Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It's a larger than a normal cubicle for more than one reason. One of those being the fact that often there's a carer helping the disabled person move.

That everything is available in that one "large enclosed cubicle" is in no way different to the fact that there's everything in an able bodied toilet.

If all toilets were unisex but with a large cubicle in them so that disabled people could use them, do you think this would have any impact on safety for people with limited mobility, if that was their only option? Would it be less safe for say a woman who doesn't need a carer but uses a wheelchair?

(Some toilets do have a large disabled cubicle obviously, but they usually have a separate disabled loo too).

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
There are no urinals in women's toilets. What on earth are you talking about?

In some 'gender neutral' toilets there are a row of urinals and one or more cubicles. You have to walk past the urinals to get to the private cubicles. It's the easiest and cheapest way to make facilities unisex as all you do is put a gender neutral sign on the Gents.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...eatre-all-gender-toilets-women-uncomfortable/

Not a problem if there are plenty of separate, easily accessible facilities as well. It is a problem if unisex is the only option.

multitool

Shaman
In some 'gender neutral' toilets there are a row of urinals and one or more cubicles. You have to walk past the urinals to get to the private cubicles

I've never seen anything like that. Ever.

And I don't know why you've started talking about gender neutral toilets. It's nothing to do with what I was talking about.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
You suggested that if it wasn't a problem for disabled people of both sexes to use a disabled toilet, why should it be a problem for men and women.

If separate male and female toilets are allegedly absolutely essential for health, safety and dignity, why are disabled people expected to share just one toilet between all genders? <Somewhere in a distant galaxy, Aurora's circuits explode>

I pointed out the false equivalency. I know old habits die hard, but feel free not to mention me by name in your posts.

CXRAndy

Veteran
If separate male and female toilets are allegedly absolutely essential for health, safety and dignity, why are disabled people expected to share just one toilet between all genders?
There is no if, it is essential for reason you listed. Disabled toilets are one large separate room with a lockable door, usually located near to the front toilet facilities for accessibility of male and females toilets.

Being disabled means you're male, female or the new 'multi' categories TiM or TiF.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
trans identifying male, trans identifying female.

We all know the trans collective love their acronyms

Congratulations, you've invented one I've never heard of and I suppose I'm part of this "collective" which is also a new on me.

Collective implies that all of us alternative types outside your "silent majority" have the same agenda which couldn't be further from the truth. I know that's hard to accept because it's what you've been led to believe but if you actually cared to properly find out about the generally preferred term of "community" you might find out quite a lot and realise what diversity is actually about.

Because a large enclosed cubicle, with its own loo and washing facilities, used by one person at a time only, is not the same as a unisex toilet with a row of urinals and a few cubicles where there may be several people at once.

Are there any unisex toilets in the UK where, French fashion, women walk behind/around men peeing in urinals?

multitool

Shaman
There is no if, it is essential for reason you listed. Disabled toilets are one large separate room with a lockable door, usually located near to the front toilet facilities for accessibility of male and females toilets.

Being disabled means you're male, female or the new 'multi' categories TiM or TiF.

And yet there are shared toilets in pretty much every small cafe, restaurant and workplace. All cubicles have locks.

In some 'gender neutral' toilets there are a row of urinals and one or more cubicles. You have to walk past the urinals to get to the private cubicles. It's the easiest and cheapest way to make facilities unisex as all you do is put a gender neutral sign on the Gents.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...eatre-all-gender-toilets-women-uncomfortable/

If that is as described then I agree it's unacceptable but like @multitool I've never seen anything like that in the UK.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
If that is as described then I agree it's unacceptable but like @multitool I've never seen anything like that in the UK.

I have. Some random club in Shrewsbury where I was at a white collar boxing event. The urinals were in a row opposite the cubicles and the facility was gender neutral. There were a few confused glances occasionally, but even as the night wore on and people were in advanced states of refreshment there was no bother at all. Nor, to my knowledge, has there ever been.

Hell, I used to work as a general skivvy in clubs which had gender neutral toilets before they became a focus of people's concerns. There weren't any issues then either.

And while I appreciate this is my experience, it is one which is generally shared, despite what *insert right wing ideology pedalling source du jour here* would have people believe.

classic33

Disabled toilets are usually set seperate from either men's or women's toilets. The door, just like the door in any other toilet, is lockable. The fact it's usually the outside one is down to their design as a single cubicle and seperate facility.

If being disabled means I'm automatically in one of the groups you listed simply due to disability, where are you placed?

Top Bottom