Political language. What helps, what doesnt ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not at all. It's interesting that the insults and abuse towards politicians does seem to all come from the posters on the left, and not the apparently hate filled right. I wonder why that is then?
Are you referring to posters in the small fish bowl that is NACA? As I tried to explain to Dirty Harry, insults are part and parcel of criticising government and can be quite humorous. I also asked The Man With No Name who exactly is being insulted? Perhaps you can answer me that as Josey Wales refused to answer that simple question. Who exactly is being insulted?

As for abuse, I'm not sure there has been any abuse. But if an upstanding member of her majesties government has happened upon one of my harsh but hilarious posts and found it to be abusive towards Boris "how much does it cost to beat up a mean journalist" Johnson, then I'd be happy to discuss it with them.

Does someone brave start a thread to discuss a hot political potato right now, and we all debate and discuss with no insults? Do we seriously think that could even be done in here right now?

I noticed when you selectively quote, you're careful to only quote the bit you find offensive and missing the context of the original quote. A familiar tactic of the far right or crappy film promo copy writers.

What you decided to quote:
Then the term "Tory scum" fits the profile perfectly.

The full paragraph with the quoted sentence at the end - for context:
Do we lower ourselves to the level of the right wing press and the yah boo politics of Tory bores shouting "calm down dear", "you big girl's blouse" from the front benches or joking about bombing the shadow chancellor in her parliamentary office? Then the term "Tory scum" fits the profile perfectly.

Anyway, I'll ask again as you like using the word so much.

Who. Exactly. Is. Being. Insulted?

Last edited:

FishFright

Ok, I will try again.

It is a provable fact that Priti Patel is not a member of an organisation that ended at the of the second world war with the defeat of Hitler's Nazi Party. I think that makes that particular statement 'incorrect'. Would you agree?

In regard to the other statements, feeling uncomfortable around the constant abuse is exactly what we are talking about. If a pretty woman was walking along a road in a very short skirt and a figure hugging top with nice legs, lovely hair and a pretty face it would be accurate to say to her 'You look beautiful'. Would you do it though as that may potentially make her feel uncomfortable? My guess is you wouldn't.

Read the posts from many contributors on here about the government, they do not move the debate on, they just agree with the previous post, but try and top the abuse. How does that help?

You've had this explained to you over and over again . What is it that makes it impossible for you to understand those explanations ?

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Not at all. It's interesting that the insults and abuse towards politicians does seem to all come from the posters on the left, and not the apparently hate filled right. I wonder why that is then?

Well, the right don't seem to be particularly bright, Patel in particular. Johnson too, though in a grudging way I do admire how he's a lot of people admiring his bluster.

Not that I don't criticise Labour, who have been far too slow to challenge the Conservatives as their main opponents.

Does someone brave start a thread to discuss a hot political potato right now, and we all debate and discuss with no insults? Do we seriously think that could even be done in here right now?

Not with you around it won't.

I rather like Nadders and she can't do a lot of harm at culture.

Ubergruppenfuhrer Patel winds the opposition up so much she must be doing it right.

The least said about Truss the better.

She absolutely can. She has bizzare beliefs about the BBC and supports selling of Channel 4 which seems unlikely to benefit anybody other than the Treasury. Culture Media and Sport reaches into a lot of people's interests.

Pol Pot Patel is truly dangerous; including to her own party.

Truss was even more useless at Justice than Grayling and believe me he set the bar extraordinarily low.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Ubergruppenfuhrer Patel winds the opposition up so much she must be doing it right.

And here it is, in a nutshell, quite literally straight from the (Pale) horse's mouth.

To paraphrase - "I don't care how awful they are, how inhuman, how grotesque, how much harm they do - just as long as they're hurting them".

And next thing you know, you're cheering on a totalitarian regime that's marching them into the gas-chambers.

Top Bottom