Concentration camps and global warming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Bob there got it.
'At least with the Telegraph there's no pretention, just fascism, PR puff pieces to keep them afloat, and to be fair a good crossword.'

matticus

Guru
Indeed.
Publicity given to another breakthrough moment few months back.

SLIGHTLY off-topic, but I don't object to fusion research*; because the spin-off benefits in science and engineering progress are enormous. Roll-on the next 40 years! Rather like space programmes (these space telescopes are a very expensive way to take photos).
Other opinions are available.

*(there is some on my doorstep, as it happens!)

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
SLIGHTLY off-topic, but I don't object to fusion research*; because the spin-off benefits in science and engineering progress are enormous. Roll-on the next 40 years! Rather like space programmes (these space telescopes are a very expensive way to take photos).
Other opinions are available.

*(there is some on my doorstep, as it happens!)

Name one, ignoring the billions put into the economy and lots and lots of bums on seats.

matticus

Guru
Name one, ignoring the billions put into the economy and lots and lots of bums on seats.

Teflon. And
those cool pens that write upside-down.

Next!

p.s. we'd only put those billions into some even more pointless part of the economy. Like PPE firms that go bust 2 years later, whilst under fraud investigation ...

matticus

Guru
I was referring to Fusion research.

OK, I admit I guessed that ... sorry. I knew about Teflon without doing any research - I'm pretty sure we could dig up some stuff from the fusion projects, but I'm too lazy. I'd guess heat-proof tiles have come on a bit? Energy transmission in big bursts probably?

OOh, hang on!!! Here's a guess: Waste disposal. Every time they upgrade or decomission these things, they learn about disposal of new types of dangerous (usually radioactive) substances.
10 points to Gryfinndor :angel:

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Doubt they spent much at all. It was a Fisher pen they used.
And Teflon dates back to 1938.

icowden

Legendary Member
Every day is a school day, it would appear MRI Scanners have been at least improved as a spin-off, if not developed. There may be other stuff.

First Google hit here

Yup.

Good read here too:
https://www.energy.gov/science/articles/fusion-research-ignites-innovation

In a nutshell, a great deal of research on semi-conductors and decreasing the size to atomic level. Thus improvements to cell phones, tablets, computers. Also aircraft carriers (EMALS launch system), synthetic limbs and robotics thanks to development of new ultra-tough materials, and radioactive material detection thanks to development of portable radiation analysis tools.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yup.

Good read here too:
https://www.energy.gov/science/articles/fusion-research-ignites-innovation

In a nutshell, a great deal of research on semi-conductors and decreasing the size to atomic level. Thus improvements to cell phones, tablets, computers. Also aircraft carriers (EMALS launch system), synthetic limbs and robotics thanks to development of new ultra-tough materials, and radioactive material detection thanks to development of portable radiation analysis tools.

Indeed. Innovation and (calculated) risk taking, are good things, IMHO, we used to understand that once, before the Bean counters and pessimists took over.

FishFright

The article states that 90% of cheese and butter produced in Ireland is exported which suggest they have a very big surplus of milk, and hence dairy cattle way above their needs. Ireland also exports a lot of beef too, again producing a surplus.

But, however you cut-it, we need to get used to a world with very, very reduced supplies and consumption of beef and dairy...and it needs to happen now, and needs to happen quickly - See 'Running-ùp that hill' thread....

Do you think there is any chance of this happening until well after its too late ?

Top Bottom