Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Well - they didn't really. The fact the Tories got an 80-seat majority makes it look like that, but the UK electoral system means they won that with 42% of the vote. With the exception of a few minor parties, the majority of the other 58% of votes were for parties that opposed Brexit, or wanted a second referendum.

It is what it is, though.
Surely at the time it was Tory=Leave, Labour=2nd vote.

Anything else just handed it to 'us'.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Pretty sure Labour were backing the second referendum option going into the election.

Never let that get in the way of a story....

Backing a second referendum is not quite the same as being pro Remain. I wanted to vote for a party who were pro-remain.

D

Deleted member 49

Backing a second referendum is not quite the same as being pro Remain. I wanted to vote for a party who were pro-remain.
Right so even though remain would have been a option...wasn't for you.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Right so even though remain would have been a option...wasn't for you.

? I don't understand. Labour where not offering Remain, they were offering (so I am told), a second vote, which may or may not have produced a "Remain" outcome. Given (my perception) of public feeling by the time of the election, I very much doubt that a second referendum would have produced a "Remain" outcome. But, of course, we will never know for certain, now. It would appear that many people swallowed the "get Brexit Done" line, because, as we know, Boris was elected. I didn't vote for him (Boris), not that it made any difference, they weigh the Labour. Votes in the Constituency in which I live.

D

Deleted member 49

? I don't understand. Labour where not offering Remain, they were offering (so I am told), a second vote, which may or may not have produced a "Remain" outcome. Given (my perception) of public feeling by the time of the election, I very much doubt that a second referendum would have produced a "Remain" outcome. But, of course, we will never know for certain, now. It would appear that many people swallowed the "get Brexit Done" line, because, as we know, Boris was elected. I didn't vote for him (Boris), not that it made any difference, they weigh the Labour. Votes in the Constituency in which I live.
So if Labour were offering a second vote with leave being one option...surely option two would of been remain ?
Personally speaking as a remain voter id have took Labour/Corbyn with a leave vote anyway.Biggest mistake they made was getting drawn into the Brexit sh1tshow.Should have gone with their first instinct and let Brexit happen.
But as you say hindsight is a wonderful thing...well not really as we've ended up with this prick running the country 🙄

D

Deleted member 49

You could have wasted your vote and put a cross for the Lib Dems 😁

D

Deleted member 49

Mmm...now who was that again,saviour of Labour Sir Kier ? Hows that working out 🙄

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Thing is - no-one was offering a 'sod the referendum result, we're staying' option! Even the massively pro-EU SNP (wot I voted for, separatist scum that I am) supported a second referendum rather than just ripping up the original result.

Personally I think the result, much as it sticks in my throat to say it - had to be honoured. However with a result as narrow as the 52-48 split we had, it should have been the softest of soft Brexits - which probably would have happened had Corbyn been able to form a government in 2017.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Personally I think the result, much as it sticks in my throat to say it - had to be honoured. However with a result as narrow as the 52-48 split we had, it should have been the softest of soft Brexits -
I agree with you on this. I can perfectly understand the desire to have a second vote due to the dishonesty of the original campaign, although I am not sure it would have changed the result anyway, too much emotion having got in the way. Having said it would be honoured didn't leave any room for manoeuver with such a close result.

It might have been possible to campaign for remaining in the customs union or even the single market as a compromise solution taking into account it is almost certain the actual majority of the country didn't want to leave. This might have produced a better result than enabling Johnson to gain such a victory at the general election, and the disastrous government he has presided over since then.

icowden

Legendary Member
You could have wasted your vote and put a cross for the Lib Dems 😁

I did and we *nearly* got rid of Dominic Raab. One of the safest seats in the country and he reduced a 28,000 vote majority to just 2743. Shows you how much we love our MP and how dedicated he is to himself the area...
  • 2015 - 28,000 majority
  • 2017 - 23,000 majority
  • 2019 - 2,743 majority

D

Deleted member 49

I did and we *nearly* got rid of Dominic Raab. One of the safest seats in the country and he reduced a 28,000 vote majority to just 2743. Shows you how much we love our MP and how dedicated he is to himself the area...
  • 2015 - 28,000 majority
  • 2017 - 23,000 majority
  • 2019 - 2,743 majority
I nearly won the lottery a few years ago...only two numbers off.

Top Bottom