F*ck the Tories: a Thread Dedicated to Suella Braverman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
When you're talking about material reality though, you aren't poetically describing an esoteric experience. You are looking for words that accurately and meaningfully describe something that already exists in objective reality. Gravity exists in objective reality. It existed before someone called it 'gravity'. The 2 immutable sexes of mamals exist in material reality and have done long before humans arrived to find words to name them.

The groping has long been done and there were only ever 2, mutually exclusive, possible outcomes.

If only it were that straightforward..

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Article on the BBC today about the erasure of women causing problems and noting than "men" is not being similarly erased...:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61731994

It's absolutely rife at the moment. You could say 'Women and Transmen' and 'Men and Transwomen' if you are talking about medical stuff, but that's seemingly unacceptable.

If only it were that straightforward..

I'm sure you're not going to suggest there are more than 2 sexes, so presumably you mean gender identity - a nebulous concept that means different things to different people, or means nothing at all to others. Which is fair enough, but it's hardly something that should be considered a sound basis for legislation, which is what some would like.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.

Snort!

'Esoteric' suggests unusual or rarefied or exclusive. But hauling ourselves out of the seamless "flow of plasm healing" into a dusty ossuary of linguistic fixity is a journey 'everyone' undergoes as an infant. And, if we're paying attention, which we all repeat in abbreviated form every time we wake from sleep.

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
At least we're back on topic with a Tory minister going off on one.

D

Deleted member 28

It's a 'term of art' used in discussion rather than a label.

But you know that.

We're almost there, and in what scenario do you think the need to invent such a ridiculous 'term of art' would ever arise?

WTF does 'term of art ' even mean?

D

Deleted member 28

Don't forget that there is only one Real World, and that is a flatulent corner of the public bar at The Swan.

There are plenty of other places in the real world too, the telecoms industry or the world where people go to watch football or the one where people go cycling or ride motorcycles or where like minded people jump in their campervans and spend a few days having fun in the fresh air, yet not once in all my years of being in those places have I or anyone else I've been with needed to explain that I/they were in fact the same sex now as they were when they were born.

Now again, can anyone explain WHY you think this 'term of art' needed creating?

D

Deleted member 28

"If it's never happened to me, it doesn't exist" is one Hell of a revealing take.

Have you ever felt the need to confirm you're the same sex now that you were when you were born then, or have you heard other people doing it on a regular basis?

I'm asking people in what scenario such a thing happens regularly enough to warrant a term creating for it, it's a very simple question to answer if it's that much of a common occurance.

Surely if it was that necessary people would be saying it all the time?

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Have you ever felt the need to confirm you're the same sex now that you were when you were born then, or have you heard other people doing it on a regular basis?
I've had deep, fascinating and eye-opening conversations with people who experience gender dysphoria. Back in the 90s, when I had a bandmate and very close friend who was transitioning, the vocabulary we have now to discuss the subject wasn't in common use but would likely have made communicating and understanding various aspects of it easier.

So in short, yes.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I just used a random word generator to pick a word with its definition. The word was 'bore' meaning the tidal flow up an estuary. I honestly can't remember the last time I used that word. I don't think I've ever used it in a conversation down the pub. Does it really need to exist?

D

Deleted member 28

I've had deep, fascinating and eye-opening conversations with people who experience gender dysphoria. Back in the 90s, when I had a bandmate and very close friend who was transitioning, the vocabulary we have now to discuss the subject wasn't in common use but would likely have made communicating and understanding various aspects of it easier.

So in short, yes.

Fair enough, I assume these conversations required you to confirm you were a born male rather than a woman who had changed sex?

This, after all is the only point I'm trying to make, the rest of your experiences I have no issue with.

Milkfloat

I just used a random word generator to pick a word with its definition. The word was 'bore' meaning the tidal flow up an estuary. I honestly can't remember the last time I used that word. I don't think I've ever used it in a conversation down the pub. Does it really need to exist?

I have a sneaky suspicion that pub bores are fairly common, enough in my local for everybody to think I have a bladder problem and need to visit the toilet more often than most.

Top Bottom