Nurse murdered seven babies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Several big differences. The first being temporal, a hundred and twenty years between events.

The second being social attitudes at the time. Involvement in the textile industry in the early 1800s was almost bound to lead to cotton plantations. In 1930s Britain, I doubt many were keen to see anti-semitic attacks at state level.

The third and most relevant is that the Mail is still publishing hateful zenophobic shît.

The Guardian isn't.

This sounds very much like an excuse?.

It so happens, I agree, there is little to be gained by examining certain, if not all, historical events through the prism of the present, but, I don't recall such generosity when, for example, the Colston Statue issue was being discussed?

multitool

Shaman
This sounds very much like an excuse?.

It is contextual detail to demonstrate a difference between being a British Nazi supporter in the 1930s, and having a stake in the textile industry in the early 1800s.

It so happens, I agree, there is little to be gained by examining certain, if not all, historical events through the prism of the present, but, I don't recall such generosity when, for example, the Colston Statue issue was being discussed?

I think there was plenty of contextual discussion around the history of Colston. Remember that Colston was a slaver, and whilst the past cannot be undone it doesnt mean Colston should continue to be celebrated with statues and music venues named after him.

Bristol is full of awkward history. Some of the grandest University buildings are connected with the Wills tobacco family.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I can't believe I'm about to write this, but at what it does, The Sun is highly effective. It's riddled with mendacious nonsense and poorly laid out amongst other things; but if the brief was to hit the lowest common denominator of the gutter press it's hard to deny they've absolutely nailed it.

It's a paper to read on your tea break. I'm not sure it has ever aspired to be anything else.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
The Guardian, or rather the Scott Trust, have exposed this themselves and covered it at length.

Do they still have their offices abroad for tax purposes? The reality is every media outlet has its angle and its audience. Some are more reliable than others but few are truly independent, including The Sun and The Guardian.

spen666

Several big differences. The first being temporal, a hundred and twenty years between events.

The second being social attitudes at the time. Involvement in the textile industry in the early 1800s was almost bound to lead to cotton plantations. In 1930s Britain, I doubt many were keen to see anti-semitic attacks at state level.

Hmm has someone had a road to Damascus type conversion, because they never afforded Colston in Bristol the same type of defence when posting back in February 2023

https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/the-queen-the-monarchy.351/post-51439

Seems being involved in Slave Trade is ok if you are a left wing newspaper, but not for others

multitool

Shaman
Hmm has someone had a road to Damascus type conversion, because they never afforded Colston in Bristol the same type of defence when posting back in February 2023

https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/the-queen-the-monarchy.351/post-51439

Seems being involved in Slave Trade is ok if you are a left wing newspaper, but not for others

What is your point?

Mine is that many in Bristol find it an affront that a slave trader still has a statue commemorating him. Or did.

Mr Celine

Back on topic...

This case was brought up on another forum I read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucia_de_Berk

Some similarities to the Letby case.

As it stands I think she was guilty, but no doubt most people thought de Berk was too.

Reactions: C R

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Just one example of how The Sun can do complex topics well.

This one relates to the ownership of Tottenham Hotspur, in light of the previous owner putting his share into a complex family trust.

What is essentially a dull and difficult to understand topic is made digestible and bordering on interesting.

They added some personal colour about the previous owner - Joe Lewis - after he was charged with insider trading.

None of the usual knee jerk criticisms of Sun stories can be applied in this case, and they churn out stuff of this quality day in, day out.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23195220/who-owns-tottenham-hotspur-joe-lewis/#:~:text=JOE LEWIS has been charged,is his role at Tottenham?&text=The 86-year-old,,supremos in the Premier League.

Ah, that one again.

As a High Court judge said many years ago 'justice is not a cloistered virtue, it should be subject to the scrutiny of ordinary men', so even the judiciary accept they are not immune to criticism.

But I'm sure they are grateful for your support.

No doubt the millions who voted for Brexit took a different view.

Sorry to veer back off topic, but if you actually believe that's a quality but of writing you've gone wrong.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Sorry to veer back off topic, but if you actually believe that's a quality but of writing you've gone wrong.

Bold assertion, but nothing else.

Tell us why the story is so badly written and constructed.

As an amateur, you are excused 'but' instead of 'bit', but it doesn't augur well for your judgement of prose quality.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Bold assertion, but nothing else.

Tell us why the story is so badly written and constructed.

As an amateur, you are excused 'but' instead of 'bit', but it doesn't augur well for your judgement of prose quality.

I've written copy for banks, newspapers and magazines. I could pull you up on your typos too, but there wouldn't really be much point.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
So no copy clinic on the horizon?

Pity, I was looking forward to it.

There's a typo in the caption under their picture of Lewis for starters. And apparently the article took two writers. I'd have thought one would have been enough to create such quality, but apparently not.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Two more Letby legal developments.

She has given notice of appeal against the convictions in her trial, and she is to face a retrial on of the attempted murders which the jury was unable to reach a verdict.

The first stage of the appeal is for a High Court judge to decide if there's any merit in it.

Unless the original trial judge cocked up badly, one might think the appeal will fall at the first hurdle.

The retrial is only over one attempted murder, even though there were no verdicts over six.

Retrying any attempted murder would usually be seen as in the public interest, although in this case it can make no practical difference to sentence - assuming the appeal gets nowhere.

It may be one of those rare occasions in which the views of the families have been genuinely taken into account.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-66910521

Top Bottom