Enhanced Britishness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unless you believe the act of intercourse itself is violent.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a physiological difference between the act when carried out by force and as part of consensual activity.

The drunken scenario in the case you mention is different again; she was, in the Crown's case, in no position to consent

Pale Rider

Veteran
Not sure how to take that?

I will assume it. was light-hearted ;)

Cracking a joke has never gone down well on here, so you are far from the first comedian to 'die' on CC.

Some members make a northern club audience look soft.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a physiological difference between the act when carried out by force and as part of consensual activity.

The drunken scenario in the case you mention is different again; she was, in the Crown's case, in no position to consent

The only illegality is absence of consent.

If all rapes had to be violent, this likely wouldn't be one.

Most people would agree what allegedly happened between these two should be rape.

I think it should be, and the fact the rapist in cases such as these didn't have to overcome physical resistance doesn't make the offence any less serious.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Be assured, I have not died........ yet ;)

You'll be familiar with the old tale of Sid James literally dying on the stage of the Sunderland Empire.

Slightly spoiled by the fact that strictly he collapsed on the stage, and died a short time later in what is now Sunderland Royal Hospital.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
You'll be familiar with the old tale of Sid James literally dying on the stage of the Sunderland Empire.

Slightly spoiled by the fact that strictly he collapsed on the stage, and died a short time later in what is now Sunderland Royal Hospital.

Yes, I remember that.

Wouldn't want to make jokes about heart attacks. I have had one (heart attack), but, wouldn't want to offend other's sensibilities by joking about it.

mudsticks

Squire
While I quoted Paley's post, I carefully removed all reference to the violence/rape discussion, and, I used the words "on this if nothing else", (clue, I don't agree with him), so, why do you. assume, I support or agree with his opinion on the rape/violence discussion?

IMHO, it is possible to disagree with someone without being offensive. Perhaps, I am too delicate for this "zone"?

Sorry I had the temerity to make a small joke, clearly, I am not licensed to joke, how do I join?

Oh you're a victim too , being prevented by the mean woman, from 'joking'.

You can do what you like , make jokes, disagree away.

State your case, express your ideas, even tell us about your feelings

And I can do the same .

You can disagree, I can disagree, that's how it works.

And if you see me Rider, just remind him that non consensual sexual contact, or even threat of it is what rape , and sexual abuse are .

They are sexual violence.

It's clearly defined, and understood, by most adults

Whether that fact is respected by some adults is a whole nother matter.

mudsticks

Squire
Yes, I remember that.

Wouldn't want to make jokes about heart attacks. I have had one (heart attack), but, wouldn't want to offend other's sensibilities by joking about it.

Excuse me , but you're the one who started in about me joking around with Archie .

When it was clear what was happening.

Seems to be the 'sense of humour' failure isn't quite so one sided after all .:rolleyes:

The only illegality is absence of consent.

If all rapes had to be violent, this likely wouldn't be one.

The Bradford case doesn't meet your basic criteria. The complainant did not submit to avoid violence; she was compliant but allegedly too drunk to give proper consent.

I don't know why you keep banging on about this so called non-violent rape; you're on your own.

On the jokes thing surely we can accept, as a community, that a certain level of joshing between forumers is OK. I think most of us who have had a relative with dementia can see the funny side; in some ways it was a coping mechanism.

If it touches an unknown nerve with another participant than an apology should be sufficient.

My maternal Grandmother was probably a very early victim of Harold Shipman, in his Houseman days at Pontefract. I'm not going to throw my toys if his crimes are mentioned in a way that's supposed to be funny.

Compared to Paley's assertions about rape the offence Richter scale barely moves.

BoldonLad

Oh you're a victim too , being prevented by the mean woman, from 'joking'.

You can do what you like , make jokes, disagree away.

State your case, express your ideas, even tell us about your feelings

And I can do the same .

You can disagree, I can disagree, that's how it works.

And if you see me Rider, just remind him that non consensual sexual contact, or even threat of it is what rape , and sexual abuse are .

They are sexual violence.

It's clearly defined, and understood, by most adults

Whether that fact is respected by some adults is a whole nother matter.

Have I said anyone prevented me from joking or disagreeing?

It may have escaped your attention, but, I have joked (perhaps poorly) and disagreed on various subjects.

Since you include it in a reply to me, would you care to highlight any post in which I have condoned sexual violence, or, indeed ANY form of violence?, indeed, I expressly said I disagreed with @Pale Rider ' s comments on the subject. Disgreeing with him does not mean I have to be abusive, or, perhaps we could say "verbally violent" toward him/her. Indeed, as you rightly point out, we are all adults here.

BoldonLad

Excuse me , but you're the one who started in about me joking around with Archie .

When it was clear what was happening.

Seems to be the 'sense of humour' failure isn't quite so one sided after all .:rolleyes:

No sense of humour failure here. I suggest you read the post(s) again, I was enquiring as to when it was acceptable to joke about subjects which may cause offence to others.

mudsticks

Squire
No sense of humour failure here. I suggest you read the post(s) again, I was enquiring as to when it was acceptable to joke about subjects which may cause offence to others.

I know you were.

But I don't think, nor do I believe you think that joking about memory loss, or heart attacks is on anything like the same level, as making what are clearly offensive remarks about sexual assault .

It's not just me, who finds it offensive, is it.??

And then doubling down on same, even when many people have stated how offensive they find it.

I would even be particularly sensitive about memory loss or heart attacks if we were discussing them in a general context, where someone was personally talking about the issue rather than with one particular individual.

It's context isn't it.??

I think you get all this anyway, but for some reason want to paint me as either humourless.

Which seems quixotic, the number of times you've laughed at my jokes

Or suggest that other people who are being picked up on their clearly offensive language, are being victimised .

This is not the case either .

Top Bottom