Nationalise, regulate or laissez-faire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Indeed, and, we are selling it at world market rates, plus, some (if not all) of the Companies doing the extracting are multi-nationals , are we going to Nationalise (for example) Shell?

There is another factor too, as our friends in the North head towards independence, will they be selling 'their' gas to us at 'mates rates' or at world market rates?

We are not selling the gas, Shell and the other extraction companies are selling what we already own back to us. I have no problem with paying the the cost of delivery plus a profit margin.

As for Scotland, it will be their wealth so their decision.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Why would public ownership and direction of essential utilities impact consumer choice of appliances? It simply doesn't follow.

Well, to the best of my knowledge/experience, it did. You could only buy (and have fitted) gas appliances from the ‘Gas Board’, and, you could only have the telephone handset as supplied by GPO or whatever they were called, at the time. Not saying it is necessary/essential/obligatory, more a case of saying, be careful what you wish for.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
We are not selling the gas, Shell and the other extraction companies are selling what we already own back to us. I have no problem with paying the the cost of delivery plus a profit margin.

As for Scotland, it will be their wealth so their decision.

You missed out the cost of finding it. Presumably, there are Contracts and Legally Binding Agreements. I didn’t think that reneging on such things was generally regarded as good form on here?

Well, to the best of my knowledge/experience, it did. You could only buy (and have fitted) gas appliances from the ‘Gas Board’, and, you could only have the telephone handset as supplied by GPO or whatever they were called, at the time. Not saying it is necessary/essential/obligatory, more a case of saying, be careful what you wish for.

How it was isn't how it needs to be.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
The picture is Getty Images so presumably a library picture for effect.

Southern Water, who have stated it to be 95/97% rainwater, have been fined eyewatering amounts for polluting in that area.

And if 5% is turds and tampons then that's raw sewage.

And if 5% isnt turds and tampons, it isnt raw sewage

You missed out the cost of finding it. Presumably, there are Contracts and Legally Binding Agreements. I didn’t think that reneging on such things was generally regarded as good form on here?

I'm not an expert but, like the rail franchises, I bet the contracts have a fixed term. I'm against further exploitation of fossil fuels, including fracking, but if they do happen there's no reason other than corruption to allow the companies a completely free hand.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Presume your more than happy to swallow 5% sh1t....any more would be wrong obviously 🙄

Show me unequivocal evidence that its 5% shoot???…..you cant, the only thing full of shoot, is you im afriad

Salty seadog

Which brings us back to regulation.

I don't trust most politicians to put the medium to long term interests of the public ahead of their own short term electoral chances, which is why I think we need strong, independent regulation and monitoring.

I think we’re in violent agreement again.

I have worked for an industry regulator - not connected with the utilities being discussed here - and have seen both the benefits and the dangers of the revolving door, particularly at the top of the organisation.

Top Bottom