Political language. What helps, what doesnt ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
And here it is, in a nutshell, quite literally straight from the (Pale) horse's mouth.

To paraphrase - "I don't care how awful they are, how inhuman, how grotesque, how much harm they do - just as long as they're hurting them".

And next thing you know, you're cheering on a totalitarian regime that's marching them into the gas-chambers.

It's certainly a possible interpretation, and I think some people do think like that.

Or say they do.

The other possibility is that some people don't really care so much either way.

So long as there's some light entertainment, soap opera characters, show business, to make some capital or column inches out of..

I mean yes it's still abhorrent to be so detached from, and unconcerned about the real life consequences of what our politicians do.

But it's kind of less aggressively nasty, if you like.

The end result is of course the same, so neither position is great..

Pale Rider

Veteran
And here it is, in a nutshell, quite literally straight from the (Pale) horse's mouth.

To paraphrase - "I don't care how awful they are, how inhuman, how grotesque, how much harm they do - just as long as they're hurting them".

And next thing you know, you're cheering on a totalitarian regime that's marching them into the gas-chambers.

Calm down, Patel will only last so long, just like all the rest.

To paraphrase Saki: "She was a good home secretary as home secretaries go, and as home secretaries go, she went."

Anyway, winding up lily livered woke lefties does not indicate she is the devil incarnate, it just indicates she holds a different view, even if that is an offence to the hard of understanding.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Calm down, Patel will only last so long, just like all the rest.

To paraphrase Saki: "She was a good home secretary as home secretaries go, and as home secretaries go, she went."

Anyway, winding up lily livered woke lefties does not indicate she is the devil incarnate, it just indicates she holds a different view, even if that is an offence to the hard of understanding.

No difficulty understanding whatsoever here.

Her offence is not her differing views it her trying to override the International convention on Human rights, and treatment of refugees..

It is a little more than a 'wind up' for anyone with a care for the law, or indeed the moral integrity of this country.

My liver is in fine fettle , despite being everso leftie and 'woke'..

I'd far far rather be awake, and aware than one of those hard of cognition

"I don't give a toss about government corruption 'stout' patriots"

I mean that looks like way too much in the way of moral, and mental gymnastics .

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I think it is Patel who has suggested an end to online anonymity as a way of making people think twice about posting abuse. It sounds a good idea in principle but will just make people open to abuse, doxxing, and stalking, or worse in real life. Making FB, Twitter etc spend more on deleting abuse as soon as it's posted would be better.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think it is Patel who has suggested an end to online anonymity as a way of making people think twice about posting abuse. It sounds a good idea in principle but will just make people open to abuse, doxxing, and stalking, or worse in real life. Making FB, Twitter etc spend more on deleting abuse as soon as it's posted would be better.

Judging from some of the posts on this forum (which is mild by the standards of some) defining abuse will be a challenge. ;)

BoldonLad

Well if we don't ..

Then we jolly well should.

"Take back control" etc etc

Quite, just send in a "virtual gunboat" and sort out these colonials and foreigners ;)

Actually, since it is virtual, I suppose, we could send a "virtual aircraft carrier", and, some "virtual aircraft" ;)

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Quite, just send in a "virtual gunboat" and sort out these colonials and foreigners ;)

Actually, since it is virtual, I suppose, we could send a "virtual aircraft carrier", and, some "virtual aircraft" ;)

Personally I think I'd be quite good at the job.

I'd just go round the whole of the internet.

Draw myself up to my full 5'10" of virtual virtue.

And give those awful ruffians a damn good ticking off.

Tell them to sort out their degenerate ideas, and desist from foul language..

That'd show em..

BoldonLad

Personally I think I'd be quite good at the job.

I'd just go round the whole of the internet.

Draw myself up to my full 5'10" of virtual virtue.

And give those awful ruffians a damn good ticking off.

Tell them to sort out their degenerate ideas, and desist from foul language..

That'd show em..

I am cowering just thinking about it ;)

Top Bottom