Jubilee - celebrate, ignore or bemoan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

I come here to learn; I'd be interested in your views and how you have come to those thoughts.

FishFright

Stretching it a bit to call Jones, Cook & Matlock 'session musicians'! They were 3 street kids who could play a bit & used to hang around in Malcolm McLaren's shop. Really they were no more 'manufactured' than 99% of bands that manage to get beyond playing pub gigs.

That's the myth Mclaren created, Steve Jones became a very successful session musician in the US immediately after leaving the Pistols. A handful of years later he was the best payed session guitarist around and regular road player for Iggy Pop.

Also it was Lydon that hung around in his shop and was payed to model their clothes before getting the lead singer job.

Mclaren rewrote their history for The Swindle film.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Do you?

What have you ever heard on this forum to change your mind? I assume that's what you mean by 'learn' ?

My views have changed as a result of discussions on this forum, and yes, I do expect to see things differently as I learn.

Sometimes I see the strength of an argument or point, and sometimes I see the weakness in a less well made point.

I'd be interested to hear and discuss well reasoned arguments supporting any and all views.

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
That's the myth Mclaren created, Steve Jones became a very successful session musician in the US immediately after leaving the Pistols. A handful of years later he was the best payed session guitarist around and regular road player for Iggy Pop.

Also it was Lydon that hung around in his shop and was payed to model their clothes before getting the lead singer job.

Mclaren rewrote their history for The Swindle film.

With a band like the Pistols it's always been hard to tell where myth & fact converge, or otherwise. I haven't followed Jones' career particularly post-Pistols, aside from being aware he had some success as a musician in the States. As far as being a session player's concerned, it's not uncommon for competent & versatile musos who achieve success as a band member to move to a session career after the band comes to an end, and it would be my assumption that was what he did, rather than him being a session player prior to the Pistols.

I know a few pro session musicians and the career can be highly demanding on a lot of levels, not least to be able to perform note-perfect in any genre with little or no preparation, to the satisfaction of a producer or MD when you're on the studio clock. I rate Jones as a guitarist but I'd be surprised if he's worked like that - I'd imagine if he was booked for a session it's because the producer or artist wants Steve Jones sounding like Steve Jones on their record!

mudsticks

Squire
So it's simply: "You're wrong loser, hahahahaha!", is it? Nothing more? Nothing at all?

Not forgetting the perennial old chestnut .

"Why does any one care about this stuff, why do you bother talking about it.??"

On a forum specifically dedicated to ...

"Talking about this stuff"

It's straight outta

"ignorant pub bore"

Central casting 😊

D

Deleted member 28

My views have changed as a result of discussions on this forum, and yes, I do expect to see things differently as I learn.

Sometimes I see the strength of an argument or point, and sometimes I see the weakness in a less well made point.

I'd be interested to hear and discuss well reasoned arguments supporting any and all views.

Examples?

Mugshot

Über Member
It's a hard one really, Boris not so much but my gut thoughts on life in general are so far removed from the opinions of people on here It's obvious I'm pretty Right wing.

I'm beginning to see the appeal...

1654719490180.png

You're very quick to sling around insults about the left, and the lefties on here. You're always happy to be the man on the Clapham omnibus, speaking Wetherspoons common sense. But the fact is you never back it up, what are you voting for other than salty liberal tears? You're making yourself and your family poorer and removing their freedom and opportunities. What do you think you're winning by supporting Johnson and the Tories?

D

Deleted member 28

I'm beginning to see the appeal...

View attachment 1393

You're making yourself and your family poorer and removing their freedom and opportunities.

What do you know about my financial position, I can afford a below inflation payrise because I have a decent job.

I don't want to work or live abroad, not that we still can't, so I've done nothing to prevent them from doing anything.

I'm sure if and when Labour get in power we'll all be 'living the dream ' and the world will be as good as it was when Tony was in charge.

icowden

Legendary Member
I'm sure if and when Labour get in power we'll all be 'living the dream ' and the world will be as good as it was when Tony was in charge.
I doubt that, but surely it can't be any worse than the current situation?

Top Bottom