The Nasty Party (AKA the Tories), it's back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
And his more recent Work Event.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
You do wonder what the current government imagines it's in power to do, exactly.

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Wokey Dick
I wasn't arguing Netflix (or any other streamer) better than BBC, I was arguing, good it may be, but, that does not mean improvements cannot be made.
The point of the BBC is it's a universal service, so individually there is a lot you, me or anyone else probably won't watch, listen to or even like.

But think collectively and as a universal broadcaster and service it is flippin better than anything else. By a long, long way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Wokey Dick
You do wonder what the current government imagines it's in power to do, exactly.
Party like it's 1933

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The point of the BBC is it's a universal service, so individually there is a lot you, me or anyone else probably won't watch, listen to or even like.

But think collectively and as a universal broadcaster and service it is flippin better than anything else. Buy a long, long way.
Better than anything else, is your view, which, incidentally, I would share. Does that mean improvement is impossible?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Can we quit with the 'improvement' nonsense? We all know nothing's perfect but equally we all know what the 'improvement' and 'efficiency' euphemisms are a pretext for. It adds nothing to the discussion, especially without any specifics attached to it.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Can we quit with the 'improvement' nonsense? We all know nothing's perfect but equally we all know what the 'improvement' and 'efficiency' euphemisms are a pretext for. It adds nothing to the discussion, especially without any specifics attached to it.
Ok Moderator

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
'Monkey Tennis' is what me and OH say to each other whenever we see a trailer for 'Camping With My Ex Mother in Law' or whatever the next cheap as chips to make reality show is.

The BBC is great at what it does and part of that is providing free online stuff like GCSE revision, and things like the World Service. If we want it to keep providing stuff like this we need to be realistic about it competing with the likes of Netflix who have none of the overheads of these kind of niche things and can thus spend $7 million an episode on The Crown. Perhaps we need to lower our expectations.

For what it offers the BBC is great value for money. I don't use the online stuff or listen to BBC radio but I wouldn't want to lose it because millions of others do, both here and abroad.

Top Bottom