F*ck the Tories: a Thread Dedicated to Suella Braverman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
I just used a random word generator to pick a word with its definition. The word was 'bore' meaning the tidal flow up an estuary. I honestly can't remember the last time I used that word. I don't think I've ever used it in a conversation down the pub. Does it really need to exist?

Having spent a lot of time in pubs I can confirm the existence of bores.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Dammit - TMN to @Milkfloat!

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Yes, you are quite correct, there aren't 200 obviously. That would be daft. it's only 'over a hundred' genders according to material taught in UK schools.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...-programme-tells-9-year-olds-100-genders.html

The guy who invented the term 'gender identity' was John Money. His second most famous act is a notorious and horrific experiment on a child, forcing him to adopt the social role of a girl, and which ended in suicide.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money

Just a thought, but I suspect that the forced transition and the sexual abuse might have done more to push him over the edge than did the naming of a concept.

The decision to raise him as a girl has a lot to do with gender identity of a more traditional kind, does it not? The conviction that, without a penis, he could not be a man?

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Fair enough, I assume these conversations required you to confirm you were a born male rather than a woman who had changed sex?

This, after all is the only point I'm trying to make, the rest of your experiences I have no issue with.

Not really, my biological sex wasn't under discussion. However the fact that I don't experience any conflict between my physiology and my perception of myself was, in contrast to my trans friend, an important thing to express and understand, in order to better understand them - and be a better friend to them.

Fwiw my perception of myself wasn't, and isn't, 'Ordinary Normal Blokey Bloke'.

D

Deleted member 28

I just used a random word generator to pick a word with its definition. The word was 'bore' meaning the tidal flow up an estuary. I honestly can't remember the last time I used that word. I don't think I've ever used it in a conversation down the pub. Does it really need to exist?

I use that word on occasion as I tat about with engines, specifically 2 stroke Lambrettas, so bore and stroke are often spoken about.

Poor choice on this occasion old bean.

mudsticks

Squire
Not really, my biological sex wasn't under discussion. However the fact that I don't experience any conflict between my physiology and my perception of myself was, in contrast to my trans friend, an important thing to express and understand, in order to better understand them - and be a better friend to them.

Fwiw my perception of myself wasn't, and isn't, 'Ordinary Normal Blokey Bloke'.

This is where so much of it hinges imo.

I have no problem calling myself woman, both biological sex, and gender woman, I have never felt like, or wished to be a man.

Despite doing lots of things that are 'trad male' I don't have any desire to be perceived as male.

But I do know people who really don't feel at all comfortable with their 'born into' gender.

They really feel at odds with it, physically and socially.

Some identify as non binary, some identify wholeheartedly as the 'other gender' and are going through the physical process of transitioning.

If they feel that strongly, then I'm not going to tell them they're 'wrong'.
I don't think what they're doing is wrong, nor does it threaten society.

I guess because I'm not in the world of competitive sport, nor have had any problems arising from their identifying as whichever gender they've chosen, I'm far more interested in being an understanding and accepting friend, than feeling any need (or any right) to challenge their feelings about their gender, or how they identify.

I guess if I was a hyper competitive sportswoman, and was feeling 'threatened' by what is probs in reality a very small handful of transwomen , winning everything in my field then I might feel differently.

Tbh I've got a lot more of a problem with hyper competitive sports, and what all that does to the human body, and our mentality, than I do with the idea of people making adjustments to their own bodies or even 'presentation' so that they feel more 'comfortable' in the world .

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I use that word on occasion as I tat about with engines, specifically 2 stroke Lambrettas, so bore and stroke are often spoken about.

Poor choice on this occasion old bean.

Well no. The point was that it's a word that I rarely use, not one that you rarely use. Also, context is important. The specific usage I quoted was a tidal bore, not that of an engine. And I use the prefix 'cis' all the time, not in the context of gender, but because I'm a chemist.

So it's actually a perfect example to illustrate my point.

winjim

So you don't use the term when referring to gender then, why are you even commenting then?

I sometimes use the term when referring to gender. I'm sure at a push were someone to engage you in a conversation about the tidal flow in an estuary, you might use the term 'bore'.

D

Deleted member 28

I sometimes use the term when referring to gender. I'm sure at a push were someone to engage you in a conversation about the tidal flow in an estuary, you might use the term 'bore'.

And yet still no answer to WHY this term is necessary when referring to gender?

Do people really need reminding what sex someone was at birth?

winjim

We didn't have a word for the colour orange until as late as the early sixteenth century.

mudsticks

Squire

It's used for clarity.

It refers to people whose gender assigned at birth, aligns with their gender identity.

It's a term used by people in social or professional circumstances who have to be aware that not everyone s birth or biological sex aligns with their own perceived gender.

It seems unlikely that you will ever find yourself needing to use it as I suspect you don't often find yourself in the kind of company, or professional situation where it's necessary.

People working in health, education, and engaged in a whole range of other occupations and situations will use it from time to time for clarity, and as an acknowledgement of the situation of others.

You probably don't need to worry about it, at all.

Top Bottom