North Shropshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
My mum used to do that to me and my brother sometimes. I don’t think it ever achieved the desired outcome.
Did you and your brother ever call for an election that pretty much everybody else agreed you couldn't win?

D

Deleted member 49

Corbyn could have been Prime Minister if only the Lib Dems had helped him win...
Or Lib Dems were used by the Tories for austerity then spat out again...
I mean I'm allways happy when the Tories lose,but I'd no sooner vote Lib Dem than Lozza ! Feck em both as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know.
I thought the issue was that Corbyn was not prepared to have anyone other than the leader of the opposition as a caretaker PM, not that the Tories prevented Clarke, or whoever from doing it.

Constitutionally the position after a Government falls is that the leader of the next largest party tries to form a Government. Corbyn was unlikely to command the necessary majority but seemed insistent on having a go. Swinson wasn't prepared to facilitate him having a go and then decided to support an election.

There were several possible leaders including Clarke, who by that time had been defenestrated from the Tory party, or Dominic Grieve. I'm sure there were Labour people too who had no PM/leadership ambition.

Swinson bears a heavy responsibility for the mess we're in now.

Given you don't go in for scare tactics, I can only assume you are simply mistaken in that view.

I'm still surprised you believe it.

Do you seriously dispute that people like Steve Baker, Steven Brine and Joy Morrisey are hard right?

D

Deleted member 49

Do you seriously dispute that people like Steve Baker, Steven Brine and Joy Morrisey are hard right?
I'm guessing it's what you define as hard right...the likes of Baker are more of a god bothering prick than hard right to me.Even the buffoon himself Johnson,he'll be whatever it takes.
Bit like saying Corbyns Labour were hard left,when in reality they were anything but.

Pale Rider

Veteran

Absolutely, they are lily livered wusses if we are chucking terms like 'hard right' around.

At least Ed Davey didn't tell his supporters to 'get back to your constituencies and prepare for government'.

🤣🤣🤣🤣
(you were joking, right? )

No. Hindsight is of course in play. Major was a vast improvement on Thatcher and achieved things like sorting out street homelessness that lead to a camp of tents and 'benders' in Lincolns Inn Fields. He had his 'bastards' on the back benches to deal with and was pretty ruthless.

Some of his Ministers, particularly Tony Newton who I worked with in a later role, were good people. DLA replacing Attendance Allowance for the under 65s was a wholly good reform undone by Cameron and the abomination that is PIP.

The alternative to May was Leadsom; need I say more.

Top Bottom