UK set to criminalise illicit refugee crossings....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought the majority were single men and that family groups were minority.

Edited to add some data:

From: - https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ny-people-do-we-grant-asylum-or-protection-to
View attachment 2449

Where does it specify marital or parental status in that table? Why didn’t you screen grab this note?

ABC7D272-8BE0-4C99-93F4-E2104C33049E.jpeg

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
If we are going to let them stay anyway, either because they are, as many believe, potentially productive members of society, or, because we have nowhere to send them back to, why do we need to "process" them? Why not cut out the smugglers, by providing a free ferry crossing, and, issue a UK Passport, on arrival at Dover (or where ever)?

Because some will be bona-fide asylum seekers and can have a green light to get on with their lives.
Some may be found to be criminal and can be tried/jailed/deported, whatever is appropriate.

Those that are chancing it as economic migrants we have a choice to either deport them if that's possible and safe, or we may decide they have something to offer the nation and let them stay.

An application and processing centre in Calais would have been a great idea, but since Brexit we've burned that boat....

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Because some will be bona-fide asylum seekers and can have a green light to get on with their lives.
Some may be found to be criminal and can be tried/jailed/deported, whatever is appropriate.

Those that are chancing it as economic migrants we have a choice to either deport them if that's possible and safe, or we may decide they have something to offer the nation and let them stay.

An application and processing centre in Calais would have been a great idea, but since Brexit we've burned that boat....

Yes, I get the bolded bit, I did vote "Remain".

As for the other three groups you describe, ie

- bona-fide asylum seekers
- economic migrants
- criminals

your proposed solution sounds reasonable, although, I can imagine that determining the status of each individual may take some time, after all, it is hardly going to be a case of having a series of doors marked "bona-fide asylum seekers"; "economic migrants" ; "criminals' is it?

Is there any evidence that any Government (of whatever party) have successfully operated such a vetting system for the kind of volume of people we are now seeing?

Last edited:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
How much does it cost to build houses compared to hotel costs?
So you are now suggesting that building houses for asylum seekers is the way forward? As the majority seem to be aiming to stay, we just keep building houses for anyone that arrives? I live near a town with a population of around 41,000, that is almost exactly how many people we would have to house if we built them houses. Does that sound anything like realistic to you?

Mugshot

Über Member
Fucking hell, are you going to just write this every time I post a reply?
Now, if I was using your MO, I'd check how many posts you'd made, check how many times I'd posted "gotcha", post the results and think I'd scored a point 👍

Mugshot

Über Member
So you are now suggesting that building houses for asylum seekers is the way forward? As the majority seem to be aiming to stay, we just keep building houses for anyone that arrives? I live near a town with a population of around 41,000, that is almost exactly how many people we would have to house if we built them houses. Does that sound anything like realistic to you?

So far as I'm aware there's a shortage of housing, affordable and social, despite promises from various governments to address this. The looking after our own argument is a popular one when it comes to not housing Immigrants.
It seems to me that we could help with this by building more houses, it may be cheaper than paying hotel bills, they could be used for generations to come and we may find that some of the people arriving on our shores have the relevant skill set to be employed building them, meaning they're contributing to the economy and community.
So what's the cost difference between building houses and paying hotel bills?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Yes, I get the bolded bit, I did vote "Remain".

As for the other three groups you describe, ie

- bona-fide asylum seekers
- economic migrants
- criminals

your proposed solution sounds reasonable, although, I can imagine that determining the status of each individual may take some time, after all, it is hardly going to be a case of having a series of doors marked "bona-fide asylum seekers"; "economic migrants" ; "criminals' is it?

Is there any evidence that any Government (of whatever party) have successfully operated such a vetting system for the kind of volume of people we are now seeing?

Yes, they were doing 3 to 4 times better 5 years ago than they are now, so they can and must do it, there's no other choice unless we want to keep filling-up hotels....

Ian H

Guru
There's a lot of interesting info here (ox.ac.uk), including this chart. You can play with the live version - scroll down to find it in the link. My screen-grab is showing migrants per 10,000 head of population. See where Cypress stands.

migrants.JPG

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It's unlikely that Cyprus is going to be their permanent location though. Isn't it just a point of entry for the EU for Africans, in the same way as Italy's Lampadusa?

Top Bottom