North Shropshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Just a way of defining the make up of political parties, and by necessity a generalisation, so not a complete description.

A proportion of voters could be viewed as being socially highly conservative but very "left" when it comes to things like the NHS or economy. For example, it is not uncommon to have people who are highly conservative on matters such as same sex marriage or immigration but amenable to nationalisation and very against NHS privatisation. Us voters have to weigh up where we align with politicians and where we diverge and vote for the party / people who we think best represents us.

It is also shown in reverse at times with the "hard-left" of the Labour party where their economic thoughts can align with the same people but socially they are a million miles away from each other.

Hmm... yes, I can understand that. I have often thought that Political "leanings" should be regarded as a circle, rather than a straight line, because, it seems to me, as a individuals move from the centre (say 6 o'clock position on the circle), more and more to the extremes of "Right" or "Left", they eventually just about meet (at 12 o'clock) with all kinds of nasty extremist tendencies coming into play.

Salty seadog

"Hard" is of course entirely subjective whether applied to left or right, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Just for fun, could you give us some examples of what would seem to you to be "hard" right views or policies?

Good luck with that.

Hmm... yes, I can understand that. I have often thought that Political "leanings" should be regarded as a circle, rather than a straight line, because, it seems to me, as a individuals move from the centre (say 6 o'clock position on the circle), more and more to the extremes of "Right" or "Left", they eventually just about meet (at 12 o'clock) with all kinds of nasty extremist tendencies coming into play.
Are you sure you’re not confusing behaviours with beliefs?

I don’t think so, isn’t behaviour usually at least influenced by beliefs?
I presume your clock face analogy is saying that extremists often have similarities in behaviour - authoritarianism, intolerance of contrary opinions, and so on - and that may be true in many cases. I would argue that is caused more by the realities of gaining and maintaining power than by differences in belief about cooperation versus competition.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I presume your clock face analogy is saying that extremists often have similarities in behaviour - authoritarianism, intolerance of contrary opinions, and so on - and that may be true in many cases. I would argue that is caused more by the realities of gaining and maintaining power than by differences in belief about cooperation versus competition.

I understand what you are saying, but, I wasn't speaking of those in power, but, mere mortals such as ourselves ;)

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Mere mortals also play with power in everyday life - but I would say those more interested in co-operation have a built-in disadvantage there unless the level of debate is raised.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Rees-Mogg - can be argued to have dallianced with far right, retweeting AfD and defending doing so by saying that it was important to understand this strand of German thinking, ... he strikes me as flirting dangerously close to some really unpleasant ideas.
The AfD started out much like UKIP - principled argumentation against being in the EU. Just as UKIP was taken over by hard-right zealots, the AfD which started in the same manner has also now a substantial number of very unsavory people in its midst. A mixture of genuine conservatives who feel disenfranchised, some protesting against out of control immigration (including former SPD members) and a group of racist neo-Nazis. It is under watch from the constitutional authorities because of its dubious commitment to democracy.

It is also the home to anti-vaxxers and covid deniers, having taken over with others of similar ilk a legitimate movement protesting about govt restrictions.

If Rees-Mogg only wishes to understand this German thinking in order to prevent a similar group getting any power in Britain then this is all to the good, but if he is thinking of emulating them, that they might have some good ideas, this can only mean the current Tory party has gone off the deep end.

swansonj

Regular
"Hard" is of course entirely subjective whether applied to left or right, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Just for fun, could you give us some examples of what would seem to you to be "hard" right views or policies?
It is, of course, your privilege what you choose to reply to or not. Just pointing out that you have not, in fact, chosen to take this opportunity to help us all develop an understanding of what "hard" should correctly be applied to in terms of right-wing politics, given that you did choose to tell us that it doesn't apply to Rees-Mogg, Baker, Patel, or Raab.

Top Bottom