Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Again the last line screams 'I'm alright Jack'
But he voted how he did because that is what felt right for him. Why does everyone keep on with the whole 'I'm alright Jack' line of attack.

Everyone voted because they wanted the best for themselves. Either because they wanted to move around differently, they are keen to work abroad, they want workers from abroad, whatever. People vote for the outcome they want, if they get it then they are happy, if they don't then winge endlessly.

If remain had won, you could quite rightly be accused of an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude because you got what you wanted.

the snail

Shep, was it an increase in expenditure you voted for?

What was in your mind when you voted to leave?

What did you hope to gain or change?

I want to know your motivation.

You seem to articulate things well so please enlighten me.
I think it's a pretty common approach among leave voters - they felt there might be some positive outcomes - e.g. less foreigners, illegal immigrants etc, and there would be little actual impact on their daily lives. Remember, a lot of brexiteers were telling is food etc. would be cheaper outside the EU.

Salty seadog

I think it's a pretty common approach among leave voters - they felt there might be some positive outcomes - e.g. less foreigners, illegal immigrants etc, and there would be little actual impact on their daily lives. Remember, a lot of brexiteers were telling is food etc. would be cheaper outside the EU.

I'm constantly dumbfounded by the comments I see on asylum seekers that 'We've left the EU and they're still coming over here'

D

Deleted member 28

Thank you.
Again the last line screams 'I'm alright Jack'
Everyone does what's in the best interest for themselves, I just have the balls to admit it. You've probably felt no difference either, you just like to make out you ' think of others ' F**k off, everyone's the same.

D

Deleted member 28

It was win, win for me.
I'm well off enough not to worry about a few quid on the bills, got no mortgage and a job that's safe.
Enough in the pension pot to walk away tomorrow so nothing to lose, it's when d**kheads come on here preaching to me how I've been conned, mislead and I'm stupid that brings out the smug tw*t in me.

Milzy

Rich people:

‘We need to leave the EU so they can’t tax us’.
‘But no-one will vote just to make us richer’.
‘We’ll tell them we’ll kick out foreigners’.
‘But the foreigners make us rich’
‘We’ll get them back after our money is safe’.
‘cool?’.
‘Cool’.

Oh the fooling irony. 🤪

Pale Rider

Veteran
Everyone does what's in the best interest for themselves, I just have the balls to admit it. You've probably felt no difference either, you just like to make out you ' think of others ' F**k off, everyone's the same.

The expression of faux concern, latterly called virtue signalling, is a big problem for politicians trying to compose a manifesto.

Many people will give a thumbs up to proposals which benefit wider society when they think someone is listening.

But come the privacy of the ballot box, baser instincts take over and the X will generally land opposite the name which offers most to the individual.

Ian H

Guru
It was win, win for me.
I'm well off enough not to worry about a few quid on the bills, got no mortgage and a job that's safe.
Enough in the pension pot to walk away tomorrow so nothing to lose, it's when d**kheads come on here preaching to me how I've been conned, mislead and I'm stupid that brings out the smug tw*t in me.
So you're only slightly worse off than before, and you're not particularly concerned about those who have lost out. And you consider that a 'win'. Have I got that right?

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

That's a massive projection on your part.

Sure some people only care about themselves.

Thankfully that's not how everyone feels or behaves.

Lots of people do things selflessly on behalf of strangers they'll never even meet, go the extra mile to help make things better for society in general .

And they don't expect a massive fanfare, or pay out for it.

Consider those doctors who go and work for Medicine sans Frontiers , for example.

Are they only in it for themselves.??

Sure there's no shortage of selfish people around.

But there are plenty also willing to consider the bigger picture, and wider society , not just themselves.

That this now gets called 'virtue signalling' is just an indication of the mindset of people who toss that phrase around.

It doesn't take away from the good that many people do.

swansonj

Regular
Just flagging this post for future reference for when, as it inevitably will, this forum fails, and rightwingers claim, as they inevitably will, that it was the posting style of left wingers that caused it.

swansonj

Regular
Further, sometimes less is more.

Several posters became tired of the women's rights message, not because they didn't agree with it, but because it was repeated too often.
Reminds me of all those white people who said that black people going on about civil rights all the time made them feel uncomfortable, and if only the black people would just back off and be patient, we white people might generously decide to give them a few crumbs of civil rights.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Reminds me of all those white people who said that black people going on about civil rights all the time made them feel uncomfortable, and if only the black people would just back off and be patient, we white people might generously decide to give them a few crumbs of civil rights.

It took a while, but I'm glad someone, that wasn't me finally got round to saying this.

I'm kind of curious to know who these 'several posters' were.

Was it a private polling.??

Yes yes - of course it was - that's how it all works isn't it ?? :becool:

Top Bottom