum Support, you’ll have to move within 28 days of getting refugee status.
If you’re already living with friends or family, you don’t need to move. If your friends or family are claiming benefits to help them pay rent, it might mean they receive less.
So the reason that 37,000 asylum seekers are in hotels costing the UK taxpayer £5.6 million per day is that no-one has managed to get around to completing 37,000 asylum claims.

It therefore follows that if we processed the paperwork we would solve the problem!
Not only that but anyone granted refugee status can look for work. So some of those refugees would start paying in to the economy which would help fund the cost of processing newly arrived refugees.

But what could be the cause of the problem?

The backlog of asylum seekers waiting more than six months for a decision to be made on their case has trebled [this means that it has increased 3 times as much] since Priti Patel took over as Home Secretary in 2019.

While the pandemic might have made the issue harder to remedy, the trend began long before it began… The reason for the growing delays appears to be straightforward: fewer decisions are being made and the number of asylum claims has increased.

The percentage of cases on which a decision is being made within 6 months has declined drastically since 2014.
This is despite an increase in staffing levels
The majority of these asylum seekers will ultimately be recognised as refugees and allowed to remain in the United Kingdom long term.”
and
A report published by the Refugee Council in July 2021 found that the average waiting time for an initial decision on an asylum case is likely to be between one and three years. It stated that Home Office delays in providing initial decisions on asylum claims were mainly caused by a failure by the Home Office to keep up with the number of decisions that needed to be made.

So it is literally f*ckwittery by Priti Nazi and Leaky Sue that is causing the problem. We could solve it by using the money we were going to use on planes to Rwanda to just process paperwork. We could make the process simpler. We could make the process easier. Sweden gets 4 times as many refugees as the UK but processes them on average in 173 days.

It therefore follows that if we processed the paperwork we would solve the problem!

Almost as if the Cons deliberately created a bogeyman.

94FAB70A-9D59-4D0E-9A46-78BC4E96021B.jpeg

Cirrus

So the reason that 37,000 asylum seekers are in hotels costing the UK taxpayer £5.6 million per day is that no-one has managed to get around to completing 37,000 asylum claims.

Is it really that simple, are there vacant houses/ flats available to house the 37,000 people (was under the impression there was already a bit of a housing crisis) and if they were, would they really be able to self support without support from the taxpayer.

Is it really that simple, are there vacant houses/ flats available to house the 37,000 people (was under the impression there was already a bit of a housing crisis) and if they were, would they really be able to self support without support from the taxpayer.

There are about 40,000 towns in the U.K. so roughly one refugee each doesn’t seem too onerous. In reality many will be in family or other groups so most areas won’t see any at all.

We pay tax precisely so that we can support people until they can fend for themselves.

Top Bottom