Nurse murdered seven babies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I wondered who would be the first prat to bring up that 40+ year-old from page.

Your next task is the Daily Mail story from the 30s in which they backed the fascists.

It'll soon be time to celebrate the centenary of that one.

Not really biased, I am looking at it purely from the point of view of its production values, which are top notch.

I may think The Guardian is largely full of garbage, but I would never call it a crap newspaper in production terms.

As am I. This is going to, once again, just go in circles. And I suspect we may have wildly differing versions of what constitutes top notch production.

I've no doubt that, as mass market tabloid, the Sun is at the top of it's game.

My issue is a philosophical one over how stuff is chosen and reported.

icowden

Legendary Member
Your next task is the Daily Mail story from the 30s in which they backed the fascists.
Oh we don't need to go that far back...
Daily_Mail_-_Enemies_of_the_People.png

The mail is another mendacious newspaper not fit to use as toilet roll.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
I've no doubt that, as mass market tabloid, the Sun is at the top of it's game.

My issue is a philosophical one over how stuff is chosen and reported.

Just one example of how The Sun can do complex topics well.

This one relates to the ownership of Tottenham Hotspur, in light of the previous owner putting his share into a complex family trust.

What is essentially a dull and difficult to understand topic is made digestible and bordering on interesting.

They added some personal colour about the previous owner - Joe Lewis - after he was charged with insider trading.

None of the usual knee jerk criticisms of Sun stories can be applied in this case, and they churn out stuff of this quality day in, day out.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2319...e 86-year-old,,supremos in the Premier League.

Oh we don't need to go that far back...
View attachment 4470
The mail is another mendacious newspaper not fit to use as toilet roll.

Ah, that one again.

As a High Court judge said many years ago 'justice is not a cloistered virtue, it should be subject to the scrutiny of ordinary men', so even the judiciary accept they are not immune to criticism.

But I'm sure they are grateful for your support.

No doubt the millions who voted for Brexit took a different view.

As a High Court judge said many years ago 'justice is not a cloistered virtue, it should be subject to the scrutiny of ordinary men', so even the judiciary accept they are not immune to criticism.

Nobody is saying Judges should not be subject to scrutiny. Plenty of legal correspondents out there to argue why x or why was wrongly decided. Same with the man on, waiting for, the Clapham Omnibus who thinks they're all sofites.

But that's not what that headline was about.

Government was trying to do something. Citizen thought they'd got the way of doing it round their necks. The judges agreed.

Although the citizen was hoping to throw a spanner in the works the government simply did what the court said was needed and an Act was passed.

Brexit wasn't delayed, never mind stopped.

What relavance had the fact that one of the Judges was gay or a former Olympic Fencer?

multitool

Shaman
I was pleased to see your new found dislike of personal abuse.

But it didn't last long.

Of course the simple truth is you love to dish it out but cannot take it.

Typical, sad, lonely, keyboard warrior.

When I point out your personal abuse I am being sarcastic, to make the point that you are, amongst all your manifest failures, a hypocrit. It is not to suggest that I am offended or "cannot take it".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
When I point out your personal abuse I am being sarcastic, to naked the point that you are, amongst all your manifest failures, a hypocrit. It is not to suggest that I am offended or "cannot take it".

My screen must read differently to yours.

Wonderful thing, the interweb.

spen666

It'll soon be time to celebrate the centenary of that one.

Not really biased, I am looking at it purely from the point of view of its production values, which are top notch.

I may think The Guardian is largely full of garbage, but I would never call it a crap newspaper in production terms.

The Guardian? You mean that paper whose founders were part of the slave trade. Strangely those who want to bring up embarrassing stories about newspapers never seem to lead on this one though

multitool

Shaman
The Guardian? You mean that paper whose founders were part of the slave trade. Strangely those who want to bring up embarrassing stories about newspapers never seem to lead on this one though

Several big differences. The first being temporal, a hundred and twenty years between events.

The second being social attitudes at the time. Involvement in the textile industry in the early 1800s was almost bound to lead to cotton plantations. In 1930s Britain, I doubt many were keen to see anti-semitic attacks at state level.

The third and most relevant is that the Mail is still publishing hateful zenophobic shît.

The Guardian isn't.

Several big differences. The first being temporal, a hundred and twenty years between events.

The second being social attitudes at the time. Involvement in the textile industry in the early 1800s was almost bound to lead to cotton plantations. In 1930s Britain, I doubt many were keen to see anti-semitic attacks at state level.

The third and most relevant is that the Mail is still publishing hateful zenophobic shît.

The Guardian isn't.
The bolded bit tells us pretty much everything we need to know. In early 1800 Manchester Cotton was King....

Top Bottom