Oh no!! Brexit not going quite as well as hoped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

They could do that with Ryvita and no one would notice the difference.

icowden

Legendary Member
You're confusing 'benefits of Brexit ' with people who voted leave and are getting on with life.

Well that sounds joyless.

"Yep, I voted leave, I know it's crap but I might as well enjoy the shortages, sewage in the sea, rising inflation, charges when I go abroad and our loss of standing in the world, whilst I can...."

Why did you vote leave if you thought things were going to get worse?

D

Deleted member 28

Well that sounds joyless.

"Yep, I voted leave, I know it's crap but I might as well enjoy the shortages, sewage in the sea, rising inflation, charges when I go abroad and our loss of standing in the world, whilst I can...."

Why did you vote leave if you thought things were going to get worse?
As I said, I was hoping some things would improve, over time, and am willing to put up with the things that have worsened.
You've heard this many times before though!

icowden

Legendary Member
As I said, I was hoping some things would improve, over time, and am willing to put up with the things that have worsened.
You've heard this many times before though!

Imagined conversation at Shep Industries:-

S: Yeah, we decided to pull out of the block contract for maintenance and supply to go it on our own.
I: Hows that going then?
S: Well, not quite as well as we hoped but you know, teething troubles...
I: What kind of teething troubles?
S: Well, we don't a have maintenance contract any more so the roof has collapsed, but - there is a *great* view of the sky now.
I: Isn't it cold?
S: Yes, but we have got a whole load of coats on order, they just haven't arrived yet
I: Any other problems?
S: Well, the raw materials haven't been arriving due to supply issues, the water has been cut off - but we are using a freshly dug latrine - got to look positive!
I: So - any positives?
S: We can take down the EU flag from the front door and have a Union Jack!
I: Um... okay...
S: And - we can sell stuff in pounds and ounces even though all of our production equipment is calibrated to metric and there is no demand for imperial.
I: ?
S: And the mugs in the kitchen have the kitemark on.
I: But you are cold, wet, have no running water, no supplies and can't make anything?
S: Yeah but - could be worse... teething problems, you know....
I: I can't help noticing that your disgruntled employees are nailing you to a cross?
S: Just a bit of fun. Morale boosting... Gotta be cheerful though <sings> "Always look on the bright side of life...."

D

Deleted member 28

Imagined conversation at Shep Industries:-

S: Yeah, we decided to pull out of the block contract for maintenance and supply to go it on our own.
I: Hows that going then?
S: Well, not quite as well as we hoped but you know, teething troubles...
I: What kind of teething troubles?
S: Well, we don't a have maintenance contract any more so the roof has collapsed, but - there is a *great* view of the sky now.
I: Isn't it cold?
S: Yes, but we have got a whole load of coats on order, they just haven't arrived yet
I: Any other problems?
S: Well, the raw materials haven't been arriving due to supply issues, the water has been cut off - but we are using a freshly dug latrine - got to look positive!
I: So - any positives?
S: We can take down the EU flag from the front door and have a Union Jack!
I: Um... okay...
S: And - we can sell stuff in pounds and ounces even though all of our production equipment is calibrated to metric and there is no demand for imperial.
I: ?
S: And the mugs in the kitchen have the kitemark on.
I: But you are cold, wet, have no running water, no supplies and can't make anything?
S: Yeah but - could be worse... teething problems, you know....
I: I can't help noticing that your disgruntled employees are nailing you to a cross?
S: Just a bit of fun. Morale boosting... Gotta be cheerful though <sings> "Always look on the bright side of life...."
I like it, thing is though whatever happened I knew the changes wouldn't make much difference to me so it was a free punt really.

But again, you know this as well.

icowden

Legendary Member
I like it, thing is though whatever happened I knew the changes wouldn't make much difference to me so it was a free punt really.
But again, you know this as well.

That's true, but I think what many of us remoaners find exasperating is the "well I'm OK" attitude of Brexiteers towards Brexit. Us whingy left wing (well middle wing for me) hand wringers like to think about *other* people - e.g. our children and grandchildren who have many less opportunities, the general impact on communities and on the country.

Obviously hedge fund managers are fine, but it boggles many of us that the Government is not looking at the disaster they have made and started to do something about it other than tousling their hair and espousing inane slogans.

D

Deleted member 28

That's true, but I think what many of us remoaners find exasperating is the "well I'm OK" attitude of Brexiteers towards Brexit. Us whingy left wing (well middle wing for me) hand wringers like to think about *other* people - e.g. our children and grandchildren who have many less opportunities, the general impact on communities and on the country.

Obviously hedge fund managers are fine, but it boggles many of us that the Government is not looking at the disaster they have made and started to do something about it other than tousling their hair and espousing inane slogans.
Fair point, unfortunately too many of 'us' felt that way and too many couldn't be bothered to vote at all.
In fairness though everyone had a '2nd go ' and still voted to leave.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Fair point, unfortunately too many of 'us' felt that way and too many couldn't be bothered to vote at all.
In fairness though everyone had a '2nd go ' and still voted to leave.
Well - they didn't really. The fact the Tories got an 80-seat majority makes it look like that, but the UK electoral system means they won that with 42% of the vote. With the exception of a few minor parties, the majority of the other 58% of votes were for parties that opposed Brexit, or wanted a second referendum.

It is what it is, though.

the snail

Well - they didn't really. The fact the Tories got an 80-seat majority makes it look like that, but the UK electoral system means they won that with 42% of the vote. With the exception of a few minor parties, the majority of the other 58% of votes were for parties that opposed Brexit, or wanted a second referendum.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Both the main parties were anti brexit before the referendum, both said they would honour the result, so really only the Libdems and Greens were opposing brexit at the last election, neither of which had any chance of forming a government.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

? I voted based on my remain credentials, as far as I knew, I only had a choice of two candidates, and Labour was not one of them.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Both the main parties were anti brexit before the referendum, both said they would honour the result, so really only the Libdems and Greens were opposing brexit at the last election, neither of which had any chance of forming a government.
? I voted based on my remain credentials, as far as I knew, I only had a choice of two candidates, and Labour was not one of them.
Pretty sure Labour were backing the second referendum option going into the election.

Top Bottom