Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Everyone does what's in the best interest for themselves.... .....F**k off, everyone's the same.
I've never voted on that basis, tbh I can't remember when either of the main parties promised anything that seemed particularly beneficial to me personally. I vote for the party I think will be best for the country. So no, everyone isn't the same, or like you.
It'll be interesting to see how things work out for the tories, having promised not to raise taxes, when low to middle income workers get hit, and the increased taxes still won't stop them having to sell their cash-cow homes for care fees.

Archie_tect

Having worked to provide social housing throughout the NE and Yorkshire and on one-off private houses [since 1983] I can say without doubt that some of the most generous and kind people who start off with very little are lovely but then, as a group, the ones who have either made, married into, or inherited their wealth are some of the most unpleasant people I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

There are exceptions to this observation...

To see people vote against equality and for greater protection through isolationism in society and turn to the Tories as they seek to protect and conserve their privilege and good fortune makes me despair.

swansonj

Regular
Everyone does what's in the best interest for themselves.....
There's some (probably unintended) truth in that. Voting for higher taxes, which I consistently do to whatever extent the options on offer allow it, may not be in my short-term interest, which is probably the sense you meant it, but it is in my long-term interest, if it results in an NHS and social care system more able to support me in my impending old age, a fairer society for my children to find their way in, and a survivable planet for their children to live in.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
There's some (probably unintended) truth in that. Voting for higher taxes, which I consistently do to whatever extent the options on offer allow it, may not be in my short-term interest, which is probably the sense you meant it, but it is in my long-term interest, if it results in an NHS and social care system more able to support me in my impending old age, a fairer society for my children to find their way in, and a survivable planet for their children to live in.

Ditto.

All the services well funded and we'll run makes for a nicer, and safer life for everyone, including me, and mine.

I can probs credit a big part of my success, and my 'nice life' to having benefitted from well run services and support systems when I was younger.

I don't think Shep is actually against paying more tax to fund these things.

He himself, said he was cool with it some time back.

I think it's more that he doesn't see that the Tories particularly as a party right now, are fundamentally opposed to the idea of a society that works collectively to uplift itself, as a whole, and are unwilling to do the proper investment for all that good stuff to happen.

And to see that the least advantaged get taken proper care of, right now..

It was just this #getbrexitdone mantra that was used to brainwash people.

So many fell for it, because they were just tired of hearing about it.

And 'hoped' that it could somehow magically 'get done' with no real depressive effect on the country as a whole.

Well we can see right now, how all that's going

FishFright

Hero might not be the best word, but I couldn't immediately think of another.

Posting stuff everyone agrees with - Brexit is shite, women get a bad trot from (some) men - only takes you so far.

Further, sometimes less is more.

Several posters became tired of the women's rights message, not because they didn't agree with it, but because it was repeated too often.

Same with Brexit, thousands (literally) of Brexit is shite posts in the other place ultimately became counter productive.

Once again, most people on here would agree, but they get fed up of reading the same thing over and over, leaving the thread to become an ever smaller echo chamber.

Try posting things that aren't designed to get a negative reaction ?

Everyone does what's in the best interest for themselves

As Johnson said,
Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
My posts are not designed to get any reaction, they are purely what I think.

You can't hack someone disagreeing with you, but that's your problem, not mine.

If they're purely what you think.
Why embellish them with words or phrases such as claptrap.

I could opine that your posts often come across, as cold, cynical, and uncaring.

Often unnecessarily rude, and with a rather large shovelful of superiority complex heaped on the top.

But that would just be saying what I think, it would only be my opinion .

I could of course, write the same using far more 'colourful' terms, but it doesn't really seem necessary to do that .

And of course, you could disagree with my perspective.

Pale Rider

Veteran
If they're purely what you think.
Why embellish them with words or phrases such as claptrap.

I could opine that your posts often come across, as cold, cynical, and uncaring.

Often unnecessarily rude, and with a rather large shovelful of superiority complex heaped on the top.

But that would just be saying what I think, it would only be my opinion .

I could of course, write the same using far more 'colourful' terms, but it doesn't really seem necessary to do that .

And of course, you could disagree with my perspective.

Once again, make of my posts what you will.

In my cold, cynical, uncaring fashion, I'm not bothered.

Although this repeated dissecting of my posting style is bordering on the creepy.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Once again, make of my posts what you will.

In my cold, cynical, uncaring fashion, I'm not bothered.

Although this repeated dissecting of my posting style is bordering on the creepy.

Honestly nothing to get creeped out about, it's just idle observation.

I'm quite happy to ignore any or all of it from now on

And you'll not be bothered about that, in the slightest, so that's fine .

Top Bottom